Average Age Of Site members

Chasplaya

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:25 pm

I'd hazard a guess the average age is well up there lol, so I got one of those emails that puts it to the test see how you fare team:

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.
'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'
'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained. !
'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.
But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :
Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis , set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card.
My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).
We didn't have a television in our house until I was 19.
It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...

I never had a telephone in my room.The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.
All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. He had to get up at 6AM every morning.
Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?
MEMORIES from a friend :
My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.
How many do you remember?
Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards..
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :
Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about.
Ratings at the bottom.

1.Candy cigarettes
2.Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes
3.Home milk delivery in glass bottles
4. Party lines on the telephone
5.Newsreels before the movie
6.TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels [if you were fortunate])
7.Peashooters
8. Howdy Doody
9. 45 RPM records
10.Hi-fi's
11. Metal ice trays with lever
12. Blue flashbulb
13.Cork popguns
14. Studebakers
15. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 11-15 =You're older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

wrench

Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:21 pm

Chas,

That was great. Thanks for the memories.

wrench

Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:09 pm

How old are you if you can add to the list?

Chasplaya

Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:18 pm

If you can add to the list you must be as old as Chris aka Nevermindetc aka Statler

Lavallee

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:50 pm

When I was a kid, my grand father who lived a bit remotely in a small village only had a wood stove for heating (we are in Canada). He did not have a hot water tank so to take a bath required to boil water on the stove. So bath were taken once a ... I remember all the listed items (except the one that I do not know : Howdy Doody). The tv test patterns are actually resolution chart and are still used. I remember when the first color tv came up (1967 in our area). I was expecting our TV (black and white)to show color images. I was told to go to bed and read Superman (in color).

Marc

garry91246

Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:58 am

Hi guys,
I've just read through Chasplaya's brilliant post of his memories of yester-year, unfortunately when checking through them all I found out I'm "Older than Dirt".

However, just thought you guys may be interested to know that here in the U.K.

1. The Milkmen still delivers milk in a glass bottle to the front door seven days a week, and certainly, in the rural area that I live in, it's delivered well before breakfast time, sometimes it's still dark when I hear the chinking of the bottles.

2. We still have boys/girls delivering newspapers through the letterbox, which is usually mounted in the front/porch door and again that's seven days a week and before breakfast.
Although nowadays there is a statutory requirement that the paperboy/girl have to be a minimum of 14 years old.
Yep, we've stopped sending women and children down the coal mines now you know, probably because the Government's shut down all the mines. Only joking.

I'm really not sure whether this makes the U.K. progressive, tradionalist or plain old fashioned. Guess I'll just make the most of it while it lasts.

Take care

Garry

rcsnydley

Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:50 am

Chas, it sounds like you grew up in my house. The other day my granddaughter asked if she could be excused from the table. I just about feel off my chair as the memories came flooding back. And they think that the family kitchen is a restaurant were they can just put in their order for whatever they want for dinner.

I give them two of my mothers sayings,
1. "It's a long time till breakfast" (for when we didn't like what was for dinner).
2. "I'm not running a restaurant"

BTW - I remember all of the things on your list. Time to get out of my wheelchair and use my walker to go fetch my guitar.

Ric

Music Junkie

Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:59 am

I only scored an 8, so I am only kinda old I guess.... That being said, we had a color TV and I WAS THE REMOTE for my dad. "Son, get your butt up and turn to channel 3"......

We only received 4 channels in northern CA at the time. 3, 10, 13, and 40. Every once in a while when the weather was really really good, I could switch to UHF/VHF (can't really remember which is which - my old age and all) and rotate the old antenna on the roof to get some obscure, albeit, fuzzy channel from somewhere else.

Chas: I remember having to ask to be excused as well! Believe it or not, my two sons have to ask every night. They think I am nuts, but I told them "I brought you into this world, and I can take you back out!" LOL

Great thread, here is some Karma!

MJ

cabro

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:48 am

Man you guys are making me feel old. I remember most all of the stuff. The sprinkler bottle for the ironing brings back some serious childhood memories of my Mother. She always listened to Dinah Washington and Billie Holiday when she ironed too. How about the ignition button being separate from the key switch? You had to turn the system on with the key and then push and hold a button on the dash to turn the starter.

The first color television I ever saw belonged to one of my friends. I would get up early on Saturday and go to his house to watch cartoons I was a teenager before we ever had one, or a "real" washer and dryer. Back to the T.V. thing. As a kid we only had 2 stations until UHF came along and then you had to buy a separate converter and antenna in order to receive the fuzzy picture. Kind of like watching the set through a snow storm.

I was a paperboy at the ripe old age of 13. Two editions, morning and afternoon, six days a week (only one on Sunday) and you had better have the last morning paper delivered by 6:00 a.m., especially the Sunday. I had 133 Sunday customers and the paper was about 1 1/2 inches thick. You had to put the paper together over the course of several days and you had to go door to door to collect the money for the paper. I have to go nnow. I think I'm having a flashback. BTW, I scored 11

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:50 pm

garry91246 wrote:
Hi guys,
I've just read through Chasplaya's brilliant post of his memories of yester-year, unfortunately when checking through them all I found out I'm "Older than Dirt".

However, just thought you guys may be interested to know that here in the U.K.
1. The Milkmen still delivers milk in a glass bottle to the front door seven days a week, and certainly, in the rural area that I live in, it's delivered well before breakfast time, sometimes it's still dark when I hear the chinking of the bottles.

Take care

Garry
Hi Garry first time i've seen you on the Forum, welcome to TG its a great place both for the obvious guitar stuff and also the friends you can make. Milk bottles, ahhh fond memories, when I was growing up at home in Scotland there used to be a rush in the morning to get the cream off the top for breakfast and in winter the milk would freeze and we'd fight over who got the icy bits lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic