Recording Yourself on Video - Compression Tips

AcousticAl

Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:33 pm

Here's another thread for you on with tips on COMPRESSION... This is basically a 'how to' on using Window's Movie Maker to recompress files.

I was speaking with Chris (neverfoundthetime) about video files that are too large to upload. Youtube only accepts files of 2gig or LESS. Therefore- if your computer file is too big- you'll need to re-export it to convert it to a smaller file size for youtube (this also usually means a different format). I think our discussion will help others that may have similar questions or issues re. file sizes and compression.

I edited this a bit for content (but it's still LONG). This is also a lot of info to take in- but worthwhile reading if you have similar issues or are curious about how to change file sizes..

Chris:
Hey Al, I actually recorded myself with my dell webcam and have two vids to post. Now I understand I go to my Youtube account and post it there and somehow link it from there. Right? The files are 8 gigs so I guess they have to be converted. How do you do that best. I downloaded the software on YOutube but they want you to register and pay for that. Anyway of avoiding costs? Many thanks if you can help me on that Al.
Chris

AcousticAl:
Hi Chris, The maximum size youtube will accept is 2gig. What format did you record your videos in? .avi? They are pretty big files and you don't need that much data for this. You need to either re-record your files (re-shoot them) with different settings in your webcam program-- or re-export your existing file to a smaller format. I used quicktime (.mov)
Here's a youtube link about specs that they like: http://www.google.com/support/youtube/b ... 2&hl=en-US
Al

Neverfoundthetime:
I'd like to try the re-export option but can not find how to do that. I'm on Dell laptop with a Dell webcam which recorded in avi format. I have realplayer and windows media player 11 if that's any good? Don't want to re-record as I'll have the same result.

AcousticAl:
Do you have windows movie maker? It's usually free with xp.. There's a way to convert files in there..

Neverfoundthetime:
Hi Al I'm on Vista.... Movie maker I haven't seen

AcousticAl:
I would have thought moviemaker was bundled with most windows products.. Check your program list- you might not even know you have it..

Neverfoundthetime:
Way to go Al! I do have Movie Maker....

AcousticAl:
If you do have Movie Maker- then 'Import the video' under the 'Capture Video' tab. That will load it into your 'collection'. Then drag it down to the 'timline'. Here is where you could edit/add effects etc. I wouldn't bother if you've never used the program before. Then under the 'Finish Movie' tab, select 'Save to my computer'. Then call it something you want and point to where you want to save it. Click next.. Then select 'other settings', 'high quality video' (ntsc) Click next and it will re-encode your piece. Let me know how/if this works for you..

AcousticAl:
Also, you can experiment with other video settings in the 'save to my computer' step. I just chose the 'high quality video (ntsc) at random. Seems a good place to start. Just look at the video size of the original video and compare it to what your new file size is..

AcousticAl:
Just to muddy the waters a little more-- you can actually try to capture your next video from WITHIN movie maker. You would select 'capture from video device' from the 'capture video' tab and then select your webcam in the 'available devices' (hopefully it would show up there). This would save you a step in the encoding. You would also get to choose a different/smaller video format to shoot it in. 'Best quality for my computer' might be good.. I've had problems with my webcam and it's not working properly for me right now..

Neverfoundthetime:
These are great tips Al, many thanks for the help.
Yep, that worked. Great!

** That's all the convo. Hope it helps someone else in videoland!
(Neil & Matt- I want a job if I ever move to California!!)

Al

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:38 pm

I'll be a referee on your application for you Al! ;-)

haoli25

Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:58 pm

More Karma for you Al. Good work.

Chasplaya

Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:03 am

Good pointers Al, I'd beconcerned about taking Statler up in him being a referee, I mean who could take a muppet in a Buffalo hat seriously!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic