Do you still own your original LP's and albums?

neverfoundthetime

Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:24 pm

I wonder, who else has done this terrible deed: dumped their entire vinyl LP album collection which they had owned since childhood? I just did the dirty deed, out of sheer desperation while moving house. You see, it was a matter of necessity: no time, no space, no point, as I’d just given away my turntable. I’d never have believed it could be done of my own free will. But, I did it, dumped them all. Well, nearly all. Some had been moved the day before and survived by sheer luck. I did save a couple deliberately though. Thought they might be important or valuable some day. What survived? Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (how could anyone in their right mind dump that!) Band on The Run, In Search of the Lost Chord by The Moody Blues, Broad Sword by Jethro Tull and, for some reason, Ian Jury and The Blockheads (don’t ask!).
I now have all my music saved digitally which is just brilliant and I’ve been collecting every song I ever wanted but didn’t have by hook or by crook. I have no sympathy for the recording industry when they moan or threaten in respect of copyright. I have bought most of my favourite music not just once but several times over: on vinyl on tape and on CD. I truly own that music.
Why is it that a CD just doesn’t seem to be as valuable as a vinyl album?
Anyway, I thought I’d ask the question: Who still owns all their LP’s and albums and which is their most precious?

Chasplaya

Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:29 pm

I have whats left after shipping them to NZ 26 years ago, the carrier lost half my collection , insurance yep replacement nope! Lost one rare double Hendrix album, I got from a student at College who was short of money for ahem well it all went in a puff of smoke.

I hear they are making a comeback and turntables are now in the shops with USB connections. The industry states they can't recreate the same quality on CD or DVD as they could on vinyl.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:33 pm

I had The Ruttles album and considered it valuable for it's rarity and satirical value... but someone nicked it! I'm never going to make a fortune on EBay now...

houtexcc

Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:14 pm

Is this where I confess to having a basement with somewhere around 5,000 LPs? Anybody interested in buying the whole collection?

One of my most prized is John Renbourn's The Hermit, autographed while he was in the basement and we were listening to Walter Gerwig playing Bach on the lute, an album from the 50s or 60s.

I guess you had to be there, I'm certainly glad I was.

Neil

BRBbrb

Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:22 pm

I confess - yes still have them; only about 50 tho. Two of my favs (Skynard's Street Survivor w/ flames & Heart's Little Queen) are hanging on the wall above my organ (don't play that well either). Really feel like they're works of art!

Chasplaya

Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:24 pm

BRBbrb wrote:
I confess - yes still have them; only about 50 tho. Two of my favs (Skynard's Street Survivor w/ flames & Heart's Little Queen) are hanging on the wall above my organ (don't play that well either). Really feel like they're works of art!
Now thats an idea i'd never thought off using them as artworks hmmm, just gotta convince her who must be obeyed now lol! Hmmm maybe not she has some vinyl also shudder....

AcousticAl

Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:32 pm

Neil wrote:

One of my most prized is John Renbourn's The Hermit, autographed while he was in the basement and we were listening to Walter Gerwig playing Bach on the lute, an album from the 50s or 60s.

Neil
Did you ever let him out? :laugh:

Yes, I have almost all my LPs still. They sit in a box in the garage except two that are in frames and hanging on the wall.

haoli25

Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:05 pm

Neil wrote:
Is this where I confess to having a basement with somewhere around 5,000 LPs? Anybody interested in buying the whole collection?
Neil

Put them in the Audio Store. :)

pak452

Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:56 pm

I love my old LPs. Need another turn table though.

BigBear

Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:28 pm

I had them all until about 6 months ago when I pitched all of them and all my cassettes (~1,000). Most had been played to death (even though I had a really good phono cartridge and stylus) and I figured evertything had gone to CD and digital. I had all of them on CD anyway! I was in a "throw out" mood that day!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic