Challenge: A picture tells a thousand words... is there a song in there?

michelew

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been inspired by Lynn's thread about your first guitar. While looking for my photo I came across a photo that is very dear to me. At one point I included it in my response to Lynn, with a little bit about my pop and a suggestion that others also post a random photo (preferably with them in it) and tell us a little about yourself. I took it down as I realized that I was taking the thread on a new tangent and pirating Lynn's thread.

But since then, it's gotten me thinking about my pop. And I've started writing a song. The theme keeps changing a little. But, it's been a nice project.

So I have a multi-part challenge for you all. Respond to any bits that take your fancy.

1) find a photo that you ready like, preferably with you in it and post it in this thread
2) tell us a little about what it means to you or a little about the moment in time that it captures; just for the fun of getting to know each other better
3) if you were writing a song - based on the photo - what would the theme / key messages be?
4) if you're inspired - write some lyrics (maybe a verse or chorus, maybe more) and share them with us - this might inspire some collaborative efforts (not unlike the pirate songs :) )
5) and if you're in the zone write the whole song and post a video. :) - again if you inspire someone with your lyrics and theme, your collaborating team may be inspired to follow it through to the finish line. That could be a heap of fun. :)

Here's mine:

My pop died when I was a teenager. This photo reminds me of the times I spent with him; especially in his shed. The song is currently jumping between a few ideas. But if it settles and if it's recording worthy, then I'll attempt to capture that and post it...unless I come to my senses. ;)

Who's up for the challenge?

Lynn with all of your wonderful photos, I imagine you've got some great stories in your photo collection. And ... being a songwriter yourself ... :) I reckon you could tick off all five parts of this challenge ... assuming you've got time to do so at the moment. That would be fabulous to see and hear. :)

Looking forward to your inspirations.

Shel

auntlynnie

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:35 am

Great idea, Shel.

I've been searching my photos for something memorable, like the one of you and your Pop.

Now I'll be on the lookout for something inspirational, too.

Lynn

auntlynnie

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:56 am

Ok, here's mine. The photo was taken at a favorite relative's place. We went there about once every summer and it was one of the best places ever, in my memory. I'm about a year old and that's my dad holding me - I never saw this photo until just a few years ago. I don't have many memories of my dad holding me, so this is a very special photo for me.

So now I'm thinking about the song it might inspire.
[img]http://1959 DVille Dad Me.jpg[/img]
Lynn

auntlynnie

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:10 am

Once again I cannot seem to be able to post a photo. Geez. Will figure it out later.
Lynn
[img][img/]

TGNesh

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:29 am

Yeah, that's driving me nuts often as well. :angry: As adviced by others, try to lower the resolution. Usually it doesn't work because the file is too big.

auntlynnie wrote:
Once again I cannot seem to be able to post a photo. Geez. Will figure it out later.
Lynn

spinland

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:51 am

It could be having problems with the spaces in the file name, Lynn. You might try renaming a copy to something simple and trying that.

Mark

wrsomers

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:38 am

auntlynnie wrote:
Lynn
[img][img/]
Lynn,
This file appears to be in html. You need to upload photos as jpeg files and lower the resolution to like 800x600 pixels. That should work just fine.

Bill

daryl

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:49 am

hmmm.

spinland

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:00 pm

wrsomers wrote:
auntlynnie wrote:
Lynn
[img][img/]
Lynn,
This file appears to be in html. You need to upload photos as jpeg files and lower the resolution to like 800x600 pixels. That should work just fine.

Bill
Ah, good catch, Bill! This is what it's trying to display:
Lynn, by any chance are you trying to post the image using the Image Link button in the top bar? If so, that only works if you have the image uploaded to a web server already and want to use that link. If you wish simply to upload an image that's on your computer you might have more luck using the "Choose File" button at the bottom of the input panel, where it says "Select image file to attach" and then clicking the [img] button to the right of that to insert the proper code into the post.

If you already know all this and I'm not helping, please ignore. :side:

Mark

auntlynnie

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:16 pm

I've tried posting it both by direct upload and via posting it first to flickr.
I can seem to get either to work. Don't know why I could do it last week and cannot manage it this week.
Argh, so frustrating!
Lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic