Recording sucks when....

michelew

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:03 am

I just read this comments from Sandy and brilliant response from Bill. Believe me Sandy we've all been there....SO many times. The number of times I'm in the home stretch and think, "this is a pretty good take" and then my mind gets distracted by the thought that I might mess it up and sure enough... Thinking is doing. :)

I thought I'd start this thread as a bit of therapy for us all about our recording woes (or attempts to record, or even dreams of recording a video).

sandysue wrote:
Hi Bill

I've learned Fire and Rain now, and I play it everyday. I really love that song. I've been trying really hard to video myself playing and singing it, so that I can post it on TG but I keep making a mistake or two just when I think I'm on the home stretch. After about the 100th take my poor left hand starts wearing out and I have to go put my guitar down for a while. But one of these days soon I'm gonna get a decent take and then I will post it. :)

Sandy
wrsomers wrote:

Sandy - I feel your pain about recording jitters. I've more than once gotten almost through a recording only to mess up in the last measures. I can give you a tip about that: Don't worry about making mistakes, it happens to EVERYONE. Rev. Blind Gary Davis said if you worry about making mistakes you are doomed to fail. In other words, stay in the moment; almost always we make mistakes because the worry of failure or the excitement of completing something successfully takes us out of the moment and we start thinking ahead (or looking back to a tiny mistake we just made). That's when we mess it up. I'm a golfer and have had that happen to me many times...I reach the 16th, 17th or 18th hole at or near par and I start thinking about shooting a career round, then boom, it all falls apart. Same thing for music. Hope this helps.

Bill

A couple of days go I had a similar but different and very deflating experience.

"Recording sucks when" you finally do a really good take, the sounds quality is great in garage band; and then you go to review the video only to find that you didn't press 'record' this time.

Ahhhh!!!! :S :blink: :( :woohoo:

So complete the phrase "Recording sucks when..."

I'm sure there are a million of them. :)

Michele

TGNesh

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:21 am

Great thread Shel! I can relate for sure. :laugh: :S

Will be back another time though, need to record a play through, lets see in how many takes I can do that. :P

Ness

daryl

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:26 am

Recording sucks when......you've played perfectly in tune and in time until you reach that final ending strum and it comes out with a buzz or is muted or is missed entirely or....

michelew

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:28 am

Hey Ness! Yeh it would be great to hear your experience. Somehow it's comofrting to know that brilliant performers like you experience recording frustrations too.

Good luck. I hope you get a take you're happy with the first time. :)

michelew

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:30 am

daryl wrote:
Recording sucks when......you've played perfectly in tune and in time until you reach that final ending strum and it comes out with a buzz or is muted or is missed entirely or....

Daryl that's a beauty! Doing a good take but then ending on a dud note is the pits! Of all places for it to happen. :)

dekotaj

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:22 am

daryl wrote:

I feel your pain brother. That crap happens all the time. Sucks the mood right out of ones gut.

Music Junkie

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:43 am

Recording sucks when..... You just haven't figured out how to line up an external audio file with your video file... I have to practice in a very noisy environment every night (fighting with the TV). So the only way I will be able to get a video done, is to record the video normally, but also record another audio directly into my computer and then use that audio with the video file I have. When I try it, I just struggle with getting it lined up correctly.

Great question Michele. I imagine that most of us will have some things in common in this thread. :)

Jason

TGNesh

Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:38 am

Recording sucks:

When you've had the flu and your voice just won't heal. :S

When everything just doesn't sound right, vocals (flu), guitar (new strings, buzzes..)

And yes, all that Daryl said. (Suite Judy Blue Eyes, If You Could Read My Mind, Vincent)

Unfortunately no one take for today. :S :( :angry:

michelew wrote:
Hey Ness! Yeh it would be great to hear your experience. Somehow it's comofrting to know that brilliant performers like you experience recording frustrations too.

Good luck. I hope you get a take you're happy with the first time. :)

wrsomers

Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:56 am

This is going to be a great thread Michele!

Jason - Something to try...record your video/audio in the noisy environment; then plug your vocal mic into the computer, plug headphones into your video source and play the video/audio while you sing along into the computer mic. Sort of like lip-syncing.

All - Here's something I learned during my pro recording session at Trod Nossel (this only works if you are using a DAW like Garage Band or Cakewalk etc) : Doug Young explains how to do it in this excellent video:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/How-To/Tr ... ome-Studio

I haven't tried this at home yet but intend to give it a shot.

I hope this helps those of you that record this way.

Bill

Music Junkie

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:12 pm

wrsomers wrote:
[quoteJason - Something to try...record your video/audio in the noisy environment; then plug your vocal mic into the computer, plug headphones into your video source and play the video/audio while you sing along into the computer mic. Sort of like lip-syncing.

All - Here's something I learned during my pro recording session at Trod Nossel (this only works if you are using a DAW like Garage Band or Cakewalk etc) : Doug Young explains how to do it in this excellent video:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/How-To/Tr ... ome-Studio

I haven't tried this at home yet but intend to give it a shot.

I hope this helps those of you that record this way.

Bill[/quote]

Bill: If I am singing into the computer, isn't the Mic still going to pick up the background noise from the room (not as much on a dynamic mic, but still some).?

Thanks for the Doug Young clip. I have to tell you, he has so many great videos out there. The guy is a guru, and he is as nice as they come!

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic