Average Age Of Site members

jim56

Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:46 pm

Oh ooh, first time I got an A on a test. It got me thinking about 8-track players in the car. Roller skates that clamped to your street shoes and the first ever skateboard that was as wide as a 2x4 (made with the clamp on roller skates). Cap guns that used rolls of paper tape with black powder giving off the bang. Can't forget the buzz haircuts my dad gave us boys, cheaper than the barber. And the aluminum beverage cans with the throw away pull tops. Time for my Geritol! Can I be excused, please. Thank you :)

Guitarmom

Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:54 pm

Great memories all. Chasplaya, thank you for a stroll down memory lane. I'm 61.

Joy,

Rev Kate

garner

Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi everyone, I can rember gas being 25 cents a gallon. I also rember back then Most
guitar players would not share how they played there licks. I feel the young players donto releaize how lucky they are today .Thanks to someone like Neil
Ps I am 62 and still learning guitar.

quincy451

Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:34 pm

First off:
Chaz thanks for sharing the opening comments and additons where great.

I scored a 9. Definately getting up there.
But I do think garner makes a serious point. There has been a evolution in the
way you tune your guitar, the availablity of tabs, the availablity of instruction on
theory, scales, riffs, etc.

The young players starting out today probably can't imagine a day where you put your guitar down for good because tuning it is a hopeless proposition. You have a pitch pipe which blows the 6 notes of standard tuning and that is it. You tuned by ear or you didn't. And there was strobe tuners which my guitar instructor demod one day. And I was front and center...watching every move he moade only to find out one was about $400...way too much for a 12/13 year old.

I will probably always be a hack on the guitar...but at least when I hit the 5th string it rings at 440hz.

BigBear

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:33 pm

garner wrote:
Hi everyone, I can rember gas being 25 cents a gallon. I also rember back then Most
guitar players would not share how they played there licks. I feel the young players donto releaize how lucky they are today .Thanks to someone like Neil
Ps I am 62 and still learning guitar.
Hey Garner! Welcome to the program! We're glad to have you! If you feel comfortable, we'd love to have you introduce yourself on the "Please Introduce Yourself" thread. Where you live, what you like in music, where you want to go with your guitar learning and playing. We've all done it and it's painless!

You will really like it here. There's lots of people our age. Hard to believe so many 50-60 year olds learning the guitar but there's loads of us!

If you have any questions please jump in and ask!

BTW- I remember 25 cent gas, S&H Green Stamps, 10 cent ice cream cones, and too many other things that mean I'm getting old!

Happy playin' and cheers! :cheer:

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:37 pm

Jeez pitch pipes I recall them still got one somewhere, for a beginner they were a nightmare for me. Thank goodness for chromatic tuners!

haoli25

Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:25 am

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Image

AndyT

Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:53 am

I remember all of them also. I recall 15 cents a gallon gas and you could feed a family of five at McDonalds for $5 and get change back.

My favorite was a nickle bag of candy from the big mixed jar at the drugstore. He would get a small paper bag and scoop it nearly full for 5 cents. That was a major treat for a small kid back then.

We had an old wood stove and guess who had to get up at 4:30 am and re-load it to cook breakfast.

I miss those days. Much simpler.

Music Junkie

Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:47 am

AndyT wrote:
I miss those days. Much simpler.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I truly miss SIMPLICITY. It is nice at times to have the modern conveniences, but I'll take simple any day of the week.

:cheer:

Lavallee

Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:51 am

Please keep in mind that our parents where saying the same thing about their time since that had their share of technical discoveries. Your grand kids when their time comes will probably say: Jee, can you belive that the cars used to be on asphalt instead of flying and it use to polute air (wishful thinking ;) )

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic