Average Age Of Site members

AndyT

Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Yeah.....I must be old...lol I remember the Beatles on Ed Sulivan....I was 8, in 64' ;)

BigBear

Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Paulguitar56 wrote:
Yeah.....I must be old...lol I remember the Beatles on Ed Sulivan....I was 8, in 64' ;)
Paul, you're just a kid!! I was 10! Oooh, I need to sit down...:lol:

quincy451

Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:34 pm

Yea the technical inovation Genie has been let out of the box and there is no stopping it now. Heck think about this...Jackson our 7th President fought 13 duels...and now we get upset over a candidate having an affair.

But back to the first or second webnair and Niel was talking about a student bringing up say 5 tabs for a given song that didn't agree. Neil's response was...try mine...it will be quicker all around. But we do have powertab and guitarpro which can give us some validation of a tab. They can play it back. Don't like what you hear...move on. No need to proceed with that one.

Now what I am looking forward to and will most likely be a battle ground when it first comes out. Is the extension of the chromatic tuner that can actually listen to someone playing guitar and give you the extact tab for what they played. That is a ways off. There are problems when you play more than one note trying to figure out what was played, among many others. But I know your grandkids will have that.

Guitarmom

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:58 pm

quincy451 wrote:
Now what I am looking forward to and will most likely be a battle ground when it first comes out. Is the extension of the chromatic tuner that can actually listen to someone playing guitar and give you the extact tab for what they played.
Quincy, scoring what you play to tab or to standard notation is available right now! All you need is a midi pickup on a guitar and a copy of Sibelius. As a matter of fact, with AudioScore (Neuratron software), you can even sing into a microphone that is attached to Sibelius and it scores your vocal too. The microphone scoring requires quantizing and clean up but the midi is accurate to the closest semitone. You may want to chage the fingering it suggests, but that is simple clean up and can be done fairly quickly. So in effect, a songwriter can sing a line and watch it score... then go back and lay the tab on the next section of staff.

I haven't tried the CD / MP3 portion of the new Neuratron.com AudioScore software, but it is supposed to listen to disks and allow you to identify the instruments. It subsequently creates the tab/notation.

Rev Kate

Guitarmom

Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:00 pm

Technology is a wonderful thing... but it can never replace the emotion of the instrumentalist and the creativity.

Rev Kate

heyjoe

Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:27 am

Maybe thats why we all like playing acoustic guitars, electric guitars are great things to have, but after playing electric for 20 odd years, it now sits in my room gathering dust, like an ornament, the acoustic on the other hand, gets played every day.

I think its because, as you get older, you appreciate simplicity more.. who wants to worry about plugging into an effects rack, setting up the amp, checking the cables/surge protector, altering all the different tone/volume controls etc etc, when with an acoustic you can just pick up and play, its just you, your mind, hands, and the guitar..and usually it sounds better.

If this is getting older (I just missed getting into the older than dirt section), then I'm all for it.

Joe

Music Junkie

Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:46 am

heyjoe wrote:
Maybe thats why we all like playing acoustic guitars, electric guitars are great things to have, but after playing electric for 20 odd years, it now sits in my room gathering dust, like an ornament, the acoustic on the other hand, gets played every day.

I think its because, as you get older, you appreciate simplicity more.. who wants to worry about plugging into an effects rack, setting up the amp, checking the cables/surge protector, altering all the different tone/volume controls etc etc, when with an acoustic you can just pick up and play, its just you, your mind, hands, and the guitar..and usually it sounds better.

If this is getting older (I just missed getting into the older than dirt section), then I'm all for it.

Joe
My sentiments exactly. I have three electric guitars at home, but when I reach for a guitar, it is almost always my acoustic. I have found that as I get older, I do appreciate the mellowness of the sound and the relaxing practice (yes relaxing - even though I get frustrated, after all is said and done, it does calm me).

Nice point.

MJ

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:06 pm

Hey Chas, what a great post! Karma has been sent your way... your reincarnation will be spectacular! Please excuse me, I've been having a weekend and wasn't paying attention until now. You are, of course, absolutely right, I'm much older than dirt according to your quiz. I scored perfect.

Just to prove it, from my childhood in England, I remember:
- The coalman delivering sacks of coal to the outside shed every 2 weeks.
- The airing-cupboard (for clothes freshly washed and dried but not yet in the wardrobe)
- The wrangler for crushing the water out of clothes after washing (nicknamed “The button Crusher”)
- References to post-war rationing: “I’ll cut your rations if ……”!
- My Dad bringing home a first transistor radio like it was moon rocks
- V-Bombers (Vulcans and Valliants) flying overhead
- Lancasters and Spitfires still flying on special weekends
- My Dad turning pale at the sound of a genuine Mescherschmitt 109 flying over head as they were filming “The Battle of Britain” in Cambridgeshire (he’d been chased up the runway by one when he was a young R.A.F. mechanic in WWII)
- My Dad crank-starting Bettsie the car, a big black heavy-metal Austin something-or-other before Heavy Metal was music and cars and aircraft were female and had names
- Cars with little signal arms that stuck out at the side when turning left or right
- dot, dot, dot, dash, dash, dash, dot, dot, dot
- My mother’s tale of being coached by Stanley Mathews when she was a WRAF in WWII
- My Dad’s WWII medals
- My Grandfathers WW1 medals
- Sorting small change and finding: big fat heavy pennies with queen Victoria’s head on them that were made the same year as the Eifel Tower; and two-penny pieces (Tuppence) made of copper; silver sixpences; bronze multi-edged threepenny bits; Florins when you could still use them; Half crowns; and even a King George III (the guy you colonials can thank for letting you have your country) coin (which I still have); Pound notes the size of a newspaper.
- Being completely comfortable with the fact that 20 shillings = £1; 1 Shilling = 12 Pence; 1 penny = 2 ha’pennies; 1 ha’penny = 2 farthings
- Weighing 12 stone 12 pounds and knowing that that was the same as 2880 ounces but not knowing what the hell that was in kilos
- Coleman-Balls: “and for all you viewers watching the match in black& white, Everton are the team in blue shirts …”
- Eddie Waring’s immortal Rugby commentary: “They’re all enemies on the field, but all good friends in the showers!”, as two players indulge in a “bit of argee-bargee”.
- Bill Shankley’s impossible accent: “Errrrr, my boys er fit!”
- Football boots with yellow toe-caps made of steel!
- Leather footballs (soccer) that were more square than round and weighed 5 times as much when wet
- Surviving driving around an entire childhood in cars without seatbelts or headrests
- My Dad straightening out a bent steel bumper (fender) on a ford Anglia (yes, the flying car in Harry Potter – same colour) with his bare hands!
- Farley’s Rusks with milk for breakfast.
- The opening of the M1, Britain’s first motorway

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:28 pm

Hey Chris, Now you are really delving into the past, by the way you forgot the third aircraft in the trilogy the Victor. I'll never forget the Vulcan Bomber though , quite majestic doing slow flypasts and then rolling off and going into a climb. I used to live close to Leuchars in Scotland and regularly saw amzing aircraft around the skies it was also a low flying area and I actually recall Vampires and the RN Venom. But watching the English Electric lightning go vertical was something else!! Then came the F4 Phantoms, I was on A Nav Exercise, as a passenger, once in a Varsity converted bomber and had the fortune to see an intercept of a Russian Bear (not the site Muppet) by two F4's amazing Cold War era stuff.

wrench

Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:15 pm

Chris,

I scored a perfect 15 on the test. I'm old.

You're older. Purely a compliment.

wrench

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic