Strangest Food You Have Ever Tried

map4242

Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:21 pm

Not so strange or bad as others have mentioned, but...
Morcilla (blood sausage aka black pudding)

It doesn't taste bad if it's done right, but I can't get over the texture combined with knowing what it is.

Mark

rcsnydley

Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:25 pm

Compared with other stuff on here mine was easy, chocolate covered bees, ants and crickets.

Ric

Lavallee

Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:35 pm

Actually Rick, I had those here in Montreal. This guy open the insectarium where you could see bugs in their environment and when you were leaving, there were all kinds in chocolate, honey, etc.. Unless you have birds in your family it is not really appealing but its like going on top of the Eiffel Tower: been there , done that.

Marc

haoli25

Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:13 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
Compared with other stuff on here mine was easy, chocolate covered bees, ants and crickets.

Ric

I did try the chocolate covered ants once, they were not too bad.

I can't remember the name of it, but I once had a dish in Jakarta that was really terrible. It's a local delicacy of boiled baby squid. It was a big bowl of PAIN. :(
It tasted like pieces of rubber in 10W-30 motor oil.

AndyT

Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:59 am

Since I live in Hawaii, I get the chance to smell, and taste dishes from all over the world. We have almost everything you can possibly imagine here in one resturant or another. About the only thing we do not have is Dog or Cat, and thats only because its against the law.

I live in an apartment and my neighbors are all of different nationalities. When it comes dinner time, I like to go somewhere else, anywhere else.... The smells are enough to kill any appetite I might have had. Some of it smells like raw sewage, some smells like a decomposing body... you really can not imagine it unless you smell it.

Needless to say, I'm exceptionally wary of what hits my plate.

Bear, Poi looks really good compared to some of this stuff....

haoli25

Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:58 am

AndyT wrote:
Since I live in Hawaii, I get the chance to smell, and taste dishes from all over the world. We have almost everything you can possibly imagine here in one resturant or another.

You are SOOOO right about that. Hawaii has some of the best restaurants in the world, particularly Japanese restaurants.

In some countries (in many parts of Asia and the Middle East) it is considered an insult to the host not to eat something that is offered to you. All you can do is hold your nose, close your eyes and dig in. I will say that most of the more exotic food I have tried was actually very good. The things that were truly awful made me appreciate the power of alcohol and mouthwash. :silly:

BigBear

Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:22 am

Gopher Snake.

BigBear

Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:16 am

haoli25 wrote:
In some countries (in many parts of Asia and the Middle East) it is considered an insult to the host not to eat something that is offered to you. All you can do is hold your nose, close your eyes and dig in. I will say that most of the more exotic food I have tried was actually very good. The things that were truly awful made me appreciate the power of alcohol and mouthwash. :silly:

Is there any wonder why the Irish invented whiskey (sorry, Chas, they beat the Scots by almost 100 years)? Enough whiskey and you can eat anything (except poi). :lol:

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:19 am

BigBear wrote:
haoli25 wrote:

Is there any wonder why the Irish invented whiskey (sorry, Chas, they beat the Scots by almost 100 years)? Enough whiskey and you can eat anything (except poi). :lol:
Maybe so but we got it right and perfected it...

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:24 am

haoli25 wrote:
jfletchey wrote:

I have another one to add to the list, HAGGIS. If asked to try it, PASS!

Sorry Chas. :laugh:
Well I have tasted some absolutely dreadful Haggis in various places around the world and as a teenager and early years in Supermarkets I did Butcher training in Scotland and I've actually made it, surprisingly it didn't put me off cos when you see the ingredients in raw state say no more..... But some places just canna make haggis. It is very tasty done in small sausage size battered and deep fried and served with chips yum!! and of course washed down with a wee dramm of uisge beatha ("water of life")

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic