First musical memory.

AndyT

Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:39 am

Come to think of it, Doesn't Peter and the Wolf sound a lot like the theme to McHales Navy?

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:45 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Chances are, I could have researched the question of First Musical Memory by simply looking in my parent’s collection of classical LPs.... but seeing as I dumped them all (as mentioned in my post) last Thursday, I’ll have to rely on a very imperfect memory!
I’m not sure in which order, but these will be front runners:
1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky
Morning Mood and Hall of The Mountain King by Edvard Grieg
The Archers radio theme music (Chas will know that) – used to march up to stairs to bed when that came on
Summer Holiday by Cliff Richard
633 Squadron Film music (that and The Dambusters, eh Chas?)
HMS Pinafore by Gilbert and Sulivan
Wonderful Land by the Shadows
She loves You - Beatles
Good old Ron Goodwin, classic stuff.

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:55 am

Then comes 617 Squadron..

This story is being retold by Peter Jackson in a soon to be released movie.

BRBbrb

Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:22 am

My parent's music I'd like to forget - can you say Lawrence Welk every frickin Sat. night?

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:55 am

.... 633 & Dam Busters, you nailed it Chas. What about the Archers? Was that a theme in your house? My mother would listen to that religiously so it was the sound of my childhood for sure. Bizar moment a few years back: I was over in Blighty visiting a friend and I drove up to find his wife sitting in the driveway in the car for about 10 mins. I waited. When she finally came out I could hear the Archer's theme blaring away... she stopped to listen as it (a daily radio soap) was STILL on the radio 40 years later!

... And Barb, Chas beat me to it on Dan Fogelberg and Listen to The Pouring Rain.... well, he is Grand Poobah and I was away working....

AndyT

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:12 pm

Radio soaps?? Man you guys are really old... LOL

I remember listening to Fred Allen. I'm pretty sure they were playing the recordings since the show ended before I was born... LOL

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:21 pm

Great thread Andy..... you pulling our strings and getting us all nostalgic pining for the soaps on steaming valve radios.... those were the days my friend....

AndyT

Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:14 pm

I used to carry around an AM crystal radio I built waaay back when.

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:29 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Great thread Andy..... you pulling our strings and getting us all nostalgic pining for the soaps on steaming valve radios.... those were the days my friend....
Hows this for nostalgia...

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:35 pm

Way to go Chas! Knew you'd unearth it if it was out there... I can still hear the voices .... old Arther Gabriel (was it?)... which reminds me of one of my mother's imortal sayings: "I'll never forget what's his name!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic