What makes a great song (or even a good one ;p )?

spinland

Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:03 am

Bwah! That was wrong in all the right places; loved it! :silly:

Mark

davidrfinn99165

Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:44 am

Hi shel.. a few questions..

the thread title is 'what makes a great song?'. Your text though asks merely 'what makes a good song?'
- is a great song the same as a good song?
- what turns a good song into a great song?? what additional elements would it need to have?
- is a memorable hook alone enough to make a great song, or merely a good song?
- does public reaction matter ? is the most recognised song in the english language likely to be a good song or a great song?
- is' Happy Birthday to you' a great song ?

i feel that you are the best person to answer that last question :woohoo:

willem

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:46 am

michelew

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry to be away for a while. I ran out of data so I couldn’t surf the net ouside my house (couldn’t watch YouTube videos on the bus for example) and I’ve had a very social weekend.

It’s elusive; the elements of a good song, (and especially a great one ;p ). I guess another telltale sign of a good song is the number of times it’s recorded by different people too; and reinterpreted.

David - I was actually just aiming for “good” figuring that was hard enough to riddle. But I must have had a mind snap when typing the title. So take your pick. Of course it’s all in the ears of the listener.

Lots of different types of songs here. Cool.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:06 pm

Been thinking for a while which song I'd go for as my best illustration of a great song. Have to say it would be Al Stewart's Year of the Cat. Musically fascinating, great intro and with maybe my favourite lyrics in any song and then there is the solo break going from strings to acoustic guitar to E-guitar to screaming sax, best ever solo. Vocally Al is not necessarily the greatest but his voice colours his songs perfectly. This song simply does not grow old on me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic