Additions to Daryl's pretty little doodle - version 3 - Hey Honey

michelew

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:00 am

Well Daryl sure has spurred some creative activity around here.

Here is my current attempt to develop a song starting with the progression in open G that Daryl developed and posted a few weeks ago. It's been great seeing how Tom and Claire and Daryl and I have ended in different places after starting with the same inspiration.

I've made some changes to Daryl's original post. I slowed it down a little and increased it in pitch by a whole step to make it easier to sing and also because it fitted the mood of my lyrics a little more. I also inserted a two bar phrase from Daryl's playing to emphasise the end of the verse, because I liked the echo effect and to also give me a chance to catch my breath. Daryl had actually sent me a version with harmonic in it originally. It reminded me of an answering machine and inspired me to write the storyline in the song. So that's in here too.

I haven't recorded video because of all of the manipulation I've made to the track, so it's audio only. I was going to add a few more tracks, "ooh" harmonies and maybe have a go at some little frilly bits on the guitar. But... I think I've gotten to the point where I need to leave it alone. Just getting the balance right is driving me crazy.

I must say I do enjoy the process of adding to a track once I have a starting point. It's fun. Though the process always gives me a greater appreciation for singers.

I hope you like it.

Daryl thanks for the inspiration, encouragement and suggestions. Another fun project.

Hey honey

Hey sweetie, honey, babe
I just called up to say...hey, ey, ey, ey, ey, ey
Hey honey how's your day
You're in my thoughts I have to say
My heart it aches, my head's confused
I need another dose of you, ou, ou, ou, ou

Hey sweetie, honey, babe
I can't get you off my mind today

When we spoke yesterday,
I felt a million miles away ay ay ay ay
I know you couldn't stay
But I wish we had more time to play
I miss you now, I always do
Whenever I'm not close to you

Hey sweetie, honey, babe
I can't get you off my mind today.

Can't wait to see your face,
To hear you laugh
and sing with grace,
I miss your easy style
and all the passions you embrace

Hey sweetie, honey, babe
I need your hand in mine today
Body intertwined with mine
You know I need you all the time.
We'll play a crazy twister game
Laughing all the while hey ey ey ey ey.

Hey sweetie, honey, babe
You're in my heart and mind today
Can't get you off my mind today
I can't get you off my mind ... every day.

michelew

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:03 am

OK attaching a file didn't work. I guess I'll need to make a video after all ... get ready for an overdose of pictures of my pooch :)

daryl

Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:39 am

Just fantastic! Nice melody, lyrics, singing, and bass playing. You voice is nice and strong. You've become quite the audio editor! Cute dog too.

Music Junkie

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:06 am

Young lady...... :)

Shel, that was very, very beautiful. Strong vocals, and sweet lyrics. The pooch was cute too... ;)

I love that You, Daryl, and Tom & Claire have all come up with such varied works on this. It really speaks to the strength of Daryl's original tune.

Thanks for sharing your version, Shel! B)

Jason

MarkM

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:50 am

Wow Michele!! Very impressive. I wish I had some of that skill set. You have really done an outstanding job with this. You should be very proud of yourself.

MarkM

willem

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:28 pm

Fantastic Michele..its an happy song,,really nice singin...

Willem

PS earwurm!!!!

TGNesh

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:07 pm

Wow.....Shel!

What a cute, lovely, with a sad touch-song you've created!! :cheer:

Love your high girlie-notes :P (you're so good with those!!) and your bass playing, simple and effective, how cool! B)

Like I already kinda mentioned, your song sounds kinda cheery, but it also has a sad feel to it, I do like that combination. Reminds me of 'Help' by the Beatles, it's uptempo (not that your song is uptempo or the same, just reminds me), gives it a sort of happy feel, but the lyrics actually scream literally for 'help'.

Keep the creativity coming, too cool and very well done! (Reminds me of the 'noodling around in double drop D', we should finish it ;) )

Ness

michelew

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:08 pm

Thanks everyone. It was a fun project. I highly recommend giving it a go if you have the inclination. Of course it doesn't need to be adding lyrics. You might do an instrumental version or take some different approach.

Daryl - I'm glad you like it. Thanks for giving me another opportunity to exercise the grey matter. Maybe one day I'll provide the progression. Stranger things have happened right? Now that you've kicked off your song writing with such a cool song, you've GOT TO keep it up. There's still time for those gold star dreams to become a reality. ;)

Jason - Hey old man. :P When are we going to see something from you? Bite the bullet. Thanks for the praise. Yep Daryl started us off with some nice sounds. What do you hear in there?

Mark - Thanks! :blush: I'm sure song writing is like most things. You've just got to start trying until you're at the point where you're achieving your goals. Doesn't the the consciously incompetent phase of learning absolutely suck! But... My guess is you're actually really capable of putting a complete song together. You probably just need to get started and stick with the bits that you don't feel you're good at. I wish I could get beyond the lyrics that rhyme stage. :) I'd be more than happy to try to assist you with lyrics if you've got a doodle you'd like to turn into a song. You know where to find me. :)

Willem - Thanks! Since you can play this, how about going the next step? Earworm...haha! Believe me it's going around and around my head too. Except my singing is awesome in the version I'm hearing. :)

Ness - sweet sad song... Well you know I'm a fan of the emotionally complex song... Girlie notes, haha! Yes I've finally just accepted that my voice is stronger when I sing like that. :p. Dropped D noodle, well I'm working on a cool project at the moment, but as soon as that's wound up I'd love to. Thanks for being so supportive sweet woman.

Thanks again everyone.

Shel

Music Junkie

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:18 pm

michelew wrote:
Jason - Hey old man. :P When are we going to see something from you? Bite the bullet. Thanks for the praise. Yep Daryl started us off with some nice sounds. What do you hear in there?

Shel
If you look hard enough, you might find something I did recently...shhhh, don't tell anyone.... :laugh:

J

michelew

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:35 pm

Hey Jason,

Gosh! My bad. How DID I miss that? I've done myself a disservice.

Good on you for kicking the nerve demon where it hurts and going for it. That was great. You look so relaxed and played it so well that it's hard to imagine why you haven't been posting regularly.

Don't stop now.

Thanks for letting me on on your little secret old man. And....don't worry your secret's safe with me I won't tell anyone that they can find your performance of the Highwaymen in the busking thread or by hitting this link

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/149 ... aymen.html

Mum's the word. :P

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic