Stopped Smoking?

Chasplaya

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:15 pm

Hi All, There are bound to be some of you have managed to break the habit and stopped smoking. Is so I'd love to hear how you did it. This is not a thread for moralists and preaching about the error of our ways but a thread for good solid advice please.

In the word of PF 'Is there anybody out there?'

rcsnydley

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:35 pm

Chas - I smoked 2 packs of Camel non-filters a day when I quit, here's how I did it.
Since I knew it was the nicotine addiction that was the problem I felt I needed to ween myself off of the nicotine. I bought a pack of cigarettes and gave them to my then girlfriend, there are 20 cigarettes in a pack, so I told her to give me two a day for the first seven days, 14 cigarettes. Then one a day for the next six days, twenty cigarettes.
I could smoke them however I wanted. What I did was smoke them two or three puffs at a time over the course of the day. After a couple of days the two or three puffs would make me feel dizzy and light headed. I told myself "see how bad they are, they make you feel sick, you don't want to smoke anymore, you don't even like them".
On the last day when I smoked the last two puffs and put out the cigarette I said to myself "that's it you are a non-smoker now" and everyday for a while I would tell myself the same thing, "you're a non-smoker".
That was 24 years ago and I haven't smoked a cigarette since, I can't even stand the smell of them.
Well, that's how I did it. I had tried several times before, but that method worked great for me.

Keep Playing
Ric

Chasplaya

Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:41 am

Thanks Ric.
Phew two packs of Camels a day I don't smoke quite that much, therefore you'd expect it to be easier but probably not. Ever miss it? Its been a habit for such a long time its hard to think what it would be without it really.

Lavallee

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:22 am

I smoked for 15 years and cough most of the time. I used to smoke more than 2 packs a day, (spescially after a few beers) (in Canada we have 25 cigarettes per pack) Ridiculous isn't it? . So I tried many times to stop slowly, cold turkey, doctor recommendation but I was so addicted. One day I am the office and this customer called. As we start speaking, I start coughing. Coughing turned into almost choking for a couple minutes. So when I went back to the phone, this guy tells me: "You idiot get some treatment" and hang up. I do not remember who he was. I never smoked again. Sadly it is not my will power but my ego that stop me. It is now 20 years and it still smells good. It is a good thing that the tobacco companies are getting sued, they should be banned everywhere in the world. The governments should also pay back all the taxes they collected when it was politically correct to smoke as they contributed by allowing this legal drug to be available.

Marc

Chasplaya

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:47 am

Hi Lavallee, I've smoked for longer than that, a victim of the times as you say when it was politically correct, 'if I knew then what I know now' springs to mind. Anyway well done on quitting, I think it may not happen quite so easy for me, but you never know do you?

Lavallee

Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:06 am

I know how difficult it is to stop. I really enjoyed smoking, the taste and the satisfaction (hidden in your body)to calm the crave are just so powerful. Something impossible to understand by a non smoker which explain the comments and the judgments. When I was young , you could count non smokers on your fingers among all the people you knew. They were almost perceived as "nerds". Times have changed.

Marc

willem

Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:14 am

I smoked off and on in my teens and early twenties. The "issue" for me now is chewing tobacco. When I lived and worked in the woods it was so convenient so I did it fairly regularly. Now I live in a "city" but at the golf course I play near my house others chew and, me being of weak fibre, I started up again. The only thing that seems to work for me to quit for long periods is the nicotine lozenges. The nicotine gum is OK, but my jaw gets tired after a while. The lozenges, much like chew, can sit in your mouth and release nicotine as needed (the harder you suck the more you get, etc.).

Anyway, don't let others judge you. Quitting smoking is as hard as kicking heroine from what I've heard. My Dad smoked from WWII until his death in 2004. He was lucky: smoking didn't kill him directly (no lung cancer or COPD).

rcsnydley

Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:12 am

Chas, to answer your question, no I do not miss it. However, I still do have dreams that I am back smoking again. Like I picked it up as a part time thing or something. Sometimes it has lead me back to an almost full time smoker and sometimes I don't even have any cigarettes just that I'm thinking I need to buy some.

So, even though on a conscious level I have no desire at all to smoke and like I said can't even stand the smell of it, due to the addiction it still haunts my unconscious.

If you are thinking of quitting all I can say is go for it and I wish you all the best. Oh yea, my then girlfriend soon to be first wife and I were thinking about have a child and I didn't want to be a smoking parent. That was my motivation, I noticed you have a beautiful daughter, maybe that can be your motivation.

Keep Playing
Ric

Chasplaya

Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:34 pm

I certainly intend giving it a go its just how I go about it, at the end of the day I guess its down to willpower. I have lots to motivate me in this life so I guess thats the easy bit down its just getting over a lifetime habit.

AndyT

Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:19 am

I used the pill and the patch both at the same time because everyone told me I was MEAN when I was quitting. It took me from New Years 2000 to New Years 2001 but I finally freed myself of that filthy habit.

Good luck my friend, and never give up! Stay quit!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic