How much do you play?

BigBear

Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:01 am

Chasplaya wrote:
AndyT wrote:
Yeah, I feel guilty about that a bit. This forum is my relaxation at the end of the day.
You do realise this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black don't you?

If you two keep posting back and forth to each other you'll be up to 5,000 in no time!!! :lol:

BRBbrb

Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:26 am

Ok truthfully - when the kids want on the pc & I have energy; that's when I practice!

suziko

Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:27 pm

I started playing about 2 years ago, but for the first year I just noodled around whenever I thought about it. This year my new year's resolution was to play at least 5 hours/week. I almost never play on the weekend so that amounts to about 1hr/day. This might sound like the most obvious statement possible, but it was amazing how much faster i made progress when I started practicing regularly and for a longer stretch each time. of course, this forum is becoming a distraction for me! I should be practicing right now! ;)

eagle670

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:27 pm

My practice time starts at 10:00pm during the week and lasts most nights until 11:00, sometimes 12:00am, it just depends on how energetic I am. Weekends I spend about 2 hours a day practicing. I usually start out playing a half dozen songs that I know, then work a little on riffs and then log in and play along with Neil for awhile. Lately it has been a real challenge to stay focused, because of all the new material Neil has added. I guess that is a good problem to have though.

willem

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:50 pm

Over day time i drive a cab (contract/drives) and between the drives i'm at home and play a hour or study a lesson,the most i strum because a friend of mine does the riffs and i try them a little bit(more and more), one time in the month we come with friends together and then we try the new or old stuff,the lady's are singing then,in hours to the week i practice 5 hours, but at one time one hour and then relax......

Chasplaya

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:06 pm

BigBear wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
AndyT wrote:
Yeah, I feel guilty about that a bit. This forum is my relaxation at the end of the day.
You do realise this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black don't you?

If you two keep posting back and forth to each other you'll be up to 5,000 in no time!!! :lol:
And if you keep posting about how much we post then you won't be far behind and none of us will have spent any time playing at all!!! lol

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:26 pm

How much do I play? Well sometimes it's hours on end and other days it's just a few minutes. Down at the lake on a warm evening with folk, It'll go on till the fingers of my left hand cramp. Last few days not had too much playing time but I plan to get some discipline into my practising...... soon.... if I'm good......

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:27 pm

I play for my own enjoyment. It's my relaxing time. I play between 1-2 hrs a day. I play and sing to myself most of the time. Mostly love songs....sigh;)

wrench

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:34 pm

karl01 wrote:
:blink: Just wondering how many hours a day you play guitar. How much time spent learning new songs, scales, riffs etc. vs just playing stuff you already know. My wife say I play too much now that I joined this site.

Karl
Karl,

Today marks exactly six months that I've been playing guitar. I started out barely playing 15 or 20 minutes because of finger pain. It took about 3 or 4 months to get tough enough to actually limit my playing time for some reason other than pain. I play *every day*, including the day I had hand surgery, which was the second day I owned a guitar.

On weeknights I play 90 minutes, much of which is like Bear said - scales, some easy stuff and some hard stuff. I work on clear notes and intelligent chord changes. On weekends, I go crazy - I usually play 3 hours twice on Saturday, and 3 hours on Sunday. The Sunday session is my "concert session" - I try to play as artful as I can, and I'm making progress - both my wife and my dog stay in the house now for the whole show.

On weeknights, the 90 minutes breaks down into about 15 minutes on scales, about 45 minutes working on technique, and about 30 minutes playing through what I can already do easily. I close the weeknights with hand exercises on a toy rubber football. The 3 hour Saturday sessions are for lessons and new songs. Sunday is all presentation - I play everything I can as well as I can.

wrench

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:36 pm

Paul, thou shall not go to thy room and pluck the guitar in lamentable manner and sing love songs to only the chair. 'Tis too sad, too sad! Life must be lived. :-)

But you're right.... sometimes there's no alternative.....:S

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic