What makes a great song (or even a good one ;p )?

michelew

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:21 pm

Hi y’all,

Yep still in a reflective mood. And in case you’re wondering, yep!, I do have Sarah Jarosz’s latest album playing on repeat.

What makes a good song? Is it:
- a great story?
- powerful lyrics, great imagery?
- a killer bass line, a memorable riff, melodies that stick in your head?
- anything that elicits a strong reaction, a connection, emotions or make you jump up and dance?

Obviously, the answer depends on the song and a myriad of factors.

Here’s another song from Sarah Jarosz’s 2016 album, Undercurrent. I love it because the story is moving, the lyrics paint a clear picture and have meaning beyond the obvious. But, it also reaches in and grabs me on an emotional level; a sign of a good song for me. Mind you I think I’d be moved by Sarah J’s voice regardless of what she was singing about.

So, what makes a good song? Can you think of one off the top of your head that you love? What makes it great?

Want to come on this journey of deconstruction with me?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Michele

dottmcse85630

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:12 pm

I've been discovering Sarah Jarosz the past few days, quite a talent she has.

When I listen to songs, especially those that touch my soul, I'll listen and search for the deeper meaning. Yes many times a connection, a recollection. Yep and those that make ya wanna dance!
Music = Mood altering form.

As a side note one thing I really enjoy about Neil's lessons is how he goes into detail about the song/writer/writing.

Yes I am fortunate for what I have and who I am but, oh to be blessed with the ability to sing, write and play. What a fulfilling feeling that would be!

Dennis

cosmicmechanic

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi Michele,

I suspect that most of the TG community has been dug into foxholes and hunched in "The Thinker" posture since you threw that "thought grenade" out there ;)

Not that I'm courageous, but only just peeking out of my own existential trench ...

I think that to be great, a song has to have "MEANING", whether by lyrics, rhythm, melody or fondness for the singer.
If a song inspires me emotionally, intellectually or physically (to move my ass), then that does mean something.

But the meaning of "MEANING" is very elastic!
It's quite ok to ask about such things that may seem abstract, even strange, at first.
Kinda like university math, where you actually have to objectively prove the minutiae of why 2+2=4, and that effort leads to discover other surprising ideas.
Even if you can't remember any of it afterwards, you do know that it did stretch your brain somewhat. :huh:

Besides the obvious, there are endless examples of what make a great song:
For example:
- Style, like if a "crappy" heavy metal tune suddenly hits you wonderfully when hearing it acoustically by the campfire.
- Delivery, like if that same tune suddenly hits you wonderfully when hearing it sung by your favorite voice.

But others might elaborate more, will leave it to them. My own brain is still stretching (ouch!) :side:

Pierre

michelew

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:02 am

Yep! A stupidly impossible question. I never ask those right?!?! B)

And yet... I’m sure everyone has favourires. Just interested in whether you’d ever wondered WHY you love them.

;)

All thoughts in this regard are welcome no matter how esoteric, strategic, small, whatever. I guess I was wondering about specific songs and what attracts you to them. It’s all good.

Thanks for your responses guys. :)

M

abiliog

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 am

Hi Michele,
What makes a good song?....

Music is the real map of the world :)

:) the great gig in the sky.

So, the ones who drive me into the night into the light B)

I may be hide for a hundred years or more
But the song who knows what time it is
Will be knocking at the door :)

and make me dream the Leonardo's dream

Now that you've listened to my story, here's the point I have made
The ones who give me fever, be it Fahrenheit or Centigrade

:silly:

Abilio

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:21 pm

Lobbing "thought grenades" at us again Shel :laugh: (too funny Pierre!)

Well, for me, the sound and feel of the music is one thing and then the lyrics and voice is another and if there is a magic meld of those components happening, I'm listening! Justin Hayward's voice and Mike Pinder's lyrics and compositions mixed with Melatron sounds captivated me from the get-go. The themes of the songs were also captivating, thoughts on what it is to be human, on conservation, life, love, time. The story telling of Gordon Lightfoot combined with simple but great acoustic guitar playing, stories of real life. I'm turned off in the same measure by vapid lyrics and themes like Maxwell's Silver Hammer or Obladi ohblada.... I want to hear In My Life or Help. I can't ignore the lyrics of a song with amazing sound but crap lyrics, either but have to admit the drive and beat of great music will work too even with so-so lyrics.

I can remember being stopped in my tracks first time I heard a number of songs: Beatles Hello Goodbye in a NAAFI shop golfing department in Kuala Lumpur in 1967; The Stranglers, Too Precious in a Zürich clothes shop mid 80's, Dave Lee Roth's Damned Good in the corridor of the sports centre I was working in late 80's; Eva Cassidy, Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

Some songs were extraordinary mood makers at the time that still conjure the mood: Pink Floyd's Great Gig in the Sky ( Abiliog :) )and Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells were late-night teenage party dream-scapes and Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene and Tangerine Dream's Phaedra were 1980's night-time car trips across Europe in a Mazda RX7.

So, great sounds, great voices, great lyrics and great mood making come to mind off the bat for me. Thanks Shel!

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:02 pm

Semantics. Is it still a song if no lyrics are being used? Sometimes, its just a blazing performance that does it...

spinland

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Wow. Thought grenades. I love that vision.

Right now, for me, music is a refuge from the stresses and pain of my professional life; even when you’re earning filthy lucre doing what you love there’s a grind factor.

So, for me, a “great song” is one that pulls me out of my stress zone and gets me singing along with it, for better or for worse, and wanting to jot down the title for looking into learning to play it. I care not what genre, which artist, nor any other details save “I want that in my life.”

That’s my take on it. Thanks, Shel, for the mental massage. :side:

Mark

Max

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:03 pm

A great songwriter who's able to make you feel his emotions and a great guitar player to back him up.

cosmicmechanic

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:00 am

spinland wrote:
Wow. Thought grenades. I love that vision.
... Thanks, Shel, for the mental massage. :side:
Mark, that seems to the Yin and Yang of it ... and besides the mental stretching, I admit to feeling the massaging :silly:
In my previous comment, I did mention style and delivery as elements that define a "great" song.
It's sometimes interesting when these elements cross paths ... maybe less than great result ?
But this tune is one of the few I actually do appreciate from this band, oh, regardless :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic