some notes from a songwriting workshop

auntlynnie

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:32 pm

I'm new to this particular TG Board, but I do think about songwriting quite a bit. I'm fascinated by the process and really enjoyed watching the Paul Simon interview that someone posted here.

Yesterday I attended a songwriting workshop by Michael Peter Smith. He wrote The Dutchman and Spoon River (both made famous by Steve Goodman). But he's written hundreds and hundreds of songs. I thought I'd post here what I gleaned from the presentation, for whoever cares to read it. I'm going to number the thoughts just to keep them separated. He did not present these as a numbered list.

1. Songwriting is a very personal process. Write to please yourself. Sharing a song is like showing someone your diary entry. He suggests working and working on a song until you have it where you really, really like it and can't imagine it getting any better. Then be very careful who you show it to. He says he trusts audience reaction rather than a single person's reaction.

2. Make a list of the songs you really, really love (the ones you can listen to over and over and over). Study them, learn them inside and out, and maybe see if there are similarities among the songs. Understand the chord progression, the construction of the songs. Look for common patterns that appeal to you on an emotional level. How do different chord progressions make you feel emotionally?

3. Consciously use other songs as a guide to writing songs. Most songs are reminiscent of other songs. When looking for a style of a song, ask yourself, who would sing this song? McCartney? Sinatra? Elvis? If you imagine someone singing it, it can help the process along.

4. Record whatever you are working on. Lots of ideas get lost by failing to record. If you come up with something you like, put it away for a few days, then listen to it again. Same for lyrics. John Prine says he puts lyrics in a drawer for a few days and then looks at them afresh - the bad lyrics just fall off the page.

5. Also use the recordings for self-evaluation. He suggests giving yourself feedback in the third person. For example: "This guy needs to play a little slower" or "I wish he would shorten that intro" or "this guy's singing needs work on that chorus" etc. You get the idea. He says to treat yourself gently, like a child, and this third person style of critique works for him.

6. His primary subject is himself. He feels that that keeps his writing unique. But you don't necessarily say that the song is about you. You put yourself in the character of the subject.

7. Ideas for practicing songwriting. Set paragraphs, phrases, poems, letters, newspaper stories to melodies. He actually got a job for the Broadway play "The Grapes of Wrath" setting specific selections of the book to music. As he worked on that, he asked himself, who would sing this? in what style?

That's about it. Again, this was just one person's thoughts on songwriting, and comes through my scribbled notes, so take it as you will. I just wanted to share it, in case it is helpful to anyone else.

Cheers,
Lynn

TGNesh

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:55 pm

That was absolutely very interesting!! Thanks Lynn! :)

Ness

michelew

Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:47 pm

Lynn,

Thanks so much for posting this. There's so much to think about and help you along.

Thanks!

M

willem

Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:41 am

Great points, maybe a song is never ready till its a hit!

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic