Recording sucks when....

TGNesh

Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:48 pm

If someone has passed my bedroom window last night (I was about to sleep), then they must've thought I am a total nutcase :silly: :P , since I literally cracked up at least ten times, with maybe 10 seconds in between (trying to keep reading your comment)!! Just totally hilarious!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :woohoo:

But of course, not that any of those things has ever happened to me. :whistle: :whistle:

davidrfinn99165 wrote:
So after we've all checked our hair ..( yep, you too Jason!)... two more tips...

1. make sure your mobile is on silent... those txt-coming-in beeps get all over the best tracks..

2. see if you think the dogs will stay asleep for the duration of the recording.. otherwise -
- the postman arrives and the dogs bark their heads off.. all over the track
- they decide it is time to eat , start running around in circles, and pull the audio cable out of the lecky guitar into GB on the Ipad, and the video cable out the pc
- they jump on the sofa, land on the tv remote, which switches on and blasts out an advert.. all over your best take of the morning, usually in the final verse...

... not that any of those things has ever happened to me.

/ david

TGNesh

Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:49 pm

:cheer: :cheer: Thank you sweet friend! :kiss:

Voice is getting a little better, hopefully I can record the play through tomorrow. :S :)

michelew wrote:
You're a good sport Ness. :kiss:

And I'm SOOOOOO glad that you go to all of that trouble. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE watching your lessons and playthroughs (which are performance lessons in themselves). And pure entertainment. :) Love your work!

TGNesh

Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:02 pm

'Light in your eyes'. I think when you watch my videos, you wouldn't necessarily think there is a lot of light. But like Corina says, i actually have a véry bright light. It's amazing how much light you need to get a decent recording (well decent enough for a TG-lesson). So I use a Bresser SH-900 http://www.studioledpro.nl/bresser-led- ... studiolamp and yes it's very bright. :) Nowadays I cover the windows (which are in front of me), since real light (low sun or too much sun) doesn't do the recording much good.

Other than that just a HD-video camera, with an internal mic. It does the job I guess. Although it's breaking down. (Recording sucks when the take is not on the camera, even though you've really recorded it. :angry: :) ) Am afraid I need to go buy a new one soon... :S

And I obviously use a background whatever you call it, to make it look tidy enough. ;)

daryl wrote:
Speaking of "light in your eyes" what do you all use when your do your video recording?

TGNesh

Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:20 pm

I have to say Shel, since you raised the question I've realized that there are sooooooo many things which makes recording suck sometimes. :laugh: :S . Several are already mentioned in this thread. I've pretty much experienced it all. The dogs (check David's response :laugh: ), the mailman, not pressing record, hair wrong :laugh:, not getting the playing right (especially when it needs to be done slowly, for teaching purposes), drilling neighbors, screaming children outside (especially during holidays), phone ringing, emails and chat messages coming in, and still I keep coming up with more.

But to name a few more:

Recording sucks:

When after almost finishing a lesson and watching the segments to check, that you have a stain on your shirt.....%#^@%@$#%#......yes, I started from scratch again.
When after finishing the lesson, to find out that you got the main riff wrong :ohmy: .....I think that one tops all other suck-moments for me. It was a hard song to play, had worked all day on it, started around 10.00...at 19.00 I realized....'oh no, I got it wrong, how could i have missed that'. &^$%@^@%# So I had to indeed start from scratch and postpone the lesson from Friday to Monday. :( :(

In any way, there are a lot of 'check' moments before I start recording.

1 Dogs in the bedroom
2 All electronic devices shut down (the sound)
3 Is the camera rolling?
4 Is my hair right (it still isn't sometimes, haha), are my clothes right?
5 Is the guitar in tune?
6 What song was it again, which key? Haha! :P

Well I check more stuff, but those are the main things. :)

michelew wrote:
Standing in the coffee queue.

Recording sucks when ...

...the girlie hair, you've decided to grow to challenge yourself., which was fine when you did your hair check, starts crawling across your face like an army of angry fire ants and distracts you so much that you forget the lyrics you're trying to sing. :)

michelew

Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:27 pm

WOW Nessa! That's a lot of frustrations. It's just more proof of the tremendous efforts you go to to bring us you fabulous teaching and performances.

So TG community, after reading all the reasons why recording can suck that so many of us have posted, some people may wonder why we record videos at all if it can be this frustrating. Sandy may even be second-guessing her decision to just post something even if she's not 100% happy with it. So I'm going to start another thread to tell the other side of the story - why it's still all worth it. Stay tuned.

TGNesh

Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:32 pm

I hear you Shel. I guess I shouldn't chime in here, since recording a 5-8 segment lesson is a totally different story then a one song-video. Sorry. B)

michelew wrote:
Wow Nessa! That's A LOT of frustrations. It's just more proof of the tremendous efforts you go to to bring us you fabulous teaching and performances.

New propel reading this thread may wonder why we record videos at all if it can be this frustrating. Sandy may even be second-guessing her decision to just post something even if she's not 100% happy with it. So I'm going to start an antedot to this thread to remind ourselves why it's still all worth it. Stay tuned.

michelew

Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:41 pm

I'm sorry Ness I didn't mean it to sound like you had made people feel they shouldn't record. Though of course I can see why you might have taken that interpretation from it.

I've adjusted my post to hopefully give the message I was intending to give.

I've experienced a lot of the frustrations you've mentioned here myself.

I had always intended to post another thread that told the other side of the story. Recording can really suck, but we all have reasons why we still do it, why it's worth pushing through the frustrations.

It's all good!

Love your work.

Shel :kiss:
:kiss:

willem

Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:38 pm

Recording sucks when,, well it sucks.

B)

michelew

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:44 pm

Haha Willem! Yeh it sure can suck at times.

Maybe we're all just a little bit crazy. :)

TGNesh

Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:18 am

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Can't disagree there! :P

willem wrote:
Recording sucks when,, well it sucks.

B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic