Last.fm

Chasplaya

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:47 am

6string wrote:
AndyT wrote:
Saying that you steal, even jokingly, is not really a good idea. Especially online. How many people can actually read the sarcasm you might have written in to your post? It is possible that you could wind up getting turned in for piracy. Now that would not make you laugh would it?
There's Internet Police ??? :ohmy:
You'd be surprised at who checks out whats being downloaded numerous tab sites have been closed down due to the MPA the RCCA also check out sites, My stepson had a habit of downloading movies from who knows where! and we got two warnings about it and threatened with legal action if we did it again. needless to say stepson got a right telling off jeopordising my internet Certain bands have also taken legal action against illegal downloads Metallica have down that. YOu tube have had numerous vids taken down under threat of various copyrite owners.

AcousticAl

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:27 am

Check out this link:
http://www.thestar.com/article/674928

Some guy in Boston charged and convicted of file sharing only 30 songs!
He was fined $675,000- but was happy because it could have been $4.5 MILLION!!

Let's be careful out there...

BigBear

Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:10 am

AcousticAl wrote:
Check out this link:
http://www.thestar.com/article/674928

Some guy in Boston charged and convicted of file sharing only 30 songs!
He was fined $675,000- but was happy because it could have been $4.5 MILLION!!

Let's be careful out there...
That was the link I was trying to find because I remember reading about it. I know lots of people steal music, maybe I just don't want to know about it, especially here at TG. Call me old fashioned! :cheer:

Music Junkie

Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:12 am

Yeah, there was a lady somewhere back east that got busted not too long ago as well. I have been guilty in the past of trying to get an album that was out of print from a site that did conversions of Vinyl to digital, but I was a little intimidated by the lawsuits and kind of steered clear of the mass sharing. Although, on a lighter note, if I had the chance to download AC/DC "Back in Black" I probably would since I bought that album 5 or 6 times already!!!!!!!!!! I wore out a record, three tapes and one or two CD's....... I figure from a copyright standpoint, I paid my dues on that one. Probably still would not matter to the record execs though....

With the way things are going down, it is just best to play it safe nowadays. Plus, if you like the music, it shouldn't be too big a deal to purchase it. There are plenty of ways to TEST DRIVE tunes these days. So "try it before you buy it" seems like a decent enough way to go.

My two cents.....

BigBear

Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:25 am

Music Junkie wrote:
With the way things are going down, it is just best to play it safe nowadays. Plus, if you like the music, it shouldn't be too big a deal to purchase it. There are plenty of ways to TEST DRIVE tunes these days. So "try it before you buy it" seems like a decent enough way to go.

My two cents.....
MJ- I hear you. If you shop around CD's can be had really cheap! I just bought my wife a James Blunt album she wanted and it was $0.54 from Amazon brand new!

I do have a real problem with the copyright laws that forbid tab sharing. Since most tabs are just someone's interpretation of the song and are not being used for commercial use, it is ridiculous that tabs can't be shared. Who is being damaged since most tabs aren't available for sale anyway?

Music Junkie

Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:48 am

Yeah, I have bought CD's for as little as $0.10! Not very often, but sometimes. I have not paid full retail price for a CD in years. There is always a discount to be had if you don't mind looking. I really just buy music song by song these days if truth be told. I have not really come across all that many albums that are that great. At least not in terms of wanting or liking enough songs on it to buy the whole thing for $18.00!!!!!!!!!!!

It is just a power trip in my belief when it comes to TAB. Hell, most TAB you find on sites that have been shut down or threatened with closure is inaccurate at best anyway. Even if it was perfectly accurate, it is not like people are using the TAB to get rich! Most people are just looking to play a song for their own enjoyment. I have also said in the past that if these TAB police want to stop this, then put out a verified TAB that people can buy. I would buy TAB if it was good and available. Especially for songs that I really want to learn. It is just not out there for a majority of music.

spraynard

Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:20 pm

The RIAA stopped suing individuals like last year... I don't think some of you know what you're talking about.

AcousticAl

Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:50 pm

spraynard wrote:
The RIAA stopped suing individuals like last year... I don't think some of you know what you're talking about.
Spraynard-

What's with your confrontational attitude all the time? These boards are for everyone's input and enjoyment- and are usually cordial and respectful of other people's opinions. Every one of your posts has a negative tone- and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

BTW- if you took the time to read the article I linked, you'd see that the RIAA just won the judgement LAST WEEK. So your comment about them not suing people since last year is incorrect.

Music Junkie

Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:06 pm

spraynard wrote:
The lady that got busted last year was also busted by RIAA. Either way, whether it is RIAA or someone else, people are getting sued and losing. Not fun. I, for one, have a bit too much to lose to take the chance.

Sorry if I struck the wrong CHORD, lol.......... Pun intended..........

Happy Friday everyone. Let's all hoist a pint and strum some good tunes that we all have learned thanks to Neil's hard work (and all you guys behind the scenes).

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!

AcousticAl

Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:10 pm

Excellent idea MJ!

Cheers!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic