It's Official!

Hydroman52

Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your comments and encouragement. We appreciate every one of them. I’ll answer all the questions, but it may take a couple of sittings. We have video of our whole set, but I can’t release any of it, yet. I need to let the rest of the band see it and make sure they are okay with posting it. Some of the numbers have people from the audience dancing in front, so I don’t know about posting those without permission. I’m just sorting through the video now. We took a week off of rehearsal, so the soonest I’ll be talking with the rest of the band will probably be at next Wednesday’s rehearsal.

Daryl – Enjoyment level 100%! Over half the set I played an acoustic. I sat down for that. We did a few numbers where I played electric, and I stood for those. Standing with the electric seems natural, because I’ve been doing that since I bought it about a year ago. The reason that I don’t stand with the acoustic is that I haven’t gotten my strap to fit it the way I like (not enough time). Regardless, I would probably still sit for most of the acoustic numbers.

Jason – Thanks for the congrats. Glad you enjoyed it. Rockstar life. . . . . more like retirement life. HA!

Cory – Thanks for the comment, but Jeff?? ROADTRIP???? OHIO???? Have you been smoking the cooking oregano (or cooking the smoking oregano) again, or am I missing something? I’m sooooo confused. To be honest, the FIB (Friendly Illinois Brethren) borderline from Rockford to Chicago makes me a little nervous. Rockford to Dubuque is the preferred crossing point. All in good fun . . . . thanks for tuning in.

Craig – If I get the okay, you’ll have video of this gig to watch. Thanks for the encouragement.

Al – Out on the Weekend is a good song for us to start with. It’s easy enough to do and we know it fairly well. Jerry gets to loosen up with the harmonica playing, too. Soundman Steve was adjusting volumes and there was a little bit of unexpected feedback in some places. I’ve been playing this one since I was a teenager, so I can usually grind through it without thinking much. There were a lot of distractions, and I got used to dealing with them on this one. Singing? Good question. Here’s the breakdown of the 15 songs:

Lead – Rick 7 ; Bassman Jerry 7 ; Drummer Kim 1
Background/harmonies – Rick 3 ; Bassman Jerry 8 ; Drummer Kim 2
No singing at all – Rick 5 ; Bassman Jerry 0 ; Drummer Kim 12

It was good to take a break. Many of the songs are a bit of a reach for me.

Have to hit the road for a little while, now. Will post more when I get back.

Hydroman52

Hydroman52

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:05 am

Back with more replies to all you girls and guys

Bear – Thanks. You may be able to see us play, if some of the video that was recorded flies by the rest of the band and gets approved to be posted.

Pierre – Good to hear from you. Bassman Jerry was carefully planning this for about the past year. It was a great ice breaker for the band and especially for me. He knew the crowd would be supportive, we’d be able to play through professional equipment, and we’d have a sound man to take care of the technicalities. So that was a couple less things that we had to worry about. It made it a fun experience for me without too many responsibilities.

Ness – Thanks for the support. I’m hoping someone else can gain something from it just like I have benefited from others who have put up their own performing posts. I’ve found out that you can learn to play guitar, but that is only one facet in the larger jewel of performing. Perhaps you may want to comment sometime, or, perhaps we could start a thread on gigging tips. It seems that a number of us have already started doing this, and a number of others are destined to do it in the future. One thing that helped me out was Dennis’ article in the Taylor magazine. Good tips in there on playing out for the first time. Here's a link to the post for those that missed it:

Dennis’ open mic article post

Here is a link to download the .pdf version of Summer 2012 Wood and Steel magazine where Dennis' article appears (scroll down the page to see archived issues):

Download Summer 2012 Wood and Steel magazine here

Bill – Thanks for the support. Appreciate hearing from you.

Michele – No album, but next on my bucket list is to play an original song at a live venue. Already have a few on the drawing board.

Tom – Hadn’t thought of it like that, yet. Thanks for the support, but I’m afraid the only way my autograph would have any value is if it would be on the bottom of a check.

Stay tuned. More later.

Hydroman52

thereshopeyet

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:02 am

Hydro

What a great summary.
Sounds tense.......

When I read number 1 in the list...... time stood still for me !!! :ohmy:
How you managed to account for anything after that ..... Wow !!

Thanks for sharing.

Dermot

Hydroman52

Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Still more replies . . . . .

David – I have no reply for that. My lifelong goal is for complete anonymity and only a dime in my pocket when I die. Thanks for tuning in. Hope you're able to get something useful out of this.

Jeff – Yes, can’t wait for the next one. We’ll open for a different band next time. And we have about a month and a half to work on improvements and new material. Here’s the set list you asked for (in order):

Out on the Weekend – Neil Young
Old Man – Neil Young
Walk on the Wild Side – Lou Reed
Don’t Carry it All – The Decemberists
Doolin Dalton – The Eagles
You Don’t Know How it Feels – Tom Petty
San Francisco Bay Blues – Jesse Fuller (Eric Clapton – Unplugged version)
Lost in My Mind – The Head and the Heart
The Weight – The Band
Looking Out My Back Door – Creedence Clearwater Revival
Cinnamon Girl – Neil Young
All My Loving – The Beatles
Secret Agent Man – Johnny Rivers
Sweet Home Chicago – Robert Johnson (Eric Clapton version)
Calamity Song – The Decemberists

We also had two songs in reserve that we didn’t have time to play. They were:

Green River - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Mary Jane’s Last Dance – Tom Petty

As you can see, a number of these songs are lessons here at TG, and the others, I applied some of the techniques learned here to get them to the point where they are right now. It's all good fun.

Have to leave for a while, again. Sort of busy here on Independence Day. More later.

Hydroman52

Hydroman52

Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Hydroman52 wrote:
Cory – Thanks for the comment, but Jeff?? ROADTRIP???? OHIO???? Have you been smoking the cooking oregano (or cooking the smoking oregano) again, or am I missing something?
Cory,

My apologies for the herbal abuse accusations . . . . . I was missing something. I completely missed Jeff's (jrocket) post on his performing out in Toledo, Ohio. I just had time to check it out a couple of minutes ago. Now everything is perfectly clear. My face is red . . . . . me stupid.

Hydroman52

Hydroman52

Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:17 pm

Wow, where does the time go?

Bob – Thanks. See my reply to Bear.

Chris – What can go wrong, will go wrong. The lesson to learn is to shrug it off and move on. Easy to say, but not always easy to do. A total melt-down is not good.

Hydroman52

Hydroman52

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:25 am

Chas – Don’t know about the T-shirt thing, but thanks for the support.

Willem – I like the way you think. Two blonds after every show! A blond beer . . . and a blond roadie.

Bart – Glad you tuned in. The support is always appreciated.

Kev – Our Quad Cities music connection. We are certainly having fun and enjoying it. Working on that video.

Dermot – Yup. Your video is just about what I saw right before the opening number. Thanks for tuning in.

Hydroman52

lueders

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:56 am

Hydroman52 wrote:
Hydroman52 wrote:
Cory – Thanks for the comment, but Jeff?? ROADTRIP???? OHIO???? Have you been smoking the cooking oregano (or cooking the smoking oregano) again, or am I missing something?
Cory,

My apologies for the herbal abuse accusations . . . . . I was missing something. I completely missed Jeff's (jrocket) post on his performing out in Toledo, Ohio. I just had time to check it out a couple of minutes ago. Now everything is perfectly clear. My face is red . . . . . me stupid.

Hydroman52
No worries, Rick! Lol! :) :)

Hydroman52

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:56 am

Thought I'd attach this here after uploading to the Neil Young busking thread. I think Bassman Jerry and I posted another version of this from one of our earlier rehearsals. This one is with Drummer Kim and is my first song performed in front of an audience. We had a few distractions (thunder, lightning, a little rain, wind, mic feedback, etc.), but that was good. We had a kind audience that overlooked any mistakes I made, and I know how to deal with that stuff, now.

Hydroman52

Craig

Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:11 pm

That was great! I loved it. It looks like everyone was having a good time. The band and the audience! I hope to someday be able to participate in something like that. In the mean time, I will live vicariously through you!!

Thanks for sharing with us.

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic