Challenge: A picture tells a thousand words... is there a song in there?

michelew

Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:02 am

So here's me returning to bring this thread back to the beginning; the stages.

David and I just posted a video which is our response to part 5 of this challenge. It's here if you missed it and you're interested.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/129 ... mbies.html

Is anyone making progress that they'd like to share?

Shel

spinland

Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:24 am

Alas, I must report a complete lack of progress thus far on the songwriting front, Milady. :blush:

Mark

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:18 pm

michelew wrote:
Is anyone making progress that they'd like to share?

Shel
Well, yes and no. its quite a story 'though. Not sure how to tell it. You know I have found it almost impossible to express in words my feelings for my darling daughter, Miss Ale, as we call her here. And so it remains, making it virtually impossible for me to approach writing a song about her and that photograph. But someone else has as Ale and I found out this weekend. This may sound incredible but I will try to relate the story best I can:

Its past 3 AM and my muted phone buzzes an sms notification at me, ever so faintly, through the fog of sleep. I really don't want to look as I have to get up early and spend 6 continuous hours on court in a few hours time. But I do. Its Ale and she is flipping out in OMG OMG mode in her text. What on Earth is going on at this time of night? She met someone earlier in the day, a musician and songwriter a nice Irish guy and spend hours talking with him together with her best friend. Cool. She mentioned that her Dad plays guitar and sings too and shows him some songs on YT. He shows her his songs on YT. They are good. Very good! They make friends on Facebook. So they are texting each other now into the night and he comes upon photos of Ale and me on FB and suddenly starts OMGing Ale very excitedly. He' knows me, he met me 3 years ago..... and tells Ale, "He saved my life!" "What?" "Yeah, he changed my life!"

What had happened? Well, I saw him busking down by the lake in Zürich and I stopped and listened for quite a while. His songs were original and good, he sings really well. I gave some coins and asked him if he was hungry? He was. Could I buy him lunch? I could. We talked for a couple of hours about music and our lives. He was feeling pretty down and out and was flat broke. I had talked about Ale and the rough time she was having, she had been in hospital for most of that year and the year before. There had been desperate moments when we could so easily have lost her, but she pulled through. It had taken a toll on me. We talked about how hard it was for him on the road, performing on the streets of Europe. We parted feeling it had been a very worthwhile meeting. I had a sense of being able pass on a random act of kindness, paying it forward.

Now, three years later he is telling Ale that he had never met someone who so deeply loved and cared for another as he could see I loved Ale. It impacted him so much he wrote a song about her, without knowing her ... and now here he was smsing with her and it blew his mind! He said the meeting changed the way he looked at life and since that day, his life had changed and he was successful in his writings being recorded by others and was enjoying performing and recording all over Europe. He now had plenty of money and had even turned down a big dollar deal in L. A. He likes his life as it now is and is working on an album release for the summer. And he tells the story of how that meeting changed his life at every concert he plays. You can imagine, that blows me away.

The song, called The Sickness, has not been recorded. But here he is performing another song Ale likes a lot and he has asked her to sing with him. I think we are all still stunned at the synchronicity and wonder of it all!

familyman4

Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:15 pm

Wow Chris, what a wonderful story! Sometimes it seems like the world is a small place doesn't it?

There is a song within this story somewhere. In fact, with all of the drama of: long- term illness, making it through against the odds, the absolute love that a man has for his daughter, the generosity of one man to another during a struggling time in his life, that struggling individual realizing his dreams because of how impactful that 2 hour lunch was, you-tube, modern electronic communication, etc. This actually has a "made for prime time movie" written all over it!!!

(I hope to hear the song written from Ale someday).

I love it when good things happen to good people!

Thank you for sharing this amazing story!
Bart

michelew

Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:47 pm

WOW! Chris that is an incredible story...

I can't even begin to fathom the connections there ... I guess in part the thing that strikes me the most is the power that acts of kindness can have. Karma is on my mind too.

And perhaps it is ... the power of love in all its forms....

I look forward to hearing more about this synchronicity; the many webs of this story that seem to be coming together like an intricate spider web.

Thank you.

M

spinland

Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:08 am

Blown away. What a wonderful, beautiful story!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic