This Old Guitar

Robhug12

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:39 pm

[video type=youtube][/video]

speedie

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:44 pm

Peter Huttlinger has a very good lesson on this song, I hope Neil adds some of the JD songs someday.

haoli25

Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:57 pm

At the risk of catching some heat, I will say that Huttlinger is a very good guitar player but he is NOT a very good teacher. That is often the case with many good guitar players. Teaching is a different skill from playing. Neil has it, Pete doesn't.

Bill

BigBear

Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:13 pm

haoli25 wrote:
At the risk of catching some heat, I will say that Huttlinger is a very good guitar player but he is NOT a very good teacher. That is often the case with many good guitar players. Teaching is a different skill from playing. Neil has it, Pete doesn't.
Bill, my friend, I totally disagree with you on that one!! Pete Huttlinger is a great teacher! I own several of his DVD's and the only one that isn't outstanding is the one on how to practice!

His DVD on Gordon Lightfoot is really good and so is the John Denver series. I haven't seen the Jim Croce DVD (I'm not a huge Croce fan although I respect the talent) but I would expect nothing less!

He is calm, pleasant and incredibly talented. His delivery is patient and easy to understand. I've learned a lot from Pete and I'm working on one of songs right now. The only guy I like better is Artie Traum (far better than Happy) but Artie is jammin' with Les Paul as we speak!! :cheer:

haoli25

Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:00 pm

Rick, I certainly respect your opinion. How would you compare Huttlinger's lesson presentation as compared to Neil Hogan's?

BigBear

Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:11 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Rick, I certainly respect your opinion. How would you compare Huttlinger's lesson presentation as compared to Neil Hogan's?

Bill- That's easy. Neil is a teacher. Pete Huttlinger is a demonstrator. Neil wants you to learn the techniques to become a better guitarist though the medium of classic songs. Pete shows you how to play it. The differnce is to Pete the song is the goal, to Neil the song is just the medium.

For most of us, Neil's approach is far better. But if you just want to learn some really cool songs, within the constraints of the DVD format, Pete does a great job IMHO.

haoli25

Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:16 pm

Fair enough Rick, I certainly can agree with that.

I further concede that Pete Huttlinger and Neil Hogan have similar singing styles! :laugh:

(sorry Neil)

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic