Average Age Of Site members

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:17 pm

I'm honoured to be in the same Wheelchair gang as you Wrench!

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:29 pm

@Chas: I would have mentioned Dad coming home with the day's story of the Harrier pilot who just landed (vertically) but forgot to drop his undercarriage thus writing of a million pound aircraft..... but Harriers seemed too modern ... although that was all Cold War stuff too! BTW I wasn't allowed to have a Russian CCCP signet on My black Lev Yashin goalie's shirt (to go with my yellow-tipped, steel-capped boots) as my father thought he'd be in trouble if anyone from the squadron saw it. Ice-cold times!

BigBear

Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:36 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I'm honoured to be in the same Wheelchair gang as you Wrench!
Chris- you will be pleased to know that this Yank did not get even one on your list but it was fascinating none-the-less!! How long did it take in London/England after WWII before you couldn't tell there hadn't been a war anymore? Were they still rebuilding as you were growing up? I know they still find unexploded ordanance there occasionally.

We managed to squeeze a little police action in after WWII called the Korean War. That's all I remember growing up. My Dad was a vet. I came damned close, by one year, of getting drafted for Vietnam! I got a number but they stopped the draft the year before I was eligible. It always interests me the memory of events other countries experience.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:35 am

Hi Bear. Yeah, a very English list! The post war standard of living in the States and England was just not comparable... we were poor you had big cars and TV's. As to the rebuilding and signs of bombing damage: You could still clearly see the after effects in the 60's - not rubble and ruins so much as poor areas not well rebuilt and generally a shabby looking country. And the economy didn't recover until the 90's!! I left to go to Germany in 1981 and it had a much higher standard of living, something I couldn't mention back in England... no one wanted to hear THAT! The US help rebuild Germany. Britain picked itself up off the floor and lost its empire but not a (now completely displaced) feeling of superiority. Thank God for the Beatles!

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:38 am

Do we have many members under 30 here, what do you guys think of this stuff so far?

neverfoundthetime

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:46 am

...there aren't any Chas.... You've scared them all off! Or they've got lives and are running around enjoying themselves oblivious to TG, Muppets and guitar trivia.

Catman

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:57 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Hi Bear. Yeah, a very English list! The post war standard of living in the States and England was just not comparable... we were poor you had big cars and TV's. As to the rebuilding and signs of bombing damage: You could still clearly see the after effects in the 60's
Chris, I grew up in Coventry, with the ruins of the old bombed out cathedral next to the new one. And yes, I remember many of the items on your list, but not all (no button crusher in our house), so I must be your junior. I left in '69 (with my parents; I was only 10)

David

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:01 am

Its maybe that the younger XYZ generations don't appreciate the humour us ancients grew up with, hey we could be wrting all about Monty Python wouldn't that throw them

I say have you any Camembert?

“Ah! We do have some Camembert, sir......It's a bit runny, sir....'Well as a matter of fact it's very runny, sir....I think it's runnier than you like it, sir...Yes, sir." (bends below counter and reappears) "Oh...The cat's eaten it."

Ok how about some Red Leicester? Sorry were fresh out..

Good lord how about Venezualan Beaver? “Not today sir, no.”

neverfoundthetime

Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:11 am

@ Dave:
Chris, I grew up in Coventry, with the ruins of the old bombed out cathedral next to the new one.
I used to visit Coventry in the60's and 70's to see relatives and I remember there was still much talk of the war as Coventry got hit so badly. Burned into the consciousness of the people. You are right, there were still ruins around. I saw Liverpool in the 60's and it looked like they just started clearing up in places! That's why I say, thank God for the Beatles... we really needed that new Zeitgeist.

@ Chas: Oh God Chas, don't start with Manty P! We'll never get out of here alive (he says, as we does his silly walk all around his laptop)! Neil will have us deported (can you do that from a website?) ;-)

haoli25

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:01 am

Do any of you ex-pats remember Radio Caroline?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic