Dead at 50

AndyT

Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:23 pm

Well, I never saw him play an instrument, but Michael Jackson died today and everyone is hailing him as a great musician. Don't you have to play an instrument to be a musician? I thought he was a performer/singer.

I never was one of his fans, but he did make some big contributions to the music business. Many will miss him.

As a side note to this, Farrah Fawcett died today also. And I understand she actually played piano. Hmmm....

Chasplaya

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:10 am

Now I am a lowly Training Manager with the NZ POlice not an officer but civilian employee and I was in a one on one meeting today with the second in command of the whole organisation, the Deputy Commisioner whilst my wife was texting me the usual sick dead celebrity jokes, don't worry not for the forum!! and I had to try and keep a straight face with this very important Exec, thats how I found out about Jacko's death. Quite agree Andy he was a singer/performer

KennyF

Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:52 am

Chasplaya wrote:
my wife was texting me the usual sick dead celebrity jokes...
There's a million of 'em already.

Hey man, he kind of brought that stuff on himself... I'm just sayin'. Image

BigBear

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Ya know the guy was an incredible talent in his time. But, geez, he is being eulogized like he was some sort of saint. IMHO, he was a very troubled human being with more than his share of personal demons.

It's ironic that we are losing 1,000 WWII veterans PER DAY in this country and many, many more around the world. These were true heroes. Yet, there is barely a whimper in the press. We have men and women at war putting it all on the line for us, and barely a peep, except when they do somehting wrong.

Yet Michael Jackson is dominating the press. Rest in peace Michael, but don't forget the people that matter the most in this world.

Chasplaya

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:45 pm

Hear hear bigbear, strange how quickly we forget the really important things in life. We do tend to place entertainers on too big a pedestal sometimes

haoli25

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:50 pm

Don't speak too quickly. Based on todays sales,
iTunes is considering whacking Madonna, Bruce
Springsteen, and the two remaining Beatles!

belle

Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:59 am

BigBear wrote:

It's ironic that we are losing 1,000 WWII veterans PER DAY in this country and many, many more around the world. These were true heroes. Yet, there is barely a whimper in the press. We have men and women at war putting it all on the line for us, and barely a peep, except when they do somehting wrong.
Well said. Of course we have it "back asswards". That's why athletes and "celebrities" make millions and people like teachers barely scrape by. Collectively, we want to be entertained and distracted--so we value those who do that for us.

As for MJ--like others said--I wasn't a fan, but I appreciate his contributions. He was obviously a tortured soul who finally found release.

Lavallee

Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:16 am

I am pretty sure that if the medias would put 1/10 th of their effort talking about the veterans who saved us, the perspective would be different. It is not a seller right now because they only speak about them once a year. But if they would constantly look for interesting stories and push them in our face we would find it interesting and demand more as we are doing for the stars of this world. Should the medias emphasize what has true value for this society maybe teachers and veterans would become stars as they should.

Marc

AndyT

Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:45 am

We have to remember, Its all about the money. MJ is idolized because he made so much money. How many newspapers does a soft-hearted piece about a soldier sell? When was the last time you saw a really great story about a Teacher on the news? (One getting killed does not count)

If its not making them money hand over fist they couldn't care less. And that makes me very sad for them. As a matter of fact, I'm going to take a moment and pray for them right now.

Lavallee

Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:56 am

I think the issue is that they make money talking about ther stars because it was always done. If they would not talk about the stars but only about the proper values this world needs we migth evolve a bit. However not talking about the stars would mean not talikng about interesting musician that are appealing to us, then less interest for guitar as we know it.

Dilemma :(

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic