The Totally Guitars Story: How it all happened

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:21 am

Mostly odd, but sometimes interesting thoughts pop into my head in the middle of the night (especially when there's nothing else in there!). As we're all so happy to be here, I reckon that just about every TG member would like to know exactly how TG happened. Who, what, where, when, why. What do you say, Neil, Matt? This is not Tom Petty. (sorry to spring this on you when you're all snuggled up in bed on a Sunday night but over here we're in to Monday big time!

BRBbrb

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:44 am

I do know I started w/ Neil a few yrs. ago on Youtube while searching for guitar instuctors & found him one of the best on there. My thought is this morphed from his popular on there.

goldleaf

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:33 pm

No Way, 2 years ago. Was it called Totally Guitars at that time? tell me more, I thought TG started in the last 6 months. Neil makes it sound like TG in a fairly new thing or thats what I thought. Gary

BRBbrb

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:38 pm

No; I meant he's been teaching on Youtube for a few yrs.; this site is relatively new.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:51 pm

..... calling Neil and Matt.... anyone out there?

TGMatt

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:29 pm

Neil and I may share some more with you..well chat about it ...

Some of it needs to be out of the public forum..But I will say the following

Neil has not been on Youtube for anything like 2 years..his first video went up as a teacher when I met him and we decided to do this about a year ago..He has has a concert video up for a couple of years , but until the last year happened

I have a series of online busineses, and decided I wanted to learn guitar, I lived in Los Gatos where Neil is based..and met him, began playing, he came to my home , met some of my staff, and over time I talked to him about taking it online..I have been working in the online space for 7 years now..and I had no idea what to expect otehr than I loved Neil, and we had developed a real friendship, and I knew I could make it happen, and his teaching style and natural propensity to listen then do what I asked..he is both humble and talented, these have been crucial components along with his obvious skill to get this working to this level so quickly ...

we started posting some lessons, to test, then built a basic site, and then a slightly bigger site .

We rebuilt the site again before the Target launch and that was 5 months ago, so we had our product launch then...

I can promise you its only the beginning for you founders though...we intend to reward your loyalty over teh longterm, and things will keep impoving, in fact I am ensconsed in Scotsdale this week meeting with Big JIm and a couple of other key staff members to take this to the next level.

Maybe well share some more some other time, but for now I hope that satiates your curiosity.

Cheers

Matt

BRBbrb

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:03 pm

No disrepect Matt but according to his Youtube site; he joined in April '08; so about 1 1/2 yrs.

TGMatt

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:32 pm

Yep..since I created the account as I look back it was opened about then(time flies)

But that wa steh very very beginning ..most lessons went up in teh last year, major site got released 6 months ago and product launch too..

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:04 am

Maybe well share some more some other time, but for now I hope that satiates your curiosity.
Cheers
Matt
Thanks Matt! Of course, we all realise that the story is being written NOW.... it's rgeat (is Matt-style typing contagious?!) fun being a part of your vision.

Music Junkie

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:54 am

TGMatt wrote:
Neil and I may share some more with you..well chat about it ...

Some of it needs to be out of the public forum..But I will say the following

Neil has not been on Youtube for anything like 2 years..his first video went up as a teacher when I met him and we decided to do this about a year ago..He has has a concert video up for a couple of years , but until the last year happened

I have a series of online busineses, and decided I wanted to learn guitar, I lived in Los Gatos where Neil is based..and met him, began playing, he came to my home , met some of my staff, and over time I talked to him about taking it online..I have been working in the online space for 7 years now..and I had no idea what to expect otehr than I loved Neil, and we had developed a real friendship, and I knew I could make it happen, and his teaching style and natural propensity to listen then do what I asked..he is both humble and talented, these have been crucial components along with his obvious skill to get this working to this level so quickly ...

we started posting some lessons, to test, then built a basic site, and then a slightly bigger site .

We rebuilt the site again before the Target launch and that was 5 months ago, so we had our product launch then...

I can promise you its only the beginning for you founders though...we intend to reward your loyalty over teh longterm, and things will keep impoving, in fact I am ensconsed in Scotsdale this week meeting with Big JIm and a couple of other key staff members to take this to the next level.

Cheers

Matt
Matt:

Thanks for sharing this, it is quite interesting. Can't wait to see what you guys have up your collective sleeves......

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic