First Album you bought with your own money

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:07 pm

1978, I was 8 years old and I bought the LP titled "You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish" by REO Speedwagon. Now their later stuff (anything after Hi Infidelity) was not too good, but I remember their early stuff was cool to me and my friends. I also bought a ton of K-Tel mixed stuff back then....

:)

BigBear

Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:17 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
BigBear wrote:
I love it! Now we've got Neil hijacking threads on his own forum!! ROFL! :laugh: Matt and Jim you guys don't have a prayer!!

The first album I purchased was in 1967 (I think)- Disraeli Gears by Cream It featured a barely known guitar player by the name of Clapton (never heard of him!) but had another great guitarist who would go on to fame as well, Felix Pappalardi of Mountain.

It's still a great album and really started the psychadelic rock era!!
"Barely known guitarist!!!" IN 1966 this was written "Clapton is God" on the wall of an Islington underground station. You knew this would get a bite I reckon so not to disappoint. Just cos America was behind the eight ball in recognition of the "cream of the crop" amongst blues and jazz musicians in the exploding British music scene.

Take that!! lol

Well, I lied a little bit! Bears do that sometimes!! Maybe we had heard of him a little!! lol! Did I get your attention?

I think this was the start of the second British Invasion. We couldn't get enough of that bluesy English sound. Cream, the Stones, the Animals, Traffic and on and on. 1965 to about 1972 is still my favorite period in music! Much of it from the little island across the pond!! LOL! :laugh:

AndyT

Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:47 pm

By the way-

Mine was an record that had a song taking up a whole side of the album In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Probably part of what got me into Progressive Rock a year or so later. A secret indulgence (maybe not anymore) is every once in a while, when nobody is around, I still have to break it out and crank it up.

Maybe this will open up another thread on guilty pleasures (in the musical sense). Come on, confess!

Neil

jim56

Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:52 pm

Neil wrote:
By the way-

Mine was an record that had a song taking up a whole side of the album In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Probably part of what got me into Progressive Rock a year or so later. A secret indulgence (maybe not anymore) is every once in a while, when nobody is around, I still have to break it out and crank it up.

Maybe this will open up another thread on guilty pleasures (in the musical sense). Come on, confess!

Neil
I still have that album somewhere in a box in the basement. My parents didn't particularly like listening to it. Mostly because the only record player (Hi-Fi) was theirs in the living room.

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:01 pm

I read somewhere the song was meant to be 'In The Garden Of Eden', but the singer was so high that it came out as In A Gadda Da Vida. Just playing at the moment and it sounds like slurred In A Garden of Eden lol.

AndyT

Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:20 pm

A commonly related story says that the song's title was originally "In The Garden Of Eden" but at one point in the course of rehearsing and recording, singer Doug Ingle got intoxicated and slurred the words, creating the mondegreen that stuck as the title. However, the liner notes on 'the best of' CD compilation state that drummer Ron Bushy was listening to the track through headphones, and couldn't clearly distinguish what Doug Ingle answered when Ron asked him for the title of the song (which was originally "In-The-Garden-Of-Eden"). An alternate explanation, as given in the liner notes of the 1995 re-release of the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida album, is that Ingle was drunk and/or high when he first told Bushy the title, and Bushy wrote it down. Bushy then showed Ingle what he had written, and the slurred title stuck.

Catman

Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:53 am

Neil wrote:
By the way-

Neil
Ok, confession. I still play Gary Numan "Pleasure Principle" and like it. Remember he was the one who had the hit "Cars" in 1980. Some claim he is the father of synth-pop--not a normal genre for me. As a guitarist it may be the only album (and CD) I have that has NO guitar on it! Now my kids like it too...

Also, a little DEVO now and then (am I dating myself well enough?)

cabro

Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:54 am

Neil wrote:

As I type this I am hearing Dick Hyman's The Minotaur playing randomly in my shuffled iTunes progrock playlist.
A friend and I used to listen to "The Electric Eclectics of Dick Hyman almost daily. This is probably the first mention I've heard of that record in over 30 years.

I think the first album I ever owned was "Tommy" by the Who. I had a gazillion singles due to my family being involved in a greasy spoon type restaurant with an old juke box. When the guy came to change the records, he would give the old ones he took off to my mother who would bring them home to us heathens. Being the oldest, I usually had first pick. Until I was about 15, all we had to play these records on was a mono, box type record player that looked something like this but not as nice.

Chris

rcsnydley

Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:30 am

That was long ago, but my less than stellar memory says it was "Aqualung" by Jethro Tull.

Ric

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:34 pm

Ummmmm, I seemed to have missed the bus on this thread but as the threads don't vanish from the face of TG, I can still get my tuppence (then) in: Question of Ballance by the Moody Blues was my first buy, followed by Seventh Sojourn and Threshold of a Dream. Spent my entire student days listening to the Moodies.Much earlier in 1967, my sister sent me Magical Mystery Tour as a Christmas present.
... and we desperately need to get a Poobah hat on Neil if he's going to behave like the rest of the Muppets....! :woohoo:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic