Farewell to a great friend in music.

TGNesh

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:14 pm

So very sorry to hear that Chris......that's really sad news.....wish you strength and sending you a major hug.....

Ness

familyman4

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:52 pm

Cgris,

I am sorry to hear about your loss. There's a hole in the world tonight. I will keep you in my thoughts and play a quick tune in memory of your very close friend.

I wish I could shake your hand and / or help you in some way but just know that your extended family at TG is with you in spirit!

bart

AcousticAl

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi Chris,

Just watched the link you gave.
I am very saddened for your loss and he seemed a very talented man who was full of character! Actually reminds me of Leonard Cohen with his style.

His song does live on though.. I just listened to his upload of 'Hello again'.
I picture him toasting you and all of TG at around the 2:40 mark.
Perfect ending to the video as well.

BobR

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:00 pm

Hi Chris,

I am very sorry for your loss. Sounds like you learned a lot and had much fun. Cherish the memories

Bob

neverfoundthetime

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:15 pm

Thanks everyone for your consolations, I really appreciate the support and the respect for Ralf.

Thanks Dan, Pierre and Bob. Bart, I look forward to shaking your hand (and playing a few songs with you) and Vanessa I will cash in on that hug too!

Thanks for posting that Al, that is vintage Ralf!

Along with the music (some of it survives in videos) there are the memories. I mentioned Ralf was all heart. I was coaching tennis on Crete for Robinson club in the summer of '83 and got Ralf to come with and play some songs at the beach bar in the evening. It was the start for him of years performing at the club for 3 or 4 weeks each summer. In later years I would spend a month each year on Crete at the club playing for guests 4 nights a week for my board and lodgings (4-5 star food and fun!!). One year Ralf turned up out of the blue just to come and keep me company (he knew I enjoyed playing with someone rather than alone... I could sing but couldn't play many barre chords!). We had a blast of course. Another time we all flew together and Ralf's hand luggage contained a small dog (Frodo) illicitly smuggled on the plane and into Greece braking a number of international animal health laws! Was a bit embarrassing for him when the dog crapped in the bag in the middle of the flight! I remember a great afternoon on a south Cretan beach endlessly playing Year of The Cat as Ralf worked out the solo (no Neil in those days!). Six years ago I took Alessandra with me and we all went to Kos for two weeks of evening performances with his band, daytime practising, playing chess and tennis and lazing in the sun in a wonderful cliff-top island setting. My idea of a summer holiday. Wonderful times.

tombo1230

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi Chris,
sorry to hear of your sad loss. The song and performance on the video was different class. Your friend Ralf was obviously a very talented man.

Tom N.

michelew

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:39 pm

Chris,

That's really sad news. I'm so sorry for your loss. Ralf sounds like wonderful friend who enriched your life in significant ways.

Sending you love and monster hugs.

Shel

Xxx

Lavallee

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:57 pm

Sorry for your loss Chris, however being a little selfish, without him, I would not have had a chance to meet you.

Your friend (no hugs though...)

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:48 pm

Thank you for your caring words Tom, Shel and Marc. No worries Marc, I'll be cashing in the hugs from all the girls ;-)... we can do the Jay Leno thing with the manly shoulder :laugh: I've been thinking a lot about what it means playing music with someone... it really is another level of friendship, great to have and hard to lose.

Another Ralf Moment: I'm trying to play Something in The Air by Thunderclap Newman and I can't manage the change of key (up a half step, I think) and instead of sliding up the neck and barring at the appropriate place, I slide my capo up, snap it on and continue with the same chord shapes to compensate (sharp move!) and Ralf falls a part laughing at me! And I go, "what?!" Seemed the easiest way to do it for me! :laugh:

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:50 pm

Ralf was cremated as per his wishes and as per his wishes there will be a scattering of the ashes in the forest nearby his home in central Germany on the ides of March followed by a monumental bash where he has asked all his musician friends to hold a huge party in his honour and play the hell out of as many songs as we can. He said, he'll be listening.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic