i am sooooo sorry for this....

spinland

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:41 pm

haoli25 wrote:

I doubt very seriously that someone 40 years from now will be frantically searching for the complete lyrics to "I Like Big Butts".

Haoli
I agree. I'm not gonna wait 40 years--I'm looking them up now!

fxgirl

Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:18 pm

gingold wrote:
haoli25 wrote:

I doubt very seriously that someone 40 years from now will be frantically searching for the complete lyrics to "I Like Big Butts".

Haoli
I agree. I'm not gonna wait 40 years--I'm looking them up now!
OMG! LOL

6string

Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:27 pm

Somehow looking up big butts doesn't appeal to me :woohoo:

AndyT

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:36 pm

The problem I have with Rap is that it was all violence oriented. Gansta Rap it was called. well, most of it still is and frankly, it has a very negative appeal to me.

Music that is music, no matter the source, is welcome in my house, but I strongly prefer something with moral standards.

spinland

Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:00 am

I have been reading this thread for a while now and finally feel compelled to add to it. I am certainly not a "rap" fan--in fact it infuriated me when it first came out, I mean they're just talking fast in rhyme to a canned beat right? Although I admit I do remember liking Run DMC a little in the mid-80's.

Anyway, I try to refrain from categorizing and generalizing certain types of music. In fact I don't like music categories at all. As a performer I do everything from blues to medieval pieces--how can I categorize myself? Sticking labels on something and then grouping it with other things with the same "label" is difficult for me. Yes, there are elements of violence and female degradation in some rap, or hip-hop, etc., but can't one argue then that all blues music is a 12-bar shuffle with some lyrics about getting drunk/arrested and losing your woman; and all country music is about the same? A lot of famous and enduring rock songs have references to drugs in them. Should we then say that all "rock" music is drug oriented? Of course not--not any more than I can say all "rap" music (whatever that label implies) is oriented toward violence and beating up 'ho's.

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box now.

haoli25

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:05 am

Hey Gingold, I may have found a bad cover of the
Sir Mix-A-Lot song. It's called, "I Am Rather Fond
Of Steatopygia". lololol

It never intended to blasts someone else's musical
taste. I know that millions of people love Rap music
all over the world and I say 'more power to them'
I am more at odds with the management and promotion
of that style of music. I feel that they do more to
victimize Black culture rather than celebrate it, yet
hide behind a veil of 'perceived racism' toward any
group that points that fact out.

Haoli

vince20

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:56 am

Haoli--I agree entirely. Like most popular music what starts off as an organic, genuine thing turns into big business. Once the big corps get involved it becomes a packaged product and image. I agree about the victimization and role model issues--of course, my music idol growing up was Keith Richards so how judgemental can I be? :)

BigBear

Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:25 pm

I think there have always been thugs in the music business and rap may have collected a few more of them. Does anyone remember when the Monkees claimed they were strong armed by Don Kirshner? That was bubble gum pop and they claimed abuse by their record producer!

To me, rap is nothing more that urban protest music. I hate the sound of it but it seems to connect with a particular ethnic group. More power to them. Some of rap is violent, sexist, vulgar and anti-government. Not all that different from some of the counter-culture music of the 60's. But some of it is is pretty clean with acts like Will Smith and others. And it has certainly endured.

The more things change the more they stay the same!

haoli25

Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:28 pm

Well said, Bear

Chasplaya

Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:07 pm

The problem with rap is not necessarily the 'music' itself, its design is simple to allow access by many people, the problem lies and I could get slammed for this but its comeing generally from lower socio economic backgrounds and generally these people do get victimised due to lack of education and consequently they get manipulated by the money people (Hmm sounds like Blues) Not sure I want to call them businessmen as it would seem that many are not legit and its all about a front for something else. BUt enduring music I don't think so it may be the populist stuff that youngesters listen to as we listened to our genre of music (whatever that was) which was partly protest at establishment at the time. But through the 60's 70's 80's the bulk of the music followed farely established music rules, rap sometimes comes across as limerick ryhming pentameters or whatever... Now, I like, gingold play and like to listen to lots of genres of music generally cos their is a catch somewhere, or I can appreciate the work thats been done in creation; whereas rap seems so repetitive. I also doubt that people will be searching out many rap songs with the exception of students doing music history thesis about what didn't last the test of time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic