Life Marches On

spinland

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:48 pm

Hi, guys!

One or two of you might remember when I was haunting this forum quite a bit. Neil kinda reminded me of that just now when I let him know I probably won't be making IGC 2020, and why.

So, figured I'd pop in and touch base.

One: professional upheaval. Last year I finally gave in to the fact my business was up-an-down but not nearly stable enough to rely on at this stage of my life. I'd like to retire in 4-5 years and the status quo simply was not going to support that goal. I folded my proverbial tent and took a day job which, while providing more than sufficiently to meet my financial target, leaves me with limited vacation time (a situation I haven't had to reckon with for some nine years since).

I just can't swing being able to take a week off for an IGC, not being this new on the job, not with other (especially family) commitments taking up what vacation time I do have available for now.

Two: where I'm going musically. I'm still playing open mic night on the average of one night a week. It's plugged-in-acoustic and working in sufficient practice time (including trying to add new songs now and then) keeps me hopping in a big way. I have the opportunity to play out more than weekly but I made a pact with my very-supportive spousal unit that I'd limit my musical escapades to that—plus my other current interest which is electric blues.

No, not quite Stevie Ray Vaughn, more like BB King. I'm working hard with my semi hollow electric guitar and a good amp to build my blues chops. I've been to one local blues jam that spanned three days (driveable so I could manage the time) and I'm hooked. I currently hold my own (sort of) with blues rhythm, and am often called upon to add vocals (my voice will never be what it was in my youth but constant exercise is helping a lot). My current goal is to be able to play basic-but-reasonable lead solos by this Summer. I have done some experimenting with "playing on the porch" style acoustic blues but there are only so many hours in the day and I'm not retired yet! :side:

So, anyway, that's how things have been going out my way. I regret having missed last year's IGC and most likely missing this coming one. Fingers crossed to see what 2021 will bring! B)

auntlynnie

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:21 am

Wow, Mark,
You are playing a lot and that's great.
I've heard people say that performing really helps you to improve, so that's probably the best thing you could be doing, especially if time is limited. And getting to the occasional jam has to be helping, too.
Best of luck in all these endeavors!
Lynn

spinland

Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:22 am

auntlynnie wrote:
Wow, Mark,
You are playing a lot and that's great.
I've heard people say that performing really helps you to improve, so that's probably the best thing you could be doing, especially if time is limited. And getting to the occasional jam has to be helping, too.
Best of luck in all these endeavors!
Lynn
Thanks, Lynn!

I completely agree that "getting up there" as often as I'm able has made a huge difference. It was my very first IGC open mic experience that sparked the flame, and I'm fortunate enough to have found another accepting, welcoming, n00b friendly open mic experience here locally. The blues jam is a somewhat different scene, one that I'm approaching a little more cautiously, but thus far it's been fun and the people involved likewise accepting and supportive. I'm in no hurry; I know this is going to be a years-long learning experience. Hopefully, assuming my retirement plans come to fruition, I'll have more time in a few years as well as the ability to make music a primary focus. We'll see. :side:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic