Song for Renate

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 pm

Thanks for tuning in Sandy, much appreciate your kind comments!

Oh and BTW Pierre, yeah I borrowed Miss Ale's Seagull to play this as the BSG is not yet here...

jayswett

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Loved your song. Very powerful. I would imagine you have a number of other songs that you have written, and I hope to hear them at some point. Really nicely done on this song.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:14 pm

Hey Jay, great to hear from you! How's it going? Many thanks for tuning in and for your kind comments.
Yes there are a couple more songs hiding in the bush but they don't seem to want to come out to play just yet :-). Maybe one or the other will persuade me to record it and then I would share.... in time.

TGNesh

Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi Chris,

Moving lyrics, that's for sure....don't change a bit..

This is of course just my honest personal opinion, the first time round it sounded way too uptempo to me. Hearing it for like I think the third time now, it kinda starts to grow on me. I of course read your reasons for that, which I can imagine.

The thing that occurs to me the most are the bassnotes, to me they sound cut off and rushed, so my suggestion obviously would be to try to sustain them (it'll sound more smooth/relaxed/flowing), unless you intended it that way, then it's a matter of taste (is that correct english in this context? :dry: ). And actually, the same goes for how you sing. You must know that I think you have a gorgeous voice, it's just that you tend to keep notes quite short, I've noticed that in other songs sometimes as well, i would like longer notes. I also would have liked at least one more minor chord (for example Dm or Em). Except for Am, it's all very 'major', to me too bright for such sad lyrics.

All in all, my feedback feels like that it's indeed really a matter of taste, it's just my opinion, then again, you asked...! ;)

Ness

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:57 pm

Thanks for taking the time Vanessa, I know you were busy!

I think I'd like to have clearer bass notes but with my thumb and a capo on, I can't get that. I can get a better sound and sustain using my index finger nail, which is what I use instead of a pic but sometimes its just my poor technique. So yes more sustain.... and in the vocals, hmmm, I will see what I can do on other songs with that as I can't slow this one down enough to get there! But thank you for your opinion, which I certainly value... which is why I asked... and thank you for your kind comments!

Can you live in my spare room so that I can just shout out when I need expert advice? :-)

Chris

dekotaj

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:04 am

Hey Chris BRAVOOOOO!!!!

The leaves are falling, the winter is calling
The browns of autumn taint your life, taint your life

It seems like yesterday
You were just a child who’d love to play
And now your hair and your dreams have turned to grey
It’s hard to know just what to say
I feel the need to turn away
When I see you at the edge of your life

And all the dreams of summer
And all the illusions you’re under
Just like your future, they’re fading fast
It’s hard to know what truths to bring you
It’s hard to know what truth could bring you
When all your future lies in the past

Solo
And all the dreams of summer
And all the illusions you’re under
Just like your future, they’re fading fast
It’s hard to know what truths to bring you
It’s hard to know what truth could bring you
When all your future lies in the past

Great lyrics. Fit the song very well. And as always the vocals were just fantastic ! BRAVO Sir!!

Kev
PS. After your video ended a screen shows other videos to watch . I watched you test video. and to my surprise you were playing one of my all time favorite Gordon Lightfoot tunes. ( cold on my shoulders ). It was a song on top of my list of songs to do when I started playing again. Never got around to it. After watching your test vid. I am going to start( cold on my shoulders ) this weekend. Thanks buddy. Have a good one Chris and say Hi to Miss Ale.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:22 pm

Hey Kev, thanks for dropping by and commenting!

Cold on the Shoulder, oh, yeah, love it, looking forward to what you do!

jayswett

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Would love to see you play this at the IGC in September. A pipe dream, I know, but one can hope.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:58 pm

Thanks for listening in Jay! I look forward to the day when we can play something live together.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:07 pm

I am desperately sad to share with you the news I just received. My friend Ralf, Renate's son died of a heart attack on Saturday. Never answer the phone at 2.30 am.

Farewell my friend and thank you for all the music we shared together and your giant, giant heart!

Irgendwie Frei (Somehow Free), by Ralf Vogel, R.I.P.

Have made a new thread to say goodbye to Ralf.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic