Original Song from Tom and Claire. Isn't it Funny......

tombo1230

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:55 am

TGVanessa wrote:
That was really great Tom and Claire! Steady playing and great vocals!! :cheer: (Musically, I, in particular, liked the turn to E in the chorus :) )

Gosh....heartfelt and painful lyrics.....there is no emoticon for it....

Very well done, both of you!! Yeah, I like the beard too! :P

Ness
Thanks Vanessa,
yes the E just did the job on the last line of the chorus. F to E to F just sounded right for the emotion, well spotted, but
I knew if anyone would spot it, then you would. B) :)

Tom N.

tombo1230

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:13 am

michelew wrote:
WOW!!!

That was beautiful and deeply moving. Tom and Claire that's something you should both be very proud of.

Tom your playing couldn't have been more solid. It formed a great foundation for Claire's gorgeous singing. I loved the emotion Claire put into her singing. The melody was great and felt really natural. The harmonies were lovely. The lyrics.... captured the love, pain, loneliness and longing so well.

It reminded me of a 50's country song. Or...A slow "It's my Party..."

This is begging to have addition tracks added to it. Keep playing it and developing it. It's such a wide open canvas still that the possibilities as enormous, perhaps a little mandolin-type sound, bass, rhythm (even some simple hand claps), a second guitar. You could really get into it and have a band of Tom and Claire's supporting the beautiful original Tom and Claire track. I say fantastic job and keep having fun building on it.

Tom now that you've revealed your secret identity of song writer, don't fight the urge to show us more. It's very inspiring.

Thanks for sharing your song writing skills and showing us how it's done.

Shel
I am truely bowled over by your comments Michelle, wow! :)

Interesting how one song can conjour up another in the mind, always facinating to me.

I agree that more layers could be added, I thought maybe partial chords on the high strings as an arpegio may sound good or as a lead,
could take it to a new place musically. There is much scope for creating something new. I actually love playing this, it is fun. It is a fairly straight forward progression, but changes a bit at the chorus to change it up a bit. Only five easy chords (one bar) so most folks could play it.

If I come up with something else I like, i.e. a new song, I will post it, definately! :)

I am somewhere on the bottom rung of songwriting but will keep at it as it is a great pastime and definately helps on the musical/guitar learning journey and most importantly is great fun!. :)

Thanks for your comments. :)

Tom N.

willem

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:15 am

Hello Tom and Claire,,all the goodies are told so I just want to add my fantastic!!!!

Here and there sounded it a bit familair in my head,,,and then Michele brought the light to it,,,''its my party''!!!

well done keep on writting etc..

Willem

tombo1230

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:51 am

willem wrote:
Hello Tom and Claire,,all the goodies are told so I just want to add my fantastic!!!!

Here and there sounded it a bit familair in my head,,,and then Michele brought the light to it,,,''its my party''!!!

well done keep on writting etc..

Willem
Hi Willem,
thanks for watching. Maybe it's in the same key. There are maybe hundreds of songs that have similar chords.
I am not hearing It's my party, but I hear other songs all of the time in new songs so I get what you are experiencing.

Thanks for the encouragement and the 'fantastic,' too kind. :)

Cheers,

Tom N.

michelew

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:49 pm

Hey Tom,

It wasn't the progression of your song that reminded me "It's my party ...". I think it's the mood and something about Claire's singing. I haven't got back to listen ...so well I could have the wrong song completely. None of that matters of course.

M

tombo1230

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:53 am

michelew wrote:
Hey Tom,

It wasn't the progression of your song that reminded me "It's my party ...". I think it's the mood and something about Claire's singing. I haven't got back to listen ...so well I could have the wrong song completely. None of that matters of course.

M
Hi Michele,
a friend of ours whose ex husband was a pop singer has said that Claire has a country voice, maybe that's it.
Myself I think her voice lends itself to many styles. I don't like to label her, but She likes Ballads or big belter type songs herself.
she is lucky to have a great vocal range.

Sometimes she just gets into a mood for singing and will sit for hours and just sing and play all kinds of stuff, just for fun.
It's very entertaining for us. She can do songs from obscure bands or well known ones that sound great! Hopefully she will do some for posting sometime. She still hates the camera like most of us though. :( :) I think we are having a sort of relaxed jam tonight. B) Good fun! :)

Tom.

dekotaj

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:01 am

daryl wrote:
WOW. Not sure where to begin. That was just fantastic. Touching lyrics, beautiful melody, the guitar sounded great, loved the harmonies, your playing was rock solid with perfect tempo. And of course I loved Claire's smile at the end! I'm so glad you finished the lyrics and posted this!

After watching this great performance quit a few time. I could not have said it any better. BRAVO!!! The two of you. Really enjoyed it.

Thanks
Kev

auntlynnie

Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:20 am

Tom and Claire,
Everyone has already said it all, but I'll just add my admiration for both of your performances.
It is a really solid presentation. Guitar and vocals are excellent!
I think that songwriting is such growth experience for us as guitarists - whatever our level.
Good for you!
Thanks for posting this and looking forward to more,
Lynn

tombo1230

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:20 pm

dekotaj wrote:
daryl wrote:
WOW. Not sure where to begin. That was just fantastic. Touching lyrics, beautiful melody, the guitar sounded great, loved the harmonies, your playing was rock solid with perfect tempo. And of course I loved Claire's smile at the end! I'm so glad you finished the lyrics and posted this!

After watching this great performance quit a few time. I could not have said it any better. BRAVO!!! The two of you. Really enjoyed it.

Thanks
Kev
Hi Kevin,
thanks, coming from you that means a lot.

Cheers my friend.

Tom and Claire.

tombo1230

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:30 pm

auntlynnie wrote:
Tom and Claire,
Everyone has already said it all, but I'll just add my admiration for both of your performances.
It is a really solid presentation. Guitar and vocals are excellent!
I think that songwriting is such growth experience for us as guitarists - whatever our level.
Good for you!
Thanks for posting this and looking forward to more,
Lynn
Thanks so much Lynn. I wrote this before last years IGC and have been playing it regularly ever since.
It only got the last verse added last week after Chris asked to hear it. The feedback will push me on to do more.
All the feedback is very much appreciated. :)

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic