i am sooooo sorry for this....

jjohnson63

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:56 pm

thank you jim and may the lord shine his light on you and yours

Guitarmom

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:33 pm

Your point is well taken. I apologize for offering a point of view on a guitar website that didn't relate directly to guitars.

I wish you well.

Rev Kate

jjohnson63

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:31 pm

?

jjohnson63

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:48 pm

guitarmom your opinion means alot to me i am a christian and my family are Christians as well my son is returning home sat. evening and will be baptized sun. morning i hope you will rejoice in his salvation with us and if i offended you or anyone else for that matter i apologize sincerely.poe

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:43 pm

I have been following this thread with a bit of interest from a different perspective, and I relate to you something that was taught to me when I was at the Royal New Zealand Air Force Command Training school way back in the early 80's (You know it was all Officer and Gentlemen type stuff), we were instructed whenever at social functions either formal or informal to stay away from topics which included politics and religion or delve into peoples personal lives even if we believed we had tacit approval to do so; as frequently it is easy to offend. Now I view these forums as informal social areas where I do not really know, I mean really know the people here and as such refrain from expressing religious view or getting into politics.
Now this is meant to be a world of freedom of speech which I accept, respect and support, but I think I like to take care and use tact when conversing with strangers or people I have only recently met, call me old fashioned but somethings are best left to the private message functions on sites.

This thread in my opinion had the potential to offend some people, and further I'm not sure we take cognisance of the fact that this site has kids visiting it , I know of one that is 12 yrs old, and the tone could easily confuse someone with less maturity. I am not offended as suggested some might be by poe, but I am not sure this has been an appropriate forum for this discussion.

My main concern is that maybe we really need to think about the audience we reach with these threads

Said my bit.

jjohnson63

Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:11 am

well i say this lets just stop posting on this thread and move on im not really that savy to begin with and have a tendency to go to far so for that i apologize to all and ill make it a point to be more careful as to what i do say in the future.. blessings to all poe

map4242

Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:21 pm

I've been following this thread too. While there is always a possibility (even likely, eventually) for what we say to offend someone, this was all on the "off topic" section. Everything I read here "belongs", and doesn't have to have anything to do with the rest of the web site.

I saw a misunderstanding result in an unintended offense and an apology.
I see everywhere on this site, a group of people from diverse backgrounds getting along exceptionally well; much better than the vast majority of forums.

There are bound to be "bumps in the road", but there is every reason to be proud to be part of this group of people.

My opinion,
Mark

6string

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:14 am

Not offended.
Not sure who would be offended (maybe I'm not understanding something?) other than your own kids, who have already heard it in person from yourself no doubt.
I think it's a good story with a happy ending.

Chasplaya

Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:13 am

Putting it simply we don't know who reads these, and we need to be cognisant of that fact , personally I was not offended but could see some people might. And yes sometimes it is difficult to interpret what somethings really mean.

Yes this is 'Off topic' and most things can go here but nevertheless normal netiquette should apply, if you want to take a discussion to another level then that in my opinion is where the messaging function comes in. My comments related to my upbringing and the way I have been taught and that tact sadly lacking in many people these days is not considered often enough. A Facebook site in NZ has attracted people to comment about a recent major murder trial and a NZ Law expert has advised that the individuals could be on the wrong end of a defamation case just for expressing opinion. The Law and the Internet is presenting new challenges and the legal beagles are looking for new ways to make a buck!!

BigBear

Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:56 pm

I have a little different take on this thread. I see a guy, Poe, was hurting and he reached out to some new friends for some moral support. Sure, none of us knows the other and maybe our only commonality is our love of the guitar. But when your heart is heavy who do you reach out to? I was flattered that Poe felt he could share something so personal with us. I have a 19 year old daughter and I can relate to the worry all parents feel when they hop in a 3,000 pound machine and drive away. I pray that ever night she comes home safe.

Sure, calling your kids "retards" may be over the top for any public forum but we've become so overburdened with being PC that we forget that some people are dealing with handicaps on a daily basis (I have a handicapped son). If Poe offended me I'd either tell him so or just drop out of this thread. He didn't, because I knew as a parent the spirit in which he said it.

Finally, we're guitarists for Pete's sake. We are from many races, creeds, religions, countries etc. Don't let the ties that bind us be overshadowed by our differences. That's the beauty of the guitar and music in general. Music doesn't care who we are!

Take care my friends and play happy!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic