Happy 4th Of July

spags

Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:48 am

I realize this is a multi-national site and the 4th is an American holiday, but pride in country and our armed forces compels me to post this.

"Our Armed Forces have turned the tide of world wars.
Young men and women from our great country's four corners have humbled history's worst tyrants.
We carve our thanks in stone.
We stamp it into medals.
We carefully tend to vast fields where the men and women who gave their lives for our freedom now lay.
More than ever in our history, we cannot fail to pass these stories of courage to the next generation.
We must capture their imaginations while paying tribute to all those willing to die for the preservation of our way of life."

Happy 4th of july! Thank a Solider, Sailor, Airman, or Marine for the freedom you're celebrating today.

KennyF

Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:18 pm

"For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know". Image

Happy 4th everyone!!! Image

BigBear

Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:08 pm

Spags- Amen brother! Freedom is never free and let's never forget how we got there. The 4th of July is a truly American holiday but it should be said that America hasn't always done it alone. Many countries have paid a horrific price in the pursuit of freedom.

Here's to our allies who have fought and died right beside our young men and women. May peace, freedom and justice one day become a true global right!

Chasplaya

Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:42 pm

For The Fallen (4th verse)

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Laurence Binyon

AndyT

Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:29 am

:woohoo: Got back a bit ago from Schofield Army Barracks 4th of July bash. Yeah baby! Kansas headlined the party. We rocked the whole island past the point of no return you wayward sons.

They also did a thing about all the flags the US has had since 1776 and paraded them around to the 43rd Army Band. Then they added all the 50 state flags and each one received a cannon shot. BOOM BOOM ... Loved it.

Chasplaya

Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:37 am

I take it you are ex military Andy what service and where did you serve? I was in the Royal NZ Airforce for 15yrs spend all that time in NZ though got to the heady level of Flight Lieutenant = Captain in NZ Army

AndyT

Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:49 am

U.S. Army back from 80 to 88.
I made E5 three times. I had a bit of trouble with authority figures back then... When it came time to re-up, they graciously offered to let me go home. I ran before they could take aim. LMBO!

I'm actually proud of the time I served. I was a major thorn in my superiors sides, but I was a damned good soldier otherwise.

Chasplaya

Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:52 am

E5 not sure what that is, better than E4 I guess lol. I really enjoyed my time but didn't get my contract extended due to downsizing of the AirFarce, the Govt disbanded our Strike Wing...

AndyT

Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:59 am

E1 = Private (no stripes)
E2 = Private E2 (one stripe)
E3 = Private First Class
E4 = Corporal
E5 = Sergeant (The first Non Commissioned Officer Rank)

Chasplaya

Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:06 am

Strange I just had a vision of Phil Silvers as Bilko....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic