jim56

Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:54 am

Hi all,

I would like to see Neil expand his instructions to include classical lessons
starting from the beginning. I've been working on Romanza. Anyone else up
for the challenge?

Catman

Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:37 am

I would like a way to see if there has been any activity (since my last visit) in any of the groups that I am a member of. One way would be email notifications, but I would prefer an indicator on my profile page, similar to pm and friend requests.

AcousticAl

Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:37 am

Chasplaya wrote:
rcsnydley wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
Give greater meaning to karma points and if you attain so many provide an incentive i.e free month subscriptions.
The problem with karma points is they are so subjective. If you are popular and have a bunch of buddies they can give karma points for nothing, other than they like you.

Karma points are fun, but not necessarily an indication of useful posting. It could easily turn into a popularity contest, or I'll give you karma points if you give me karma points.

Ric
Make it so only moderators admins or Instructors dish out karma

That's a terrible idea, Chas! Negative karma for you! (kidding:)

I like the idea of karma in general. It would be good if you could use it for something eventually- (a free month's membership?) but then you would have a problem with friends helping friends out in order to get 'the prize'.

I also like the idea of users having some control over karma. It's a subtle way of steering people in the ways of TG (courtesy, respect etc). And it's a lot more subtle than just 'flaming' someone like they do on other guitar websites. I also don't think TG admin has the time to be controlling and dishing out karma. It does risk becoming a popularity contest- but my observation is that most of the people with high karma are the ones who have helped people out the most on this site.

AcousticAl

Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:55 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Given this site as it stands seems to be so popular and the membership appears to be increasing I imagine Neils is having to work overtime; therefore, a suggestion would be to increase the number of Instructors; say one each for beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. But retain the style of the current instruction. I'm sure Neil could mentor a few guitar teachers along the way.

Also as for the Forums one for the level you are at i.e. beginner, intermediate and advanced with perhaps a common interest one for all members but retain the fun areas.

More moderators, some threads it may be ok to go off topic but others can confuse people. I don't mean 'thread police' , but maybe a means for the originator of a thread to be the moderator for that thread, if it can be done that is. But the fact this is not overdone here adds to the attraction of the site it is mostly self governing but the bigger we get the harder that will become.

The odd incentive, meaningful competitions with worthwhile prizes, Neils CD's for example, a free one on one session with an Instructor. Competitions aimed at the different levels so the winners get spread around. You would need some form of establishing playing level first though like in golf handicaps. Give greater meaning to karma points and if you attain so many provide an incentive i.e free month subscriptions.

I know Neil is only one guy and there are only so many hours in the day for him. I also know that Matt is advertising for guitar teachers in another thread. So I guess TG will have to hire more instructors. But Neil is the reason I came here. A suggestion-- Perhaps the new hire(s) can work more on getting the scales/fundamentals section up and running? Leave Neil to do the songs?

1robekert

Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:57 am

I think the site is close to fine as it is. Some songs are way beyond my ability some don't appeal to me. There is enough content to keep me happy for a long time. I really value the armchair approach that Neil takes in the videos. I really like the "theory" and "break it down" segments. He gives little tips about the songs and tips about technique. I am not a good player but Neil makes me feel that I may be better some day.

Truth be told I have been a member of a few sites over my 3 or so years of my guitar journey. I have never taken "face to face" lessons. I have been a member of "Next Level Guitars".................too disjointed. David Talb is a good guy but his laid back "California Stoner" attitude got to me after a while. When they had to revamp the site because of song copyright concerns the site changed drastically. To be quite honest I think after they got too big, I asume they did start to make money, the site became impersonal. I did not like all of the other instructors they added. I took it as David Talb was too big to teach now so he handed the menial task of instruction to subordinates. I paid for David Talb as my teacher not those other people.

I know this site has to be a lot of work. Neil is obviously a talented guitarist and more importantly a very talented teacher. Neil is the reason I joined this site. Please don't lose sight of that fact. I consider him my guitar teacher. I followed Neil's YouTube videos for quite a while and was very excited to hear of the launch of the TARGET program on TG. If you did nothing else other than add more songs as the months go by I would be totally satisfied. Continue to add to the Guitar 101 section and organize a beginner's program.

I am sure you are aware of the guy in England. He makes his instruction free for all. He is in the process of releasing, in stages, a comprehensive beginner program. If Neil could do his version of something like this I believe this could attract new beginner players. The guy in England is getting distracted from adding songs to his website because he is working on a new album. That is fine he does not charge for lessons or content.

The biggest mistake I think this site could make is to lose sight of the fact that Neil Hogan is Totally Guitars. Water him down and you water the site down. IMHO.

I like the idea someone had to segment the instruction, the boards, and anything else into skill levels.

I pay $100 a month for guitar lessons for my son. He is 10. He is too unfocused to learn from TG. He needs the face to face interaction of a teacher. His teacher has not given any where near the amount of instruction in his lessons that is available here. The internet is a different animal though. In some ways it has made little known info available to the masses in other ways it has made knowledge almost worthless. Most do not want to pay for anything on the internet. You really have to have a well packaged product to make people want to pay. It has to be a fantastic value.

Whew...............where did all that come from :unsure:

Hey.....................why don't all of you cut me a break and give me some karma. How do I have 0 Karma. I use the word Karma in conversation a few times a day. I am so Karmaeske it makes me dizzy. All that aside I think the Karma thing should be deleted. It serves no real purpose. It is kind of like the people on other boards who have 5000 posts, 10,000 posts. Many of the posts are just one word answers to build their total. I don't say anything unless it is of real value to the topic........but that is just me.

Hope I have given you some food for thought Matt.
Rob

AcousticAl

Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:57 am

rcsnydley wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
Online tools, i.e. the TG Metronome, TG Tuner, TG Chord generator
The online tools are a great idea.

Ric
Having a 'metronome button' available at the bottom of the screen for each lesson would be great. I'd use it.

AcousticAl

Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:01 am

Good post Rob!

Karma for you!! :laugh:

willem

Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 am

AcousticAl wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
Given this site as it stands seems to be so popular and the membership appears to be increasing I imagine Neils is having to work overtime; therefore, a suggestion would be to increase the number of Instructors; say one each for beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. But retain the style of the current instruction. I'm sure Neil could mentor a few guitar teachers along the way.

Also as for the Forums one for the level you are at i.e. beginner, intermediate and advanced with perhaps a common interest one for all members but retain the fun areas.

More moderators, some threads it may be ok to go off topic but others can confuse people. I don't mean 'thread police' , but maybe a means for the originator of a thread to be the moderator for that thread, if it can be done that is. But the fact this is not overdone here adds to the attraction of the site it is mostly self governing but the bigger we get the harder that will become.

The odd incentive, meaningful competitions with worthwhile prizes, Neils CD's for example, a free one on one session with an Instructor. Competitions aimed at the different levels so the winners get spread around. You would need some form of establishing playing level first though like in golf handicaps. Give greater meaning to karma points and if you attain so many provide an incentive i.e free month subscriptions.

I know Neil is only one guy and there are only so many hours in the day for him. I also know that Matt is advertising for guitar teachers in another thread. So I guess TG will have to hire more instructors. But Neil is the reason I came here. A suggestion-- Perhaps the new hire(s) can work more on getting the scales/fundamentals section up and running? Leave Neil to do the songs?
Hope he's not leaving,love the site so it is,for me also the reason i came here, acoustic guitar!!! thru Niel... and looking forwards he can alway's teach more on a given lesson, i have patiens.cheeese...

1robekert

Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:04 am

AcousticAl wrote:
Good post Rob!

Karma for you!! :laugh:
Thanks. (one word reply to build my posting count) ;)

AcousticAl

Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:08 am

We subscribe to the 'quality- not quantity' mentality.

B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic