How Impressive are you?

AndyT

Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:59 am

:lol:
I was just messing around the other day and was pounding out a 12 bar and just getting into it. I must've played on it for about 10 minutes or so when my grandaughter came in and yelled "WOOO HOOO PAPA! ROCK ON! YEAH BABY!" :woohoo: I know I didn't really sound very good that day but boy did she boost me up and make me want to practice more. I love that kid. (She's 9)

All of us can give a full catalog of what we do wrong when we play, but how often do we tell ourselves something positive? Sure, work on what you can't do, but don't forget to have fun with what you can do, no matter how it sounds. Encourage yourself or you will just kill your own spirit. And then where will you be?

KennyF

Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:35 am

Rock-on Andy! Image All the learning and practice in the world doesn't mean a thing if you don't have moments like that.

Good on you brother! Image

BigBear

Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:15 am

AndyT wrote:
:lol:
I was just messing around the other day and was pounding out a 12 bar and just getting into it. I must've played on it for about 10 minutes or so when my grandaughter came in and yelled "WOOO HOOO PAPA! ROCK ON! YEAH BABY!" :woohoo: I know I didn't really sound very good that day but boy did she boost me up and make me want to practice more. I love that kid. (She's 9)

All of us can give a full catalog of what we do wrong when we play, but how often do we tell ourselves something positive? Sure, work on what you can't do, but don't forget to have fun with what you can do, no matter how it sounds. Encourage yourself or you will just kill your own spirit. And then where will you be?
Andy- that is a really profound post! You are right on bro! I for one beat myself to death about my playing and then I overhear my daughter's boyfriend telling her "Your dad is a really good guitar player!". I don't like the little s..t much but it's good to hear some positive feedback for a change!!

Good, positive post, here's some karma at ya!

KennyF

Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:01 pm

BigBear wrote:
High fives all the way around.

It's really nice to hang out with you guys.

haoli25

Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:12 pm

I found out years ago that it is very difficult to be
objective about your guitar playing unless you record
it and listen to it later.
A cheap webcam will work fine, but I prefer audio recording
myself. I use Adobe Audition. I like the multi-tracks
and effects.

Most of the time I just record a single track of my
practice session. Other times I can go in and lay down
a rhythm guitar track and come back and add a lead or
anything else I want later.

I'll admit that some of the recordings I wouldn't want
my dog to listen to, but there are some that I would be
proud to put on the shelf next to anyone else. The good
ones help your confidence and the bad ones do help you to
improve.

Several years ago I made a recording of 'Hotel California'
the unplugged version. I had the recording on my laptop.
I did the capoed 12-string and the acoustic lead and
everything. I was listening to it in my office by myself
when several of my co-workers came in. They thought it
was really the Eagles. I stopped it before they could
notice that there were NO VOCALS. lol

I never told them different, but it really did my ego a
lot of good!

:blush:

BigBear

Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:19 pm

kennyf wrote:
BigBear wrote:
High fives all the way around.

It's really nice to hang out with you guys.
Back at you my friend!!

TGJIM

Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:58 pm

Sounds like a good time to tell you we just released a way to easily upload videos to your profile so someone just needs to click on your username to access. Or you can keep the videos private so you have all your guitar vid's in one place for when you are in the zone on practicing. It's a good way to really see and hear yourself or open yourself up to feedback if you make your video shared with friends on TG or public.

See the new blog post on how to add video to your profile for this.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/community ... g-profile/

Hope it helps!
Big Jim

haoli25

Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:02 pm

Great idea, Jim. Thanks.

AndyT

Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:29 pm

Thanks guys. And thanks for the Karma.

High 5's all around.

Robhug12

Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:55 am

Having only played for a year and a half (I'm 39), I can now say I can play a few songs (thanks to Neil). At first I was so frustrated, but determined to forge ahead and learn this instrument (I've always wanted to learn how to play the guitar). And for a long time, I thought I really suck at this; it just sounds horrible, just a bunch of noise(not music). But through time, I have managed to pull myself out of this rut and persevere by sheer will power. But, I still occasionally feel deflated. The other day, my wife said, "Honey - you have really come along way, sounds great". Well, that made my day. So - with that, I will keep playing...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic