Happy 4th Of July

AndyT

Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:11 am

Shhh.... I'm still trying to let that die quietly...

Chasplaya

Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:13 am

Whoa Andy I just noted you've gone platinum too that kinda snuck up on us we need to celebrate.

AndyT

Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:14 am

Now how the heck did that happen? I tell you. This forum is just loaded with suprises.

Chasplaya

Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:20 am

Don't worry you get meds for it or alternatively take two glasses of red wine and go to bed

AndyT

Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:29 am

I'm trying to cut back on the meds. The shoulder feels better off and on and I'm trying to not take that stuff. It stops the pain, but mangles my eyes. I dislocated my shoulder a couple of weeks ago and the Doc said it could take 6 months to a year for it to heal for someone my age. I asked him what was with the 'my age' crack and he laughed. "You aint no 20 year old kid anymore" he says...

Give me the wine.

Chasplaya

Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:31 am

Yep give me the wine every time...

BigBear

Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:33 am

Chasplaya wrote:
I take it you are ex military Andy what service and where did you serve? I was in the Royal NZ Airforce for 15yrs spend all that time in NZ though got to the heady level of Flight Lieutenant = Captain in NZ Army
Chas- I was a captain in the US Army Corps of Engineers (Combat). I think you call them Sappers. Spent almost all my time freezing my butt off in NE Germany although I was stationed just outside Frankfurt. Only place in the world where it can be 20 degress F and still raining!!

BigBear

Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:41 am

AndyT wrote:
U.S. Army back from 80 to 88.
I made E5 three times. I had a bit of trouble with authority figures back then...
Imagine that, you having trouble with authority figures. Here's my surprise face! LMBO x2!! I had several NCO's like you. They were great soldiers but they didn't tolerate fools very well. And that's one thing the Army has never been short on!! The secret to leading guys like you was to always keep them pointed in the right direction and not let them get too bored, keep 'em busy. ;-)

AndyT

Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:46 pm

LOL Bear. If I had a CO like you I might have stayed in longer.

BigBear

Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:23 pm

AndyT wrote:
LOL Bear. If I had a CO like you I might have stayed in longer.
I got along great with my NCO's. I wasn't a lifer and they all knew it. I'd go drink beer with my Platoon Sergeant and Squad Leaders and they'd call me Rick and I'd call them Bob, Jim or whatever. But as soon as we strapped on the green suit it was back to Yes, sir and No, sir. They were real pros.

I told them they had to run the unit and I'd keep the bureaucrats off their backs. When I was a company commander the word got out and all the NCO's in the battalion wanted to transfer to my company! The Battalion Commander thought I was up to something (I wasn't except treating people with respect).

I enjoyed to military but I was too opinionated and outspoken to have survived. Plus I don't kiss butts very well, a necessity in the officer corps during the 70's and 80's. Maybe it's different now but I doubt it!

You and I would have gotten along famously!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic