Song for Renate

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:40 am

I enjoyed hearing the stories from the guitar camp about song writing with Al Stewart and it made me revisit some ideas I was tinkering with aeons ago while learning to get to grips with various aspects of playing the guitar. On this one I was trying to get a bass line going and I always seem to gravitate to Am when attempting song writing. So I thought it was about time to record it... and as I went that far, why not share it and get feedback?

I know its simple but I was able express my feelings of what was going on at the time. Ralf taught me the first first basics on guitar and I taught him and his mum, Renate, tennis. Renate fell ill some years later and had an awful fight against cancer which soon became hopeless. It was a grey autumn.

Song for Renate – The Browns of Autumn

The leaves are falling, the winter is calling
The browns of autumn taint your life, taint your life

It seems like yesterday
You were just a child who’d love to play
And now your hair and your dreams have turned to grey
It’s hard to know just what to say
I feel the need to turn away
When I see you at the edge of your life

And all the dreams of summer
And all the illusions you’re under
Just like your future, they’re fading fast
It’s hard to know what truths to bring you
It’s hard to know what truth could bring you
When all your future lies in the past

Solo
And all the dreams of summer
And all the illusions you’re under
Just like your future, they’re fading fast
When all your future lies in the past

daryl

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:11 am

Yep. Very impressive all around. Great lyrics. Great playing - fluid and smooth. Sad song.

Craig

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:00 am

Nice job Chris! I like the song, it's really good. The bass run has a good "catchy" quality to it.

Craig

familyman4

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:08 am

Hello Chris,

I've listened to your song a couple of times now. The second time, I read the words along with your singing. Then, I read the words w/o music, more like reading a poem.

Anyway, you did a really mice job putting this together. No doubt it is a very personal song, written from the heart. It's a sad song. One that can only be understood from someone that has been through a situation of watching a loved one grow old and knowing that this life as we know it coming to an end. Hits too close to home for me so I will probably not be able to listen to it again for a while. But, that's my issue to deal with. Your song is very nice and mucically well played.

Thanks for sharing...
Bart

Music Junkie

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:31 am

Chris:

First of all, as usual, the vocals were amazing. I agree that the song is very sad, but there is an inherent beauty in that. Very honest and heart felt. Mega kudos on the lyrics. Very well versed. The playing was solid as well, I loved the little runs you placed in there to fill in. I would love to be able to create my own song someday. If it could be 5% as nice as this one, I would consider it a huge success. Also, thank you for the back story to this song. I know it was personal, but it really put the song in great perspective and showed where you were coming from. Kudos for that too!

Amazing job! B)

Jason

tombo1230

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Jason has kinda said it all for me really. :)

That was very well done Chris. I think the best songs come out of personal experience like this one has.
You sing from the heart and it just flows beautifully. Well done matey that was sad but brilliant! :)

Tom N.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:45 pm

Many thanks for listening in Daryl, Graig, MJ, Bart and Tom! Much appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment.

Thanks Daryl, I value your view greatly as we have worked many times together and I know you will hold up a true mirror for me.

Bart, thank you kindly for listen through more than once, I know that it needs that when hearing a song for the first time but it takes time and attention to do so, so I really appreciate that. Thanks for the kind comments and I am sorry to have hit a chord with you in the theme of the song. Its tough stuff and we westerners are not good at handling the subject of death. Daryl made the comment that the music is upbeat for a sad theme. I would never be able to play it if the music was sombre too! This is my way of dealing with it.

Hey Craig, how's it going? Haven't seen a post from you in a while, about time, eh? Thanks for the continuing support!

Thanks Jason, you are always very supportive and such a positive spirit here and on FB, I look forward to hooking up in the flesh sometime soon! There was always supposed to be another verse but over the years it never materialised. I have learned that if you have the inspiration to write, it will come to you and flow... and if it dries up, then that's it you can't force it. I have tried to go back and change the line,
as this reads to me a little bit like Germanised English, but there again, Renata was German and that's the style of English we spoke together. So I left it. I may insert a simple solo in the middle section as I've been doing a lot of solo work recently.
You really should have a go yourself to write if you feel the urge, its a very enjoyable and satisfying thing to do and with your story telling style of singing, it would go well!

Tom, thanks a lot, yes from the heart, the only place to come from and you know that Englishmen cannot get enough therapy in that area! It always takes quite a bit before I express my feeling but I'm always glad when I do. Sod the stiff upper lip thing!

thereshopeyet

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Chris

Great song and touching.

Thanks for sharing.

Dermot

willem

Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:06 pm

Chris Great you wrote you a song which deals with certain feelings,,I listen ones and read all the posts,,which I'm happy I did before say something(my thoughts) a bout it,,the only thing I thought after listen ones was that I found it very happy sounding(like Daryl),,now I know you wanted it that way,so all good!!!

Nice Lyrics,,

Willem

haoli25

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:35 pm

WOW, Chris!!! What a beautiful song and you already know how much I love to hear you sing and play. Excellent performance, my friend. Now I will go back and watch the video a few more times. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic