If this were the perfect site ???

willem

Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:10 am

1robekert wrote:
I think the site is close to fine as it is. Some songs are way beyond my ability some don't appeal to me. There is enough content to keep me happy for a long time. I really value the armchair approach that Neil takes in the videos. I really like the "theory" and "break it down" segments. He gives little tips about the songs and tips about technique. I am not a good player but Neil makes me feel that I may be better some day.

Truth be told I have been a member of a few sites over my 3 or so years of my guitar journey. I have never taken "face to face" lessons. I have been a member of "Next Level Guitars".................too disjointed. David Talb is a good guy but his laid back "California Stoner" attitude got to me after a while. When they had to revamp the site because of song copyright concerns the site changed drastically. To be quite honest I think after they got too big, I asume they did start to make money, the site became impersonal. I did not like all of the other instructors they added. I took it as David Talb was too big to teach now so he handed the menial task of instruction to subordinates. I paid for David Talb as my teacher not those other people.

I know this site has to be a lot of work. Neil is obviously a talented guitarist and more importantly a very talented teacher. Neil is the reason I joined this site. Please don't lose sight of that fact. I consider him my guitar teacher. I followed Neil's YouTube videos for quite a while and was very excited to hear of the launch of the TARGET program on TG. If you did nothing else other than add more songs as the months go by I would be totally satisfied. Continue to add to the Guitar 101 section and organize a beginner's program.

I am sure you are aware of the guy in England. He makes his instruction free for all. He is in the process of releasing, in stages, a comprehensive beginner program. If Neil could do his version of something like this I believe this could attract new beginner players. The guy in England is getting distracted from adding songs to his website because he is working on a new album. That is fine he does not charge for lessons or content.

The biggest mistake I think this site could make is to lose sight of the fact that Neil Hogan is Totally Guitars. Water him down and you water the site down. IMHO.

I like the idea someone had to segment the instruction, the boards, and anything else into skill levels.

I pay $100 a month for guitar lessons for my son. He is 10. He is too unfocused to learn from TG. He needs the face to face interaction of a teacher. His teacher has not given any where near the amount of instruction in his lessons that is available here. The internet is a different animal though. In some ways it has made little known info available to the masses in other ways it has made knowledge almost worthless. Most do not want to pay for anything on the internet. You really have to have a well packaged product to make people want to pay. It has to be a fantastic value.

Whew...............where did all that come from :unsure:

Hey.....................why don't all of you cut me a break and give me some karma. How do I have 0 Karma. I use the word Karma in conversation a few times a day. I am so Karmaeske it makes me dizzy. All that aside I think the Karma thing should be deleted. It serves no real purpose. It is kind of like the people on other boards who have 5000 posts, 10,000 posts. Many of the posts are just one word answers to build their total. I don't say anything unless it is of real value to the topic........but that is just me.

Hope I have given you some food for thought Matt.
Rob
Very,very truth, very good words here ,these are the best good words.... Willem

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:18 am

AndyT wrote:
After quite a bit of consideration, I think getting rid of the Karma points would be a good thing. I have already seen it used as a weapon against someone and it just kept getting uglier and uglier. Finally TG Staff had to step in to correct the situation. And even still I see attacks happening.

The whole point of karma is to say thank you for something you posted. How about we just say 'Thanks' a bit more often instead.
I have seen this on other sites, and it seems to work pretty good. If you don't like what someone is saying, you can always "Report to Administrator". If you do, we could just have a "Thanks" button. Keep it positive and fun.....

:)

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:31 am

I see lots of great ideas in this thread. I like the ideas of useful tools (metronome and such). I think making sure that Neil is still able to be Neil is the MOST IMPORTANT one of all though. Like stated above, HE is the reason most, if not all, of us came here in the first place. I like th idea of other instructors making lessons on theory and application, but keep Neil in the "Song Seat". His insight and his background knowledge are unparalleled.....

I would not mind an electric lesson or two once in a while - solos over acoustic strumming and the sort.

I guess it really depends on what your ultimate goal is. Mine is to be able to play songs at home and around the campfire or at parties with friends. To that extent, the site as it is right now IS almost perfect.... However, I am sure there are plenty of others who do wish to take their playing to another level and play gigs and other live performances. For them, there are lots of other things that would more helpful...

My two cents.

Keep the great ideas coming, as i am really interested in seeing where we go from here.

As long as it remains fun and we continue to get the best of Neil and all you others behind the scenes, I am in!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheer:

AcousticAl

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:48 am

Sorry- I also forgot to request more mustaches and mullets..

quincy451

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:42 pm

Ok I got one for the suggesion box here. Not sure how Neil feels about 1 to many guitar instruction in person. I am sure he has experience with this, or at least an opinion.

But what about taking the webnair to the next level.
Ok you start off with a multiple video view screen. You have a big window in the middle where Niel instructs on a song or a riff or a scale or something. Then on the right you have participates video linked in with guitars in hand. The audio for the session would come from one source controled by Neil or a tech person following this. Say Niel demos something. Then someone on the right list of windows is selected. They now are on the bigger screen and have audio and Niel can listen to and see them play the same thing. That way he can instruct one and the others can benefit from that as well.

On the bottom would be small chat screen for others to fire off questions to neil as he moves along. Things could be capped in such a way that at any one time there is only one screen with full moving video and full audio. The idea of moving people to the larger window for them to play what was demoed was so Niel could hear it and see the technic as well.

Doable yes, easy no, value you tell me...
One thing I would do is limit the number of paricites to say 20 or so max that way it does not become bogged down moving from participate to participate without much going on.

TGMatt

Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:12 pm

Just been culling some off topic posts to keep this thread 100% on topic..

I would love to get some more specifics..

FOr instance one of the tools we though of was tuning tool, along with the metronome and a few others..what else is their that you would love to see.

What kind of forum categories would you like

what would you like to see in the social side ?..

Cheers your all doing a sterling job

BigBear

Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:39 pm

AndyT wrote:
After quite a bit of consideration, I think getting rid of the Karma points would be a good thing. I have already seen it used as a weapon against someone and it just kept getting uglier and uglier. Finally TG Staff had to step in to correct the situation. And even still I see attacks happening.

The whole point of karma is to say thank you for something you posted. How about we just say 'Thanks' a bit more often instead.

I always thought karma was for a particularly helpful or thoughtful post? I agree it can be used as a retaliation and I have lost karma for criticizing an out of control member, who thankfully seems to have disappeared!

But overall I think it is harmless in most cases. But saying thanks or expressing sincere appreciation is never out of style!! :cheer:

Chasplaya

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:07 pm

Catman wrote:
I would like a way to see if there has been any activity (since my last visit) in any of the groups that I am a member of. One way would be email notifications, but I would prefer an indicator on my profile page, similar to pm and friend requests.
This is a particularly good idea, i find it difficult to track all the groups I belong to or have started.

Also to gain greater control over the creation of Groups maybe a system whereby you request a Group and gain approval or pointed in the direction of one already in existence. We already have a couple that could be merged.

Get affiliated with other Guitar related sites e.g. Manufacturers (Cole Clark for example), legit tab sites, sheet music sites in such a way that TG members can gain discounts, this already happens at other sites, if done discreetly it wouldn't need to be in the way of annoying popups but a separate page.

Guest clinics on particular style for the webinars, I know this has been mentioned but some Guitar manufacturers also promote their guitars in this manner.

A review section where you can post a review on your guitar, so it doesn't get verbose as some of us are inclined, make it a simple questionnaire about specifics that is completed and then posted,thus making it easier to compare with others.

AndyT

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:16 pm

Bear,
True enough, but do you think it is better to remove some things that can be used wrongly? Of course, that would in the long run mean that we should be hidden in a cave for life, but you don't let a toddler run around the house with a knife either.
So, if we keep the Karma, then it should be limited to only positive additions. That way, we promote good relations with each other while still disarming the children. (Not counting people in their second childhood! :laugh: )

BigBear

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:23 pm

AndyT wrote:
Bear,
True enough, but do you think it is better to remove some things that can be used wrongly? Of course, that would in the long run mean that we should be hidden in a cave for life, but you don't let a toddler run around the house with a knife either.
So, if we keep the Karma, then it should be limited to only positive additions. That way, we promote good relations with each other while still disarming the children. (Not counting people in their second childhood! :laugh: )

That's a better idea- just remove the "thumbs down" button although I'm not sure Kunena allows that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic