What I Hate About This Site

Lavallee

Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:39 am

Thanks Neil for sharing your thoughts on your teaching and player's experience. You have discussed before the reasons why you choose to teach the songs you do : because there is something to be learn from, on top of the song itself. However this is the first you doing that deep. You want to teach how and why and not just what. It really confirms why I will stick around. Understanding your values and where you come from is very important in believing and trusting.

Marc

Catman

Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:07 am

wrench wrote:
...I don't try to un-learn stuff, because you are quite right about un-learning - it is difficult. I approach everything on TG as new stuff to learn. For example, I have two versions of House of the Rising Sun in my head, the 1967 hack I learned wrong as a kid, and the 2009 TG version. I just don't play the 1967 version any more.
I like that way of thinking. Eventually the unused stuff will get pushed out (like Kelly Bundy preparing for the game show... :) )

rcsnydley

Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:54 am

WOW - what a great thread!

I know what you mean Chris about having to unlearn some of the old ways you played things. I really like wrench's perspective of learning a "new" way to do things and then not using the "old" way anymore.

I have my share of bad habits and by following Neil's guidance have been able leave the "old" way behind and use the "new" way, helping to make myself a better guitar player in the end.

In the case of "From The Beginning", a song I also am working on, learning a more accurate way to play it as well as the technique involved is doubly rewarding. I have already used some of what I've learned on other songs.

Thanks to all for such a great discussion and thanks to Neil, Matt and the crew for such a great site.

Ric

Music Junkie

Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:59 am

Two things I hate (o.k. - really love) about this site:

1: How I have to sign in first thing every day and several times each day to see what everyone is up to and what is new in the TARGET and theory sections (even though we have a lot of off-topic stuff, there is still a ton of solid info flying around and I love to see it all). If I miss a day, I feel lost. I just need my daily fix.

2: How it makes me realize that I am a terrible player that needs a lot of work. That being said, the info and friendship here has driven me to practice at least twice as much as I did before joining. My fingers hurt some days. Although, to borrow a section from another post, the people around me are starting to recognize much more of what I am playing........

So, that's what I hate (love) about this site. I am sure with all of the new stuff coming down the line, I will find plenty more to hate as well.....

B) B) B)

BigBear

Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:52 am

I don't think I made my point very well and Neil picked right up on it. Thank you Neil for explaining your philosophy; very helpful!

I was trying to say if you like the way you play a tune don't "unlearn" just because Neil teaches it diiferently, unless, and this is key, your technique sucks. If so, relearn it with the correct technique.

I love Paint it Black. And I generally liked the way I played it before Neil's version. But Neil's version was cleaner, simplier and sounded better so I threw out my version.

Anyway, great thread and cheers to everyone "unlearning" their repertoire! LOL!

haoli25

Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:05 pm

I had always been very happy with my version of "Classical Gas"....that is until I watched Neil's lesson.

Afterwards, MY version could best be described by the late Don Adams, "Missed it by THAT much!"

It has been a challenge to re-learn this great song, but so far my slow progress has been well worth the effort. Re-learning is just another form of learning.

:S

Bill

rcsnydley

Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:14 pm

BigBear wrote:
I love Paint it Black. And I generally liked the way I played it before Neil's version. But Neil's version was cleaner, simplier and sounded better so I threw out my version.
Good point Rick. I play "Sweet Baby James" using barre chords in the beginning sections rather than open chords as Neil shows. I still use the barre chords even after watching Neil's lesson because I like the voicings. I used to play different chords where the Em7sus4 and Asus4 chords are and since I know these chords a what James Taylor is using I have changed how I play those sections to make it more accurate.

So, sometimes you don't have to totally throw out your "old" way of playing it but just adapt it accordingly.

Ric

mark

Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:28 pm

I have found it relatively easy it incorporate some things that Neil has taught into some existing songs I play.
For example I have added bits of Neil's arrangement of yesterday to what I played already.

However once I understood the real importance of alternate picking, I had to go over all the things I played and correct my picking. I found that I was picking a lot of songs wrongly. I was picking some songs in a way that I thought was making it easier, but was actually making it harder.

Chasplaya

Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:09 pm

I don't beleive its unlearning its whats called in adult education as 'Insight' learning where what you already have is a framework to build and improve on, whether that be the right chords or the correct pattern , cross picking or alternate picking. I look on it as adding to what I know maybe improving (thats generally it LOL) and like wrench maybe treating some things as new ways. You still have the tune in your head that doesn't change its just your approach/technique to play that needs building. You still retain some of the learning you've received in the past this is adding to that, remember some things you learn initially are quite basic then you progress.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:02 pm

Chris, you are quite right about un-learning - it is difficult. I approach everything on TG as new stuff to learn. For example, I have two versions of House of the Rising Sun in my head, the 1967 hack I learned wrong as a kid, and the 2009 TG version. I just don't play the 1967 version any more.

I look at TG as all new and all fun; I resist using what I learned previously because most of it was wrong. This approach helps me with the disappoint factor.
Great Wrench, you bring up exactly the point I would make as a sports coach: You never need to unlearn anything - just practice the new technique and at some point you will choose it because it is more efficient or effective. When you learn something, there is a physical process going on of growing new neural pathways in the brain. You lay down new cells like building a highway and the signals follow these new pathways. So there is actual brain change and growing going on. The older connections don't disappear, they just become less used, and indeed, can whither. When the new highways become broader and more stable they handle the traffic better, the signals can flow and off you go! When you understand that physical growing is taking place, you realise that you need time for the processes to become strong enough. A little patience and belief in yourself will go a long way.
End of sermon! :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic