One chord songs...what where those again?

quincy451

Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:31 pm

In one of the campfire song lessons Neil talked about one chord songs. He said there was not many then started to name off about 4. I can't think of any, never seen one. So if someone could be so kind as to tell me the name of one or two, I could go looking for the tabs and see what that looks like. I am curious.

I know I could go back and listen to Niels vids...but I am being lazy and he was kind of quick when he mentioned it. It wasn't a main part of what he was covering.

Thanks,
David

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:36 pm

quincy451 wrote:
In one of the campfire song lessons Neil talked about one chord songs. He said there was not many then started to name off about 4. I can't think of any, never seen one. So if someone could be so kind as to tell me the name of one or two, I could go looking for the tabs and see what that looks like. I am curious.

I know I could go back and listen to Niels vids...but I am being lazy and he was kind of quick when he mentioned it. It wasn't a main part of what he was covering.

Thanks,
David
I can't recall either interesting though I probably will go and check out the vids again. Reminds me of Lou Reed though; Who said "One chord is fine. Two chords is pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:01 pm

I can think of a few songs that could qualify as one chord songs. Most are actually repetetive riffs and not just strumming the chord. Songs like "Big Fat Mama" [Mississippi Fred McDowell], "Smokestack Lightning" [Willie Dixon, Howlin' Wolf], "Do the Do" [Wolf], "Graveyard Train" [CCR], "Bootleg" [CCR], and others never change chords.

AndyT

Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:21 pm

Bayou Country is the one I heard Neil mention.

AndyT

Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:35 pm

A few of John Fogerty's songs fall into this category, or at least close. Born On The Bayou really added D and A to the E7 vamp for a little variation. Songs I would consider one chord wonders (without going back and listening) would be

Keep On Chooglin'
Commotion
Run Through The Jungle? (may have had a change to a major IV in a minor key)

And of course the types of blues tunes brought up by Greg.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic