Strangest Food You Have Ever Tried

haoli25

Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:02 pm

Since we have such an international cast of players, feel free to share your BEST or WORST.

When working in China I was treated to;

Baked Camel Hoof
Sea Snake
Deep Fried Scorpions

If you are ever offered the baked Camel Hoof ---PASS Not good at all. :angry:

The Sea Snake is actually really good. White meat with lots of little bones.

The Deep Fried Scorpions were an experience!!! The scorpions (live, big black ones) are prepared by cutting off the stinger and then tossing them into some batter. After they crawl around for a bit, they are tossed into boiling peanut oil...when they float, they are DONE. They are served directly from the peanut oil bath. You pull off the pinchers and the legs and CHOW DOWN. It looks like a big shrimp and surprisingly, it has very little taste to it.

BigBear

Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:55 pm

Bill- compared to your experiences these may seem lame:

Rattlesnake (not bad, couldn't get over where it came from!)
African lion (very mild, not particularly flavorful)
Emu (pretty good actually)
Sea urchin (yuk!)

Bear, brown and black (dark, heavy, greasy meat only good in something else like chili!)

Lot's of different insects courtesy of Uncle Sam's Big Green Fighting Machine! :lol:

Lavallee

Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:02 pm

Does Tofu burger counts? :)

heatndude

Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:12 pm

Hello, one of the strange bar foods in the great state of wisconsin is pickled turkey gizzards ! It takes more than a few Miller Lights to choke down these brown on the outside / purple in the middle things. They taste like Chicken

haoli25

Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:45 pm

BigBear wrote:

Rattlesnake (not bad, couldn't get over where it came from!) :lol:

Rick, that's funny because when we served the Sea Snake, the first thing I thought of was that they were among the most poisonous snakes anywhere. Then I remembered that people eat rattlesnake all the time. As I said, it was really pretty good. Thank goodness for PIJU (Chinese Beer) too.

I don't think I could handle a Tofu Burger or those Wisconsin Pickled Turkey Gizzards.:(

jfletchey

Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:53 pm

I live by the rule "If you can't identify it, don't eat it"

haoli25

Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:07 pm

jfletchey wrote:
I live by the rule "If you can't identify it, don't eat it"

Good point, but I have to admit on one trip to China I went with another guy that had never been there before. At each meal he kept saying, "This is great..what is it?" I told him if you like it, eat it and don't ask because you may not want to know. :)

I have another one to add to the list, HAGGIS. If asked to try it, PASS!

Sorry Chas. :laugh:

BigBear

Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:09 pm

haoli25 wrote:
[quote]I have another one to add to the list, HAGGIS. If asked to try it, PASS!
quote]

I first had haggis in Edinburgh and have had it several times since. I had been hyped up about how nasty it was so I was prepared. It was frickin' delicious! Don't believe the hype!! It goes down especially well with a few drams of Highland whiskey!! :lol:

haoli25

Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:13 pm

I did try it...there is not enough whiskey in the world to cover up the taste of the lungs. :side:

BigBear

Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:17 pm

haoli25 wrote:
I did try it...there is not enough whiskey in the world to cover up the taste of the lungs. :side:
That's how I feel about Andy's poi! If I was starving to death I'd have to pass!! :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic