Dead at 50

haoli25

Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:13 pm

Mays was successful in that he made a lot money hawking cheap products on TV. He knew his style was brash and annoying to most people, but he considered that part of his personal charm. In his autobiography he said, "I've never done an honest days work in my life". So just maybe, Billy Mays was mocking the rest of us.

I agree it is tragic when young people die. Sorry about the loss of your friend.

It is also tragic when the media can spend endless amounts of time and money covering the deaths of Carradine, McMahon, Fawcett, Jackson, and Mays, but can't even mention the name of those fallen soldiers and Marines lost in this country's war.

samarks

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:50 am

Like some TGers said before, it comes down to what sells. People don't like depressing news--they like shocking news. Sensationalism sells--always has, always will.

Maybe we need a new thread: "The Cynics Corner"

Lavallee

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:55 am

To be cynical is only to have an opinion which is different from the what everybody thinks

map4242

Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:51 am

gingold wrote:
Like some TGers said before, it comes down to what sells. People don't like depressing news--they like shocking news. Sensationalism sells--always has, always will.

Maybe we need a new thread: "The Cynics Corner"
I had enough of the media hype long ago.

I haven't bought/read a newspaper in years, and I never tune in to TV news. The talking heads have nothing to say I need to hear, and I learned it can't be believed. It's at least biased/spun to sell, not biased to be fact.

Like you, I can't stand anything like the Oscars, Emmys, Grammys, etc.

I rebelled against fanaticism many years ago.

Mark

AndyT

Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:18 am

What little news I get is filtered thru my email. It has a news page when I first open it up. A few headlines with links so I can read about what interests me which is usually nothing. I rarely watch TV and the only time I read a paper is at the airport when I'm waiting for a flight. The airline gives them out free.

I honestly think that part of the reason we dont hear about our vetrans getting killed is the gub'ment doesn't want us to know. We are already too vocal for their comfort. As citizens, it is not only our right, but our duty to hold them accountable, and its time more of us did just that.

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:06 am

You know we as consumers wield a lot of power even over the media business, therefore I guess we on this forum are in the minority. I too cannot stand the Oscars and other such award programmes and nevr watch them, and yes a lot of celebrities do charitable deeds but their motives are sometimes questionable and sometimes political. Yes I have guitar heroes but surprisingly one of my favourite guitarists and singers only features on you tube , 2wheelsturnin is his name aka Jim who fixes US postal trucks...

BigBear

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:30 pm

AndyT wrote:
I honestly think that part of the reason we dont hear about our vetrans getting killed is the gub'ment doesn't want us to know. We are already too vocal for their comfort. As citizens, it is not only our right, but our duty to hold them accountable, and its time more of us did just that.
That may help explain how our gov't can put us trillions of dollars further in debt with almost 10,000 pork barrel projects and the majority of the media tells us how wonderful it it. My God, does the media think we are really that stupid? Apparently we are.

Now the gov't has taken over the banks, the insurers, the car companies and very soon we will have gov't owned health insurance! And the "huddled masses" don't say a word because they desperately hope some rich person is going to pay for it all on their behalf.

Maybe I'm just an old, conservative fart but this is madness, utter madness. Never in the history of this great country has the gov't intruded so far into our lives. And our media just goes along with it, devoid of any sense of moral outrage or accountability.

Journalism is dead in this country when it becomes an arm of the gov't. History is replete with examples of a gov't controlled media. And the outcome is never good.

The Founding Fathers must be turning over in their graves right now. No wonder no one wants to read the papers (which are failing) or watch the self-adulation of the stars who never miss an opportunity to use their bully pulpits to espouse their crazy political ideas while they drive home to their mansions in their $200k cars!!

Geez, I'm starting sound like my Dad! Maybe he was right after all!

AndyT

Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:06 pm

Your Dad was right. Hello, can you say WAKE UP CALL? :blink:

I remember the first time I heard my Dads voice come from me. I asked for an asprin and went to bed. I must've been really sick I thought.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic