Recording sucks when....

TGNesh

Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:19 am

Thanks Shel, all good! ;)

michelew wrote:
I'm sorry Ness I didn't mean it to sound like you had made people feel they shouldn't record. Though of course I can see why you might have taken that interpretation from it.

I've adjusted my post to hopefully give the message I was intending to give.

I've experienced a lot of the frustrations you've mentioned here myself.

I had always intended to post another thread that told the other side of the story. Recording can really suck, but we all have reasons why we still do it, why it's worth pushing through the frustrations.

It's all good!

Love your work.

Shel :kiss:
:kiss:

spinland

Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:24 am

Music Junkie wrote:
Recording sucks when..... You just haven't figured out how to line up an external audio file with your video file...
Already a lot of great comments downstream that help with this, thought I'd toss in one more easy trick based on my film work:

You see those slates with the scene info they hold up when the film starts rolling, and there's a "clapper" they snap? That's to create a sharp, well-defined sound spike that can quickly be matched to the video frame where the clapper hit. Then the two tracks start out pretty closely in sync, fine tune to taste. I've started putting in one quick, loud strum before I begin playing "for reals" so when I'm editing after it's easy to slide the two tracks (mostly) into sync right off the proverbial bat.

Mark

michelew

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Mark - excellent tip about creating a sound spike at the beginning of a take. I didn't know that that was why a clapper was used. I often sync to spikes, so doing it deliberately is a brilliant strategy.

M

TGNesh

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:22 pm

That's just too funny!! :laugh: Ms. Brilliant video producer doesn't know about the clapper and Ms. 'opposite of a brilliant video producer'/'sucks at producing videos' dóes know about it, whaha! :laugh: :laugh: :P ;)

michelew wrote:
Mark - excellent tip about creating a sound spike at the beginning of a take. I didn't know that that was why a clapper was used. I often sync to spikes, so doing it deliberately is a brilliant strategy.

M

michelew

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:26 pm

Ness - :P :P :P

That might just be the most intellectual thing I say today. :D

BTW - I've never been accused of not being able to be an idiot. :D you've certainly seen proof of my abilities in that department before. :)

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:33 pm

So you thought you could sync in Word or on Pdf file or something Shel?! :woohoo:

What's the sound of one clapper clapping (for)? :laugh:

Sorry my dear, you know we love you. :)

michelew

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:04 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
So you thought you could sync in Word or on Pdf file or something Shel?! :woohoo:

What's the sound of one clapper clapping (for)? :laugh:

Sorry my dear, you know we love you. :)

Bloody hell!!! Everyone's a bloody expert! Except me. :P :P :laugh:

I thought it was just to show the official start of the piece of footage, I guess. Never really thought about it before; that it produced a sound spike. It makes perfect sense.

What's the sound of one hand slapping you on the bum for being a smart-arse?!? :woohoo: :laugh:

:P

Rbinding

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:12 pm

In lieu of an official clapper, I usually clap my hands together 3 times to get a good visual cue and spike. Why 3 times, I haven't a clue. :)

Ron

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:16 pm

I'd just like to point out that it is ok to say "arse" on Shel's threads. :laugh:

Can't you tell, vacation, mountains and hugging my guitar is really doing me good! :P :laugh:

Edit: And you can say it in English too, bum! :laugh:

michelew

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:29 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I'd just like to point out that it is ok to say "arse" on Shel's threads. :laugh:

Can't you tell, vacation, mountains and hugging my guitar is really doing me good! :P :laugh:

Edit: And you can say it in English too, bum! :laugh:
"Bloody" is OK too. :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic