So I had Dinner with Neil

3loud

Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:10 pm

Only I really had Dinner with Neil , not just in my imagination ;)

The last 3 nights I have spent some time with my best friend , partner and all round good guy before he scoots of to Hawaii to settle his daughter into university...
As always I am made to feel part of the family and I love them all dearly, we drink nice wine, eat tasty Hawaii based food, I bring strange beer over and we always end up working on the business of TG and talking about music..

Every time I visit prog rock is playing and the running joke of early Genesis playing seemingly every time in the background..and their not even in his top 5 of prog rock fav's...

Anyways..we decided on the rest of the songs to add to the target program for the next month and I know you will all be happy with the really interesting mix that serves all playing levels..

Last night he shot two lessons while I watched, and it was just super to see him at work again, what is interesting to me is that preparation for a target lesson is 3 times the time component of actually filming...as with all things I have ever been involved in that are a success , the work is always behind the scenes, getting the music right, having everything set up mentally in advance before sitting down and playing..

When he does it is so eloquently and easily done, it is easy to forget what went on before he sat down to play..their is a serious lesson their for you all...

My biggest thrill though was listening to him tell me stories, we have some fantastic discussions that go everywhere, and one of my favorites was the connection story between meeting John Renbourne which led to Al Stewart which led to Lawrence Juber..

It is such an appealing story I am going to go back in a week and film the story, and have it for you all ..

The night for me was capped with listening to Neil and AL play a song that is relevant again called on the border, I told Neil (he doesn't watch the news)about the recent basque bombing in Majorca and ETA's 50 year anniversary...

This song by Al was written about the separatists..and their fight for independence..

Neil and Al played this song live in Montalvo with Al leading in with a Jam (heard it through the grapevine) that he didn't let Neil know about in advance so He had to improvise but wow did it sound good...then into the song...just fabulous..

We don't have video of this but we will put the audio up in a couple of weeks with the story as told by Neil... Just something different to share...

In the meantime check out this video of Al playing the song...enjoy..

Cheers

Matt

[video type=youtube][/video]

BigBear

Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:27 pm

Matt- great post! It's good to know that our respect and admiration for Neil is well placed He seems like a real special guy.

I'd love to see/hear more about Al Stewart. I'm a big fan and had the chance recently to meet and talk with him, and his fantastic backup guitarist David Nachmanoff at a very small gig he did here in my home town. Al is a great person who has contributed greatly to the world of music and fascinating to talk with.

Thanks gain Matt!

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:02 pm

Hi I think quite a few of us appreciate the work that goes into the lessons, I for one who used to belong to a dramatic society and put on plays know how much rehearsing goes on before the live shows. Due to that I have great admiration for Neil and what he does. As an aside you guys in the States seem to have more opportunity to meet with some of these 'greats' I'm green with envy and thats nothing to do with Muppets/Kermit.

BRBbrb

Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:15 pm

Love; this & "Year of the Cat" are in my favs on itunes. I knew Neil was a great player, but now I know he's world-class! FYI - when Jimmy Page was a session musician (pre-Zep), he played on one of Al Stewart's recordings!

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:11 pm

Don't tell me you have Love Chronicles. When was the last time you listened (sat through) it?!

Neil

rcsnydley

Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:05 pm

Matt,

Great video of a great song.

I eagerly await the video of the story to come out.

I have worked on some big all day music festivals as well as one night concerts and know the immense amount of work that goes on behind the scenes.

I have a great amount of respect and appreciation for what you and Neil and all of the TG people do to bring us the best guitar site on the internet. Thanks.

Ric

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:10 pm

Al Stewart is one of my favourites ever since Year Of The Cat which has one of the all time great solo breaks in it. I think Baker Street (Gerry Rafferty) was out the same time with another fantastic riff and solo. On the Border really whips up a Spanish island feeling. Another one from Al I love to play is Broadway Hotel. Great vids, great Beatles story. Thanks! Looking forward to any thing from Al Stewart.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic