Open mics - experiences and lessons learned

wiley

Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:55 am

auntlynnie

Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:02 pm

This thread about Open Mics and lessons learned is really helpful.

I’m wondering if some of the things I learned at Toastmasters may be helpful here, too:

1. Your audience wants you to succeed. They really do, so remember that they are pulling for you.

2. Find the friendly faces in the audience and look at them for support. Some people have really weird expressions when they are concentrating or listening. Avoid looking at people like that - you’ll lose your confidence wondering what is wrong. And there is probably nothing wrong.

3. Audiences want to do the right thing, so if you want them to sing along, invite them to do so. If you want them to clap along, ask them to clap, or get a friend in the audience to get that going.

4. If you are introducing the next act, or your band members, and you want applause, you initiate the clapping.

5. If you make a mistake, laugh it off, start over, make light of it, but be ok with it. If you are visibly upset with yourself, the audience doesn’t know what to do. Remember #1 - they want you to succeed and if you are telling them (through body language, facial expression, or an apology) that you have failed, they don’t know what to do.

Lynn

jayswett

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:07 pm

I would add only one more thing to what has been already said:

Don't apologize for anything prior to starting your song. Saying something like " I hope I don't screw this up" or " I didn't spend much time preparing for this" just sets the wrong tone even before you even played your first note.

michelew

Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Thanks everyone they're really good points.

Ness - good one - best not to perform when you're just too tired.

Wiley - yes sir - no stopping unless it's intentional of course. :)

Lynn - yeh all of those public speaking tips are just as important here too, especially as you generally need to introduce your song too. Good reminders. The one about finding a smiley face is a bit of a double edged sword. When I performed at the student concert in 2014 I was going pretty well until I looked down at one of the camp founders who had the biggest and smiliest "I'm proud of you" expression on her face. I wasn't expecting it and got distracted, lost my place and stopped for what in reality was a second but felt like an eternity. The audience's feedback is really important, but can be distracting if you're not used to performing. It's all experience right. :)

Jay - you're absolutely right. That's a point that Vanessa has been trying to drum into my primative brain too. Remembering that does help. Actually the fact that the audience was rooting for you was REALLY obvious at the IGC; the feeling was really supportive and helped to allow me to relax a little and increasingly each time I got up.

Thanks everyone.

Michele

jayswett

Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:41 am

A new lesson learned last night:

When you perform at an Open Mic, and completely screw things up, it is imperative that you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic