Recording Yourself on Video - Production Tips

AcousticAl

Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:53 am

Hey TG!

I wasn't sure where I should post this. I actually covered a lot of this in another thread on another topic- but that will eventually get buried in the heap so to speak. I thought video tips deserved it's own thread. BTW- I'm a shooter/editor in Canada.

This thread isn't for recommendations about what specific gear to use-- Matt & TG have recommendations on what works best for them and youtube. It's for tips on video recording in general. So here goes..

-Choose a quiet room/place. Somewhere that you won't be interrupted (phones/kids/dog etc.)

-Make sure there's lots of light. Low light means grainy, gray video. Either sunlight or room light or both is good. Just make sure the light source is mostly in front and not behind you- or you'll be in silhouette.

-Take the time to frame your shot. Get the camera on a level surface. It doesn't need to be a tripod- but make sure whatever your camera is on is flat/level. Many camcorders have 'flip-out' lcd screens turn 180 degrees. This will let you line your shot up properly.

-Check the audio you'll be recording with headphones. Most camera's built-in microphones will be ok to use- just get it as close to you as possible while still framing the shot you want. If you happen to have an external mic- that would give you even better sound. Just place it about a foot away from the sound hole of your guitar.

-There's a saying in video- 'Garbage in-- garbage out'! You can't improve on the initial quality you record at. Therefore, try to record at the best possible quality for whatever gear you use. The better the quality, the better visuals you'll upload, and the more detail we'll see when we view it.
**EDIT- I need to qualify this point about quality. You need to try to find a balance between the quality/size of your video file-- and the maximum size youtube will accept for a file (2 gigs). As a point of reference- I uploaded quicktime files (.mov) using a sorenson compression. My files were about 150 meg each, and still had pretty good quality. .avi files will tend to be huge and unmanageable.

-Another saying in video is 'Tape is cheap'. Check the video when you're done to see if it shows what you need it to. If not- then do it again.

-Relax! I was really nervous about putting my playing out there for all to see- but I have received nothing but positive and constructive feedback from everyone. I'm sure you'll have the same outcome.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to seeing your vids!

Al

Catman

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:27 am

Very useful post! Karma to you.

David

AndyT

Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:58 pm

I agree, Karma your way.

AcousticAl

Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:13 pm

Thanks guys.

FYI- I made an edit to the original post..

BigBear

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:31 pm

Great post, Al! You da Man!!! :cheer:

heyjoe

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:59 pm

More Karma for you Al.

All good points, I would also mention that if like me, you use a web camera to record, and you have an electro-acoustic, then I find you get better sound quality if you plug your guitar into the laptop and record directly. I've tried without the lead and the audio quality is much worse.

What I would also suggesst is maybe using an audio program like audacity to record on to.

I'll second what Al has said about putting videos on here, I've had nothing but positive responses- and constructive help- which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Thanks

Joe

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:21 pm

Great help AL. Al just coached my through converting my first video which I hope will appear sometime soon. KArma for you Al!

AcousticAl

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm making a new thread of our 'compression convo' now, Chris.

Glad it worked and looking forward to seeing your vid!!

goldleaf

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:58 pm

Al, thanks for the detailed answer to recording/video/audio several days ago. I did mention that this would be a good forum to start. I've been looking online for a mini video cam with an external mic output. You showed me the clip Matt put out and suggested the "Flip" mini video cam that has a USB plug in as part of the camera and software that makes downloading to Youtube almost automatic. No external mic out though. Starting Sept 1, Kodak is selling a Mini video cam "Zi8" it has a outlet for an external mic and costs under $200. I'm still looking for a microphone that is compatable with that system. They run from $30 to $800. Think I found one for about $60 that plugs into the mini cam and dosen't pick up surrounding noises so you can point it at your soundhole from a couple feel away. Have you heard of the Kodak Zi8??? Gary

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:01 pm

Many thanks to Al: my first attempt at recording work in progress is up. Thanks for the inspiration of all who have gone before. It was fun! Comments & tips welcome... be gentle with me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic