It's Official!

willem

Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Wow Rick,Jerry and kim,,,this was great,,I enjoyed that..more please

Willem

PS,, Don't ever play a NY song sitting,,just throw your guitar on your hip and swing like him..lol,,,very cool a bassman with harmonica too..don't saw the blonds yet!!!

Hydroman52

Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:55 pm

This is from the the upload to the "Busking Neil Young" thread:

daryl wrote (in the Busking Neil Young thread):
Great! Did it feel weird NOT facing bassman Jerry? The sound quality is great (except for the occassional feedback). Your voice was great. Loved how you moved right past that first bad chord. Loved the applause. Thanks for the upload!
Daryl - Actually, we've been set up similar to this in the garage for the past few months in anticipation that it would be how we would be positioned during a performance. We figured it would be best to have rehearsals as close to the real thing as possible. That way more things would be familiar and less of a shock to deal with when the big day arrived. Sound was only through the camera mics. Fortunately, my brother was at the party and was able to set up and operate the video recorder or else there would have been no videos. It would have been nice to use my DR40 recorder to plug directly into the sound man's soundboard to get optimum sound. But, once the sound man arrived with the PA gear, it was a whirlwind of unfamiliar activity just getting ourselves set up to perform. I think my voice is too whiny, but thanks for the vote of confidence on that. Yup...on any mistakes, you've got to keep grinding away and don't look back. Applause is good! Thanks for watching.

familyman4 wrote (in the Busking Neil Young thread):
Thank you for sharing your video with us! Except for the occational feedback I really enjoyed the performance...

It was fun hearing your group together. I think this is probably the dream of almost everyone on the site. To have a few folks that enjoy the same music and getting together to share your llove of music with others. Congratulations!

Please keep posting! We will keep enjoying what you give us....

Bart

Bart - Thanks for the input. It's very much appreciated

Hydroman52

Hydroman52

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:20 pm

Craig - Thanks for watching. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I was living vicariously through others on this site.

Willem - Mr. Young can get a bit wild at times. The blonds happened later in the evening. Thanks for watching.

Hydroman52

AcousticAl

Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Loved that! Would've loved to sit in on it too!

Thanks for sharing this. Are there other recordings I missed?

Hydroman52

Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:24 pm

dekotaj wrote (in the Busking Neil Young thread):
Hydro Bravo!!!

Good sounding band.Looked like it was a lot of fun.

The very best to you and the band. BRAVO GUYS!!
Kev
Kev – Thanks for watching. Appreciate your support.

jimi40 wrote (in the Busking Neil Young thread):
Great job!

One of my favorite songs to play, wish I could sing.
Jimi – This is my favorite Neil Young song to play. I’ve seen Neil in concert a few times many years ago and this was in his acoustic set. I was never close enough to see him play the chords in the chorus up the neck. I knew it sounded way cool. Thanks to the Internet and YouTube, I was able to learn what (or should I say, close to what) he is doing there. It’s the shakiest part of the song for me while performing, because I need to look at the neck for those big moves and chord changes. When I do that, I tend to “look away" from the mic and the vocals trail off and become weak. It’s all a balancing act that comes with time. Hope you’re able to pull something out of this. Thanks for watching.

Al – Whenever I think of who I know that can sing Neil Young, it’s you. You would have been most welcome to jump up there with us and do that if you had been there. In fact, it would have been required. There are more recordings, and I’ll be posting a few more as I get time, so stay tuned if you are interested.

I finally found where I posted Out on the Weekend before this live version. You can see it here for comparison if you like:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/149 ... =200#72903

The next song up in our set was Old Man, another Neil Young tune. I will be posting that one shortly.

Hydroman52

Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:20 pm

Okay, the second song in our set was Old Man. I usually have this one down pretty good, but it was fixing to storm and you will hear the thunder and maybe even see some flashes of lightning. This is where a rogue wind turned the pages on my song notes. I let it all bother me and promptly sung the wrong lyrics and then missed a chord change. Then, in a sick act of serendipity, the wind turned the notes back to the correct page. The rest wasn’t too terribly bad except for the flubbed outro. Oh well, I’m sure everyone (except myself) has forgotten about it by now. HA!

I was having trouble staying on the mic (lack of experience on my part) and the sound man lent a hand to help me out. Lots of distractions, but this is a good lesson in plodding along and ignoring them.

We played the song straight forward and fairly simple. Bassman Jerry and Drummer Kim did a good job on it. Considering my skill level and the situation, I'm pleased with the outcome. It is what it is. No frills......warts and all.

daryl

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Hey Rick. Love seeing these videos. You (and the band) did a good job covering up the "warts and all". I thought it sounded good and I'm sure things only got better after this with the nerves settling down and all.

willem

Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:55 am

love it,,just a great tune..thx for sharing..

Willem

AcousticAl

Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:25 am

Sweet!!

I'd say 90% of the audience wouldn't have noticed the flubbed lyrics. But I guarantee that 100% of them would have noticed if you started over! Point is YOU KEPT GOING.

Great job, Rick.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:54 am

Great videos Rick, really enjoy seeing you guys play! You did a great job on that Old Man intro, the guitar sounded really good and authentic. You sing these songs so well too. If I was there, I'd have bought the band a round of beers for sure!
Chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic