i am sooooo sorry for this....

Chasplaya

Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:15 pm

@Bigbear, I like what you say here, and true we do live in an overly PC world but unfortunately we don't seem to be able to change that. Yes I feel for poe I too have 4 kids two still in teens the other two well pretty much grown up now and yes you still worry about them, I also have two step kids who have far more 'freedom' than I'm happy about , but can't do anything about and they are also a worry.

My main concern that I keep trying to get over is that the Internet is not a safe place even on this Forum... Because simply we don't really know who reads this stuff.

In NZ news today 4 kids have been suspended from school and others censured due to inappropriate comment on Facebook, the legal eagles are having a field day arguing the rights and wrongs of invasion of privacy etc.

In Poes case the use of of 'Retards' he uses frequently I know would offend some people . I have been offline with Poe and I know more about him than some and I was trying to give advice to not only him but others also, see even my post has been misconstrued so further proving my case. I think the majority of members I have talked with both in the Forums and through messaging are good people, but I don't really know for sure! Same as they don't really know me!

6string

Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:52 am

I think that Political Correctness has gone way too far.
The Ontario Government (the government of the province I live in)
has deemed that it's incorrect to call anybody normal because nobody is
really normal, the norm is a result of statistical average but not of anyone person.
I do agree that the person who came up with that is not Normal.

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:01 pm

6string wrote:
I think that Political Correctness has gone way too far.
The Ontario Government (the government of the province I live in)
has deemed that it's incorrect to call anybody normal because nobody is
really normal, the norm is a result of statistical average but not of anyone person.
I do agree that the person who came up with that is not Normal.

In statistics you get 'norms' therefore someone somewhere must be one therefore wouldn't it be ok to call them normal, jeesh what is the world coming too. We really need someone to stand up to this invasion of our lives and minds

spinland

Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:21 pm

I hear ya Chas. I got the following email forwarded to me--I think it sort of applies to where this thread had ended up:

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years.
No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
Why the early bird gets the worm;
Life isn't always fair;
and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but
overbearing regulations were set in place.
Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate;
teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch;
and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental
consent to administer sun lotion or an Aspirin to a student; but could
not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot.
She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death,
by his parents: Truth and Trust,
by his wife: Discretion,
by his daughter: Responsibility and
by his son: Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

rcsnydley

Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:54 pm

gingold - you know there may be a song in there somewhere.

Keep Playing
Ric

AndyT

Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:48 pm

Does anyone really know why we have 'political correctness' these days? Because common politeness and decency have left the building. Bring those back and the world will change.

BigBear

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:49 am

AndyT wrote:
Does anyone really know why we have 'political correctness' these days? Because common politeness and decency have left the building. Bring those back and the world will change.
No, we have "poltical correctness" because we've lost the ability to stand up for what we believe in. We've been told not to offend anyone or we are bad people. Therefore no one speaks in plain langauge. We speak obliquely, talking around issues and not confronting them head on. Don't believe me? Look at our political system where saying one thing and meaning (and doing) another isn't condemned but rewarded with re-election.

We need to throw "political correctness" in the trash bin of history and grow a little thicker skin! Say what you mean and mean what you say!

I will now step off the soapbox and exit the building gracefully.

AndyT

Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:50 am

People used to tell me all the time that a bull in a china store had more subtlety than I did. I'm still willing to stand up and speak my mind, but now I don't hit you with a stick first.

BigBear

Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:00 am

AndyT wrote:
People used to tell me all the time that a bull in a china store had more subtlety than I did. I'm still willing to stand up and speak my mind, but now I don't hit you with a stick first.
I've never been accused of being subtle but by God everyone who knows me knows exactly where I stand. And it's always worked for me! Except of course for all those do-gooders who are too PC to tell me I'm full of (insert PC word here______) manure? LMFAO!!

Chasplaya

Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:59 am

Now i'm guessing here cos I don't know you but I believe those of us making the comments re PC B^*^$#%t these days are 'Baby Boomers not Gen X or Y

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic