Laptop related question-tech help needed

heyjoe

Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:05 am

My laptop saves everything to its C drive (where vista and all the programmes are located), which is starting to fill up now. I'm busy going through all my stuff on here and giving it a good clean, and wondered, the E Drive (the data drive on here) has a lot of space free, and only holds the reinstall programmes etc etc

Would it be ok for me to put photos/videos on the Data Drive- would it affect the reinstall programmes- just wondered, as theres a lot of space there that I could use.

If any tech minded people could let me know, then that would be great

Thanks in advance

Joe

AcousticAl

Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:23 am

Hey Joe,

I'm thinking your data drive is for exactly that- storing data. It shouldn't be an issue to put vids or photos on there. Just keep good track of them so you don't mess things up with your reinstall pgms.
Having said that- another option is to get an external usb drive. They run about $100 for 500gig now in Canada. I store all my videos that way.

btw- red is OUT this fall :laugh:

willem

Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:48 am

AcousticAl wrote:
Hey Joe,

I'm thinking your data drive is for exactly that- storing data. It shouldn't be an issue to put vids or photos on there. Just keep good track of them so you don't mess things up with your reinstall pgms.
Having said that- another option is to get an external usb drive. They run about $100 for 500gig now in Canada. I store all my videos that way.

btw- red is OUT this fall :laugh:
Hello Joe and Al, the external usb drive or harddisk is the best way, don't measup with you E DRIVE!!!!!

AcousticAl

Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:59 am

Hi Willem,

You're right. That's the safest way to go.
Although I would think that Joe would have his reinstall programs on CD somewhere.. but maybe not. Seems a pain to buy an external if he's got loads of space on his laptop though.

haoli25

Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:01 am

Joe,

Have you considered using a few USB Flash Drives to store your photos and videos? I use several of them to back up my computers every month and to transfer files between computers. The smaller ones (2 gB to 4 gB) are pretty cheap too, about $10.

Bill

rcsnydley

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:05 am

Joe,

You can easily use your E: drive for storage (as that would appear is why it is there). As for programs they can be installed and run on one drive and still store their data on another, it is usually just a setting in the program telling where to store the data (pic, vids, etc).

External USB drives a great idea, they hold a lot of data and are portable. When you plug them in they will be assigned a drive letter and you can then point your program to the drive. You can also (and this works for your E: drive as well) double click on a pic or vid or etc and it should open the appropriate application automatically.

Hope this helps some

Ric

Music Junkie

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:41 am

My vote goes to the external drive. I have two of them for my laptop. One is a terabyte, and the other is 750GB. The first holds all of my music, pictures, movies, backups of important programs, etc. The second is used mostly as a second copy, or back-up of the most important things on the first (because the external drives can give you fits and break down from time to time - has not happened to me yet - fingers crossed). Like mentioned above, when you plug it in, it will be assigned a drive letter. Then you just need to assign things to specific drives. Your data can most likely be dragged and dropped from windows explorer (that is how I was able to copy my data over). One you have your data there, just set your laptop up to save directly to your external (unless you won't have it hooked up all the time - then just drag and drop on a regular basis to back things up). I love mine, and it has really kept my laptop running up to speed.

MJ

:laugh:

heyjoe

Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:08 am

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the advice. Just to answer a few points made;

I've got a couple of copies of the restore program on DVD, as the laptop said to do, so no worries there.
I've just been through all my files, photos, videos, tab file setc, and I didnt realise I had so many copies of photos & files etc etc, so I;ve been able to free up a large amount of space on the hard drive.
I have 2 8GB USB flash drives, which a lot of my stuff is backed up on- however, I havent used them in a while, so am going to store some more stuff on them as well.

I'll be looking into an external drive at some point as well, the storage they offer looks to be fantastic.

After a rather long system de-frag and clean, things are now working well.

Most importantly, red is in, forerver Al:laugh:

Thanks again

Joe

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic