Recording Yourself on Video - Production Tips

AcousticAl

Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:04 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Al, thanks for the detailed answer to recording/video/audio several days ago. I did mention that this would be a good forum to start. I've been looking online for a mini video cam with an external mic output. You showed me the clip Matt put out and suggested the "Flip" mini video cam that has a USB plug in as part of the camera and software that makes downloading to Youtube almost automatic. No external mic out though. Starting Sept 1, Kodak is selling a Mini video cam "Zi8" it has a outlet for an external mic and costs under $200. I'm still looking for a microphone that is compatable with that system. They run from $30 to $800. Think I found one for about $60 that plugs into the mini cam and dosen't pick up surrounding noises so you can point it at your soundhole from a couple feel away. Have you heard of the Kodak Zi8??? Gary
Sorry Gary- don't know that model. Also, as I mentioned in a different thread- an external mic isn't crucial. Marc and Joe didn't use one (I think? They can correct me if I'm wrong). Don't go spending $$ that you don't need to..

AcousticAl

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi again Gary,

Actually Joe plugged directly into his computer (he has an acoustic/electric). Marc went with camera-mic (right Marc?). So there's 3 videos uploaded- all using different methods to record audio.. and you can compare the sound. For our purposes, I don't think it really matters- as long as it's not distorted..

BigBear

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:53 pm

Al- what program are you using to put the intro page (song title etc.) on the video?

Thanks! :cheer:

AcousticAl

Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:42 pm

I use an edit program called Avid. It's a pretty standard program for film and tv- and quite expensive if you just want to do what we're doing here.

You're probably better off with MovieMaker- that I described in great detail to Chris in the 'Compression Thread' that I posted. I didn't describe how to make titles in there- but there is a tab/function that will let you do simple titles, effects and fades. There's also a help/tutorial function there as well.
I'm pretty sure MovieMaker is bundled with most Windows operating systems.

Al

goldleaf

Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:48 pm

Al, thanks for pointing out that several of the video's have been made with the in cam mic or plugging directly into the computer. As long as the audio/vid quality is reasonable that's fine by me. It's more about the guitar playing than anything else. You are right on about not having to spend any extra $$. I'll probably look for a ressonably priced video cam maybe the Flip since that one seems to make transfering to Youtube easy and the price is right. Thanks for the guidance, it is appreciated. Gary

willem

Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:51 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Hey TG!

I wasn't sure where I should post this. I actually covered a lot of this in another thread on another topic- but that will eventually get buried in the heap so to speak. I thought video tips deserved it's own thread. BTW- I'm a shooter/editor in Canada.

This thread isn't for recommendations about what specific gear to use-- Matt & TG have recommendations on what works best for them and youtube. It's for tips on video recording in general. So here goes..

-Choose a quiet room/place. Somewhere that you won't be interrupted (phones/kids/dog etc.)

-Make sure there's lots of light. Low light means grainy, gray video. Either sunlight or room light or both is good. Just make sure the light source is mostly in front and not behind you- or you'll be in silhouette.

-Take the time to frame your shot. Get the camera on a level surface. It doesn't need to be a tripod- but make sure whatever your camera is on is flat/level. Many camcorders have 'flip-out' lcd screens turn 180 degrees. This will let you line your shot up properly.

-Check the audio you'll be recording with headphones. Most camera's built-in microphones will be ok to use- just get it as close to you as possible while still framing the shot you want. If you happen to have an external mic- that would give you even better sound. Just place it about a foot away from the sound hole of your guitar.

-There's a saying in video- 'Garbage in-- garbage out'! You can't improve on the initial quality you record at. Therefore, try to record at the best possible quality for whatever gear you use. The better the quality, the better visuals you'll upload, and the more detail we'll see when we view it.
**EDIT- I need to qualify this point about quality. You need to try to find a balance between the quality/size of your video file-- and the maximum size youtube will accept for a file (2 gigs). As a point of reference- I uploaded quicktime files (.mov) using a sorenson compression. My files were about 150 meg each, and still had pretty good quality. .avi files will tend to be huge and unmanageable.

-Another saying in video is 'Tape is cheap'. Check the video when you're done to see if it shows what you need it to. If not- then do it again.

-Relax! I was really nervous about putting my playing out there for all to see- but I have received nothing but positive and constructive feedback from everyone. I'm sure you'll have the same outcome.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to seeing your vids!

Al
GREAT, I WOULD GIVE YOU 7 KARMA, BUT YOU KNOW IT'S ONE EACH DAY!!

any tips for making funny things?? i thought you can play together with Neil when you put the camera to your computer screen and your self....

willem

Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:57 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
I use an edit program called Avid. It's a pretty standard program for film and tv- and quite expensive if you just want to do what we're doing here.

You're probably better off with MovieMaker- that I described in great detail to Chris in the 'Compression Thread' that I posted. I didn't describe how to make titles in there- but there is a tab/function that will let you do simple titles, effects and fades. There's also a help/tutorial function there as well.
I'm pretty sure MovieMaker is bundled with most Windows operating systems.

Al
YOU MEAN WINDOWS/MOVIEMAKER??

AndyT

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:15 pm

Willem. Yes, Movie Maker that came with Windows XP and Visa. It is free and you can use it to make your own movies with titles and special effects and other goodies.

AcousticAl

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:40 pm

Thanks Andy. Yes Willem- Windows Movie Maker. I look forward to the karma you're sending my way for the next seven days ;)

As far as funny things go- are you talking about for the contest that Matt announced? What's funny to some people isn't funny to others. I think you just have to think up an idea that you find funny and go with it. Hopefully others think it's funny too.

Good luck!

Al

willem

Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:52 am

AcousticAl wrote:
Thanks Andy. Yes Willem- Windows Movie Maker. I look forward to the karma you're sending my way for the next seven days ;)

As far as funny things go- are you talking about for the contest that Matt announced? What's funny to some people isn't funny to others. I think you just have to think up an idea that you find funny and go with it. Hopefully others think it's funny too.

Good luck!

Al
YOUR FIRST KARMA,DAY ONE!! I FORGOT YESTERDAY!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic