Big Bad Bear - Who's Afraid

AndyT

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:17 am

I forget what town it is, but thee is a place here in the US where everyone (except clergy) is required to learn how to use and carry a firearm. The crime rate there dropped drastically within 6 months of the law going into effect.

The only real way to prevent crime is to not have people. How's that gonna work for ya?

KennyF

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:33 am

AndyT wrote:
I forget what town it is, but thee is a place here in the US where everyone (except clergy) is required to learn how to use and carry a firearm. The crime rate there dropped drastically within 6 months of the law going into effect.
Yup! I'm all for it!

Personally, I think that if you can pass the scrutiny of an FBI screen (i.e. a law abiding citizen), they should issue a Federal, nation wide concealed carry permit.

Fortunately, I live in a very "gun friendly" state. Hell... Everyone is packin' up here. :laugh: In fact, a few months back, a would be armed robber try to jack some guy coming out of Walmart at 3:00AM and ended up eatin' a few .380's for his trouble. Good guys - 1, Scumbags - 0. Game over! B)

haoli25

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:33 am

The criminals are adjusting accordingly. I was reading a
few weeks ago one of the most likely places to be carjacked
and robbed is while arriving at or leaving a large airport.
The criminals know that those victims aren't carrying guns
for protection.

AndyT

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:41 am

Bear,

I never knew you had so much of your home videos posted online.

Chasplaya

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:47 am

Liberalisation of gun laws perpetuates the circle of violence... I have no problem with guns or ownership (I was military for 15yrs and loved the small arms training, but was very clear guns were originally designed to kill people) yes its not the gun but the person behind it but access to them needs to be done with care and criteria put in place to keep them out of the hands of the criminal element. Many peoples opinion would change when the officer arrives at your door to tell you about your son or daughter having been gunned down in a Columbine type massacre or even a Kent state...

haoli25

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:16 am

True Chas, but the guns laws that are passed are only
aimed at legal, registered gun owners. You rarely ever
see stricter prison sentences for criminals that use
unregistered guns in the commission of their crimes.
In the U.S. we also have a big problem with illegal
immigration too. Many of these are criminals and they
"bring their own guns" along from their country
of origin.
I wish there was required safety training before any
gun purchase, but that is not going to happen either.
Most gun owners that I know are either sportsman,
target shooters (like myself), or collectors. They
all maintain their guns and are very safe with their
use. Most all of them have gun vaults in their home
to keep them secured too.
I have a Concealed Carry Permit, but I rarely use it. Only
when I am working by myself in the middle of nowhere
late at night do I actually carry a gun. Instead,
normally, I try avoid places where I might run in to
trouble and need a gun. I do understand the mindset
of those who do carry a gun, legally, all the time...
"guns are easier to carry than a policeman" or " when
your life or your family's life is threatened and
seconds count, the police are only a few minutes away
."

As I said, I am a target shooter. I am more than
happy to punch little holes in paper targets. That is
pretty much the extent of my violence. I'm only interested
in marksmanship and safety. It's a hobby, just like my
guitars.
But if someone breaks into my house while I am at home, I hope
they are wearing their bulletproof underwear..because they are
going to need 'em.
:S

AndyT

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:16 am

This one has been a hotbed of debate for at least 100 years now. I'm not smart enough to solve it. I say we go back to a much more Constitutional government, not the overly corrupt system we have now. That would solve many things, but not for long.

Man is greedy by nature and he is going to eventually wind up taking advantage of a situation. The real answer here is to put people back on a moral standard.

KennyF

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:57 am

Well... Without getting too political here, which is far outside the scope of any internet forum; let me simply say that I support the original constitution as it was written. Draw any conclusion you want from that.

Having said that...

I believe that most, if not all of our problems are a product of a corrupt government and a misguided interpretation of freedom by society in general. I do not believe that the powers that be are even trying to solve these problems.

On top of that... The financial institutions, which are powered by the Federal Reserve Act and the Federal Reserve Bank, are dysfunctional and self defeating, so I don't share any optimism for economic recovery. I think the system is inherently, and deliberately flawed, and it's run its course.

Meaning, things are going to get much worse before they get any better.

Time to tighten your chinstraps boys!!!

P.S. I hope I'm wrong. BUT... Like I always say; "Don't I just hate being right all the time".

tgjameela

Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:12 am

kennyf wrote:
gingold wrote:
kennyf wrote:
...and a .357/9mm convertible. B)
A .357/9mm convertible? I've heard of .357 semi-autos but not a combo with a 9mm. I assume you have to change out the magazine and barrel...?
The .357 is actually the same bullet diameter as a .38 (9.1MM), and close in size to the 9MM, which is actually 9MM. Only the cartridges are different. You can fire .38's from a .357 pistol, but you can't fire .357's from a .38 pistol. In order to fire 9mm's in that pistol, you only need to change the cylinder, which literally takes about 30 seconds.
Yeah, I know about the .357/.38 compatability. But didn't know about the 9mm matching that closely to not require changing barrels, etc.

BigBear

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:08 pm

AndyT wrote:
Bear,

I never knew you had so much of your home videos posted online.
It comes with the fur!!:lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic