Meaning Behind Your Site Name

tovo

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:38 pm

"There are things known...and things unknown. In between is TOVO" (Apologies to the Doors..who came up with that quote anyway, Jim Morrison??)

Anyway not really.....first 2 letters of my 1st name and surname put together. Not very mysterious or clever but I used to work for a large software company and that is how they allocated namecodes to their employees and mine just stuck, many people still call me that.

Music Junkie

Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:24 pm

suziko wrote:
Though I look back on some of the risks I took and think, "I hope to God my daughter never does those things!" I think I'd be happy if she never left town! :)
I hear ya, if my boys do half of the stuff that I pulled as a younger man, I will have a few heart attacks before it is all over......

LOL

:P

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:13 pm

Suzi... my daughter thinks I've never tried a joint, never got drunk (almost never) and didn't do all those other STUPID things I'm not going to admit to here.... NEVER let on!! :-)

cosmicmechanic

Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:29 pm

Mine was inspired by a book that blew open my worldview, around 1985: "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

It gets pretty spacey ... most of the book occurs within the author's head as he crosses the US on his motorcycle with his son.

One theme of the book is that our ways of categorizing the world are subjective, and that we impose limits on ourselves by insisting on keeping those categories separate.

The image that came to my mind is that this is like cutting a pie into so many pieces. Though it is convenient to manage it in slices, it still remains one pie, and we often come to believe that the pie's slices are separate because they are objectively different, forgetting that the distinctions we make are subjective, and that there are an infinite number of ways of slicing it.

A practical application for this? For example, "Technical" versus "Artistic" ... this distinction did not exist industrialization: Why should Math not be art? Why should art not be technical?

In a nutshell, at the time I read the book, I was quite the "artsy" type, and suddenly many limits just fell ... for example, I began doing auto mechanics (had the same car for 17 years, didn't set foot in a garage) and also got a degree in computer science.

Now, if I can just figure out what this wooden box with strings is for ...

goldleaf

Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:33 pm

Well, guess it's my turn. Nothing really interesting. I live in the Grass Valley, Nevada City area, off of Hwy49 as in the 49er gold rush. Lots of closed and some open gold mines still in operation. Both are small tourist/retirement towns and they refer to the area as "Gold Country". I had a small hobby with jewelry and some decorating. I occasionally used "Gold Leaf". This is my first forum or computer website like this so I just picked a word I thought sounded good and I thought I could live with over a period of time, you know sometimes I made up a password and not too long later I though "what was I thinking when I made that up"? So that's my story. Gary

songman52

Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:20 pm

Hi to all. Not much to my moniker. I've sung all of my life (and I'm TIRED!!) Seriously, just added my year of birth to the end. Nothing esoteric, just a practical sort of thing.
BTW, I've really enjoyed reading the threads and "getting to know" some of you. We really have a lot in common, most obvious being trying to learn guitar or get better.

willem

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:27 am

Hello everybody, for me its simpel, its my firstname(Willem),when you translate,you can also say Bill,,,cheeeeeeeeese!! Image

neverfoundthetime

Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:19 am

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

I had you figured for something like that Cosmic. My ZEN experience was a little earlier with The Inner Game of Tennis by Timothy Gallway. Shiffted my mind nicely a few feet to the left and has given me a wonderful perspective on myself, others and on coaching.

jayswett

Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:32 am

I wish now that I had chosen something a bit more clever than my actual name. I wonder if I can change my site name.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:46 am

Hey, no problem Jay, it's a friendly sounding name. In my own slightly dyslexic way, I read: Jays Welt which is German for Jay's world. Fine for me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic